300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about what agences to apply with

Howdy all. I got a question regarding what agencie(s) to investigate about employment. I am looking to begin the process around a year from now and thought maybe I could get some advice. First of all, where I live, there is the city police, county police and several smaller police forces that are essentially just under contract with the county police. Then there is the State police which has really always interested me and actually got me into LE in the first place because our neighbors son is Trooper.

Now, the city police around here tend to have a "bad" reputation for being un-professional in their tactics and even during the state and county ride alongs the Officers told me that they would never want to work for the city police. So really I am ineterestd in working for the State police or the county police in which I live. However, on their websites it says that they are full (have been for the past year) and not accepting apps. The city police however have a continual hiring process where one can apply whenever due to the size of the force and the amount of officers they have retiring/transfering. Also, I would be willing to move anywhere in the US to pursue this dream of mine so I am plannning on applying with several out of state agencies and just see what happens.

So anyways, I guess my question is what would you guys do in my situation? Im gonna be done with my degree in about a year to year and a half so I wanna start planning for this soon. Would you recomend applying with the city even though they have a pretty poor reputation or taking my chances elsewhere? or just sending in apps to as many places as I can? or does this look bad to an agency when they see a bunch of apps going out?

Anyways, any help would be really appreciated guys and I know its kind of alot of info but I look forward to hearing from you guys!!

Cheers-Elliot

Elliot, I suggest that you thoroughly research any department which interests you. Most, agencies have websites, and most will list the basic entry requirements in place. Measure yourself honestly and objectively against those standards. The Idaho State Police enjoy a very good nationwide reputation. Budget constraints are currently effecting many departments at all levels, and could emerge as a factor in your immediate prospects for employment. That said, if a given agency is accepting applications, or testing for Officers, you should apply and enter the process. When all is said and done, you'll probably hear many pros-and cons concerning various agencies. I'd take these with an initial grain of salt, and attempt to do a little checking on my own. It's entirely possible that you'd enter a municipal or county department, then test for the State Police. The objective is to get a start in your career, and usually that begins with the first agency which offers you employment. Good luck in your efforts.

Comment

thanks for the info philipcal!! But when applying, if I state on the application that I currently have 5 other Apps out at different departments does that look bad in their eyes or question your commitment?

Comment

Originally posted by Esalmon21 View Post
        thanks for the info philipcal!! But when applying, if I state on the application that I currently have 5 other Apps out at different departments does that look bad in their eyes or question your commitment?
        Most agencies will understand that many applicants apply at various departments. Some will get a little "sticky" over it, but most pretty much accept it. Shouldn't be a major concern.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4980 users online. 268 members and 4712 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X