300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closing remarks on the oral: Advice please

Okay, the one thing I've been told over and over is that after the oral board says, "This concludes the oral examination. Do you have anything you want to add?" NEVER say "no" and end it at that. Always go on more about yourself and why you would make a good officer, etc. I have done this to the best of my ability and so far passed all the orals I've taken. However, all the scores I received I would like to improve upon. I understand a good "closing argument" can really sway a board's opinion and bring your score up. From those of you who made it all the way (or at least had a high oral score), what were some of the things you said? For those of you who have sat on these boards, what are some things you've heard before that really impressed you? Details please
    "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
    -Chris Rock

End it with a bang.

Yes, it's true, most oral board will give you a chance to ask them one or two questions, and give a closing statement.

I highly recommend at least one easy question, such as (How many applicants does your department plan on sending to the academy? or (When do you anticipate the next academy start date? Something easy.....don't ask about money, or anything that can be answered through research.)

Closing statements is a must: What do you say, and how do you say it.

You have to reach down inside of you, and come up with a summary of your life, what this would mean to you, what this would accomplish, and how proud you would be to work for their dept.

ex. I would like to take this opportunity to thank the oral board, Sgt. John Doe, Detective Jane Doe, and Ms. Michelle Doe for your time in allowing me to come in here and interview for this enviable position as Deputy Sheriff with the Orange County Sheriff Department.

Second, I would like to reiterate myself again as an applicant. I have done everything humanly possible to prepare myself for this position of Deputy Sheriff. Starting with education: list it.......work experience.....list it...... physical attibutes.......list it......and by being a good person of moral character. (sell yourself, and list all of your strong points, and what it can do for the department....ex. good people skills, good written skills, academic acomplishments, physical strength....ex.1 miles in 6 min...etc..etc..,

Finally, I would like to say, the Orange County Sheriff Department is my first choice, and I would be proud, and feel very priveleged if I were able to successfully move onto the next phase.

I have been blessed with a beautiful family or belong to a beautiful family, and there is nothing more that I would want right now in this chapter of my life is to join the Orange County Sheriff Department family.

Thank you very much for your time. (Eye contact is very important)

Good luck.
    Good Luck and Test Well!
    Author of: How to become a peace officer by Wayne LeQuang (google it)

L.B.P.D. Academy #75
    6 month of pain, for a 30 year career.

visit: youtube.com "Black Monday" Great Video from LASD.

Comment

That makes a lot of sense. I copied it to my documents as a template to try and follow. Thanks!
      "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
      -Chris Rock

Comment

I also took several orals before I got on somewhere. wayno is right on. I never did ask any questions, and in fact, my board did not ask if I had any closing remarks. It was stated the interview was over and the panel got up and began to gather their belongings. I asked if I could make a few remarks of my own and they looked at each other, decided I could and sat down. I did almost exactly what wayno said. I told them why I wanted to be an Officer, why I would be a great Officer and why they should hire me over anyone else. You have to walk a fine line in being arrogant, but be very confident in yourself. If you ever get into law enforcement, you are going to have to be sure of yourself anyway, you might as well start now.
        The truth to mirrors is they tell no lies, you see yourself through your own eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by KsPD View Post
          I also took several orals before I got on somewhere. wayno is right on. I never did ask any questions, and in fact, my board did not ask if I had any closing remarks. It was stated the interview was over and the panel got up and began to gather their belongings. I asked if I could make a few remarks of my own and they looked at each other, decided I could and sat down. I did almost exactly what wayno said. I told them why I wanted to be an Officer, why I would be a great Officer and why they should hire me over anyone else. You have to walk a fine line in being arrogant, but be very confident in yourself. If you ever get into law enforcement, you are going to have to be sure of yourself anyway, you might as well start now.
          Now that's assertive!

I've had panels where they pretty much said, thanks, get out, next please, and I've had several where they asked if I had any questions or wanted to say anything else, which I proceeded to do until they dragged me out (figuratively, of course). It helps to have your "shpiel" (sp?) memorized, so if you didn't get the chance to cover all your talking points, now's the time. Nothing worse than firing only half your magazine.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6530 users online. 370 members and 6160 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X