300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conditional job offer given! - now the wait

Well, after placing first on my oral board interview, I was given a conditional job offer! The next week I aced my poly, and later that same week, took my psyche. The department was really cooking me through the process, but it has been over a week since I took my psyche and I have yet to hear anything from the department. I FEEL like I did really well on the psyche, but I am a tad nervous that the Chief was calling me every couple of days to schedule me for the next step, and now nothing.

Am I a worried for nothing? I really can't explain how excited I am to be right on the cusp of getting into the academy... the wait is killing me!

Anyway, I want to thank everybody on this forum for all the help. I don't post very often at all, but I’ve read almost everything. I can't wait to join the ranks!

-HC

How exciting this must be, and nervous at the same time! But good job man, good luck and Im sure you'll hear from them soon enough!

Congrats!

Comment

Got my rejection letter today. I have no words. I went from being the departments #1 pick, to a reject. On to the next department.
      Last edited by holycow; 09-30-2008, 11:14 PM.

Comment

cow, I am sorry to hear you were rejected...However you are not a "reject." I felt the same way 2 years ago after applying to Alaska State Troopers and got a 1 min call (if that), did something different in the military applied to several agencies and now I am close to getting hired. Don't get your spirits down, lots and lots of agencies out there...Good Luck!
        Justin Stuart

Comment

Wow, sorry to hear that. Keep trying! Did they state why they changed their mind?

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys. I emailed the Cheif to ask what might of happened, where I was weakest, if I failed any particular piece of the process, and where I can work to improve, etc. I doubt I will hear back though.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that Holycow, you got so close too. At the very least, you know how the hiring process is first hand, and there is no reason not to keep applying.

I do feel for you though, and I really wish you the best of luck.
              Eric

Comment

Thanks for the encouraging words my friends. It WAS kind of a big blow to be that close, only to end up not making the cut. It's ok, the low has passed and this weekend I will be back on the fast track doing what I can every day to work my way onto the next department.

It isn't that I wasn't picked that bothered me so much (not the first time) , it’s that the department was really warm and friendly up to the point of my rejection letter, then became almost cold and rude to me. That is the part of applying to a P.D. that I don't understand. Is it really hard to get a response along the lines of:

"While we can't directly coach you on what you need to do to get hired, your weakest area and the area we chose to go with somebody else was during the "xxxxx" stage. Good luck to you and we hope to see you apply again in the future".

Is that really asking too much? I didn't even get a reply. Oh well, their loss, right? Thanks for the encouraging words.

HC

Comment

Originally posted by holycow View Post
                  It isn't that I wasn't picked that bothered me so much (not the first time) , it’s that the department was really warm and friendly up to the point of my rejection letter, then became almost cold and rude to me. That is the part of applying to a P.D. that I don't understand. Is it really hard to get a response along the lines of:

"While we can't directly coach you on what you need to do to get hired, your weakest area and the area we chose to go with somebody else was during the "xxxxx" stage. Good luck to you and we hope to see you apply again in the future".

Is that really asking too much? I didn't even get a reply. Oh well, their loss, right? Thanks for the encouraging words.

HC
                  The psych is part of the medical. Cops lack the training and expertise necessary to pass judgment over, or intelligently discuss the medical and psychological aspects of the screening process. That's why ADA requires that medical inquiries be put off until the conditional offer of employment and that they only be handled by medical professionals.

If the Chief, or any non medical person were to involve themselves in a medical issue and discuss your psych results with you, it could be taken as an ADA violation. In addition, the medical professionals they pay to review the tests usually charge a large hourly consultation fee the department is not likely to pay in order to satisfy your curiosity. I'm afraid you're going to be out of luck on this one.

FWIW, here is the link to California's psych dimensions. While they are California's standards, they're pretty common for most of the country. Take a look and see how you compare.
                  http://www.post.ca.gov/selection/psy...cal-traits.pdf
                  Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

So your saying that they can't even tell me it was the psych test in general? Even with the details of the test left under wraps? I guess that makes total sense.

Comment

Holycow, there really is no way for us to really know why you were rejected. I know what you're going through, I was rejected once also. All I can say is keep trying! Don't give up! I didn't and it payed off for me!

Good luck!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5544 users online. 383 members and 5161 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X