Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I keep applying?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Should I keep applying?

    I recently had a COE withdrawn by a department after the background investigator contacted two of the other departments to which I had applied, and found out that I didn't do well on their polygraphs.

    Personally I did not lie on the polygraph examinations at those departments, however I did not pass. My hope was that those were just flukes that could be due to me being nervous, but the department which extended me the COE did not see it that way.

    Here is my question. Should I even bother continuing to apply at other agencies? It's obvious to me that being rejected by three departments looks very bad. So bad in fact that I believe it puts serious doubt on if I will ever be able to find a job in this field.
    What is Perseverance?
    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.


    BOP - BPA - ICE

  • #2
    Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
    I recently had a COE withdrawn by a department after the background investigator contacted two of the other departments to which I had applied, and found out that I didn't do well on their polygraphs.

    Personally I did not lie on the polygraph examinations at those departments, however I did not pass. My hope was that those were just flukes that could be due to me being nervous, but the department which extended me the COE did not see it that way.

    Here is my question. Should I even bother continuing to apply at other agencies? It's obvious to me that being rejected by three departments looks very bad. So bad in fact that I believe it puts serious doubt on if I will ever be able to find a job in this field.
    I would wonder if there is more than what is being said here in the post.

    My thoughts are this----never give up----if you have the will to be a cop then you will find a way. It falls into the survival mindset.

    If in fact your background is good, then find smaller departments to get a start in and move up after some good expereince. I worked in Kansas for a few years and know there are departments screaming for applicants to fill positions.

    I am still a bit leary of the comment "My hope was that those were just flukes that could be due to me being nervous," makes me wonder...

    Comment


    • #3
      I was told that on one of the tests it showed me being dishonest on a question with concern to theft. I personally have never stolen anything, that is why I thought it was some sort of fluke. I am not stupid enough to have even wasted my time applying if I had stolen anything. The fact that I was hired as a reserve deputy should say something about my integrity.

      Now I understand that other PD's will contact every agency where I applied and ask why they didn't hire me, and these agencies will say I am dishonest based on the polygraph. Whether that is the truth or not is irrelevant in their eyes.
      What is Perseverance?
      -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
      -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
      -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.


      BOP - BPA - ICE

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
        I was told that on one of the tests it showed me being dishonest on a question with concern to theft. I personally have never stolen anything, that is why I thought it was some sort of fluke. I am not stupid enough to have even wasted my time applying if I had stolen anything. The fact that I was hired as a reserve deputy should say something about my integrity.

        Now I understand that other PD's will contact every agency where I applied and ask why they didn't hire me, and these agencies will say I am dishonest based on the polygraph. Whether that is the truth or not is irrelevant in their eyes.

        Read the origional post. Apparently you do not have the mindset for this profession. Contact the pd that offered and withdrew for a reason. Ask for a meeting to find out what the circumstances are that prevented you from being selected. Anything you think is simply conjecture until you actually confirm it.

        Comment


        • #5
          At the end of the day, you know your background better than any one of us. I'm not even going to get into the "controversey" concerning Polygraphs. If there is an issue in your past, which would DQ you, or make an agency reluctant to hire you, you know about it. OTH, if you have a clear background, if you meet the minimum standards for employment with a given agency, you should continue to apply.That decision will be yours. My suggestion to you is, honestly measure yourself against a given department's hiring standards. If you meet, or even exceed these standards, then you should apply.

          Comment


          • #6
            I applied as a corrections officer before I got to the polygraph and failed miserably and I told the truth. I didn't stop applying with Police Departments 2 time made it to the polygraph they did the CVSA aced it. I let the officer giving the test know about my first polygraph and he laughed told me the guy giving it must have been an idiot. I actually tested for 5 departments and reserved for a year and a half before making it all the way through the process. Now I am a sworn officer. I admit I got a little down about the first time and was nervous the second but I didn't give up because I knew this is the career I wanted more than anything. This line of work is not easy to get in to you have to push yourself and show that your willing to do whatever it takes to get here. Now I get to do what I love everyday. Same can happen for you its all about how bad you want it and are willing to work for it.

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm telling you, you might want to look up this way. Some departments give polygraphs, but not all of them do. When I first stated with the smaller department I didn't have to do a polygraph. But now that I'm with a larger department I had to do one to get hired here.

              I don't like polygraphs, don't trust them, and I don't think they are accurate, but to get the job in most places you have to do them. I tested one place and the alcohol subject came up as inconclusive. I told the polygraph-er the last time I drank(The night before I got married) and he basically called me a liar(I was so sick my wedding day I swore to never drink again). He tried giving me some story about how cops at his agency get trashed all the time. I told the polygraph I have no reason to lie and I was telling him the truth.

              Needless to say I didn't get hired there. I applied with the county the city is located in a couple months after the city turned me down. I was told basically I had nothing to worry about and they wouldn't hold the polygraph against me and they would do their own test. Less than two weeks after my background started I was told I was disqualified. I called the Chief deputy and asked what the deal was. He told me since the city had already polygraphed me and I didn't pass they would save money by not having to give me one, so the county turned me down because the city's polygraph.

              A friend of mine tested for that same city department and the polygraph-er told him he was lying about how many years he went to college. Needless to say he had college transcripts and receipts to back him up and he got hired. Since this has happen both of these agencies has been in the news for different alcohol related incidents involving it's officers. One was the incident where the Sheriff, two SGT.s were riding down the road with the Chief Deputy(they say he wasn't drinking yeah right) on the interstate drinking liquor.

              Such as someone else said you may want to start at a small agency to get your foot in the door and then after a while look larger later. Ultimately I passed my polygraph to get hired at my department. I found when I started thinking about my breathing I really did bad, but when I didn't really give a crap I did great. Good Luck in whatever you decide to do, but I wouldn't give up if this job is what you really want to do.
              Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

              Comment


              • #8
                Polygraphs do not detect lies, but physiological responses that are caused by the various questions being asked. Control questions are usually asked, along with irrelevent control and normal questions. Usually the condemning questions are the ones that the interviewee later answers and explains in detail after the test is over. These are the answers that the polygrapher gives the impression that there was a (problem) with. As we know, polygraph tests are inadmissable in court and aren't even allowed to be used in premployment in the private sector, and I think, or at least I hope, that most agencies don't put too much stock in them for preemployment purposes.
                Last edited by Lawman17101; 10-09-2008, 01:51 PM. Reason: bad spelling

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by chiefcop View Post
                  Read the origional post. Apparently you do not have the mindset for this profession. Contact the pd that offered and withdrew for a reason. Ask for a meeting to find out what the circumstances are that prevented you from being selected. Anything you think is simply conjecture until you actually confirm it.
                  Some agencies, like the one here in Fayetteville, NC., will not tell the individual why they were not chosen to be hired.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Politics

                    Sometimes it helps if you know sombody.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Lawman17101 View Post
                      Polygraphs do not detect lies, but physiological responses that are caused by the various questions being asked. Control questions are usually asked, along with irrelevent control and normal questions. Usually the condemning questions are the ones that the interviewee later answers and explains in detail after the test is over. These are the answers that the polygrapher gives the impression that there was a (problem) with. As we know, polygraph tests are inadmissable in court and aren't even aloud to be used in premployment in the private sector, and I think, or at least I hope, that most agencies don't put too much stock in them for preemployment purposes.
                      Very true, but I can see TheKansas point. A lot of larger or medium sized departments here in the Midwest put everything on the polygraph test. It can also hurt you with future employment to with a lot of departments. I wish that wasn't the case, but a machine can decide if you get your dream job or not. Too bad around here there is no kind of appeal process for polygraphs like there are in some other states.
                      Last edited by nebraska_deputy; 09-21-2008, 04:00 AM.
                      Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by nebraska_deputy View Post
                        Very true, but I can see TheKansas point. A lot of larger or medium sized departments here in the Midwest put everything on the polygraph test. It can also hurt you with future employment to with a lot of departments. I wish that wasn't the case, but a machine can decide if you get your dream job or not. Too bad around here there is no kind of appeal process for polygraphs like there are in some other states.

                        I agree with you. It is sad that some departments put as much stock in the polygraph as they do for preemployment uses.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          If you told the truth on the failed polygraphs then I wouldn't be concerned...

                          If it were me, I'd walk right into the next agency that I applied for and straight-up tell the background investigator that the people who administered the polygraphs to you were flat-out wrong and incorrect. It's the truth... what more should you say?

                          Comment

                          MR300x250 Tablet

                          Collapse

                          What's Going On

                          Collapse

                          There are currently 3278 users online. 154 members and 3124 guests.

                          Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                          Welcome Ad

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X