300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this heart condition ruin me?

I have a "thing", I don't even like calling it a condition, called Atrial Fibrillation. It is an arrhythmia that currently is controlled by medication. Nothing about my life is different besides taking the medication which is only temporary. I can actually have a procedure done that has a 70% success rate that completely cures me of this but my cardiologist said it would be a last resort. I am curious if this would ever affect me getting hired in any way. Thanks.

Originally posted by Doozy View Post
    I have a "thing", I don't even like calling it a condition, called Atrial Fibrillation. It is an arrhythmia that currently is controlled by medication. Nothing about my life is different besides taking the medication which is only temporary. I can actually have a procedure done that has a 70% success rate that completely cures me of this but my cardiologist said it would be a last resort. I am curious if this would ever affect me getting hired in any way. Thanks.
    I'm not medically qualified to answer your question. The specific answer to your question will have to come from any department you apply to.

Comment

As PhilipCal said, each department will have its own standards. Generally speaking, it will depend not only on your specific condition, but on how it reacts when measured under physical stress.

For further information on how your condition is often evaluated, take a look at: http://www.post.ca.gov/selection/pdf/Cardio.pdf
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Those are pretty much the responses I figured. I am not really too worried about it. I put my body under stress every day by working out. I never go into afib while awake it only happens while I sleep and then I wake up to it.

Is this something I would want to ask a department right now before I even apply?

Comment

Originally posted by Doozy View Post
          Those are pretty much the responses I figured. I am not really too worried about it. I put my body under stress every day by working out. I never go into afib while awake it only happens while I sleep and then I wake up to it.

Is this something I would want to ask a department right now before I even apply?
          You could ask, but once again, I'm not certain a Recruiter would be the one to answer your question. Should you apply, and should you make it to the Physical exam, you'll be examined by a Physician who will report his findings as they measure against a department's established medical standards. If for some reason you were to fail the exam, it would be incumbent on you to seek a second opinion (usually your own physician) at your expense. Even were you to do that, there's no guarantee the department would overule the opinion of their physician. As a practical matter, I suggest you research the physical requirments of any agency you might apply to. Measure yourself objectively against those standards. If you feel you meet them, then by all means enter the process.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 14624 users online. 461 members and 14163 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X