300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of questions

Okay so I want to be a cop in Chicago, however I heard it is very difficult to become a cop in any major U.S. city. I have no criminal record, only things I have been involved with was ditching class in high school twice. These were cops that worked at the school, I wasn't arrested but I was brought back to the school and received two days of detention. Back in 2001 cops came to my house after my parents called saying I was being suicidal, which I was not. Only thing that happened was they gave them a number for a psychologist. Now in my life I have been to about 5 different psychologists and used zoloft for a about 2 weeks, I used to have behavior problems. Nothing violent just oral. Just so I don't sound crazy I will mention that many of these problems were from seeing my mother high on heroin, being abandoned by her and my father, you know 8 years of wondering if your mom will ever come back or if she is dead really has a toll. I have experimented with marijuana, last time was last year that lead to me having a heart attack at 19 years old, along with high blood pressure, a family history of that and heart disease and I was using sleeping pills for insomnia. Since then I have not used and I don't see myself ever smoking again. Also it was a mild heart attack, leaving my heart 10% damaged. The only thing I had to do for rehab was cardiovascular exercising, which is about a 15 minute jog 3 times a week. No I am not fat and I don't really eat much junk food. So based on all of this, could I be a cop? Will any of this get me disqualified?

Chicago PD has a website. That would be my first stop. Research the basic entry requirements to determine whether or not you should apply. The issues you referenced will come up at some point in the background process. Be truthful and accept responsibility for any errors in judgement you may have made. If you can, speak to a Recruiter to see if it's worth your time to apply.I'm not medically qualified to address the health issues you mentioned. You'll be examined by a City Doctor, and he/she will pass/fail you based on Chicago PD Medical Standards. Might not hurt to research those as well.

Comment

I just spoke with a friend who is a lawyer and they said I have the right to block my record when I was a minor which most of this occurred except for the heart attack. I emailed a recruiter from Evanston and they said they don't do do medical background and they pay $7k more than CPD. I am only in my first year of college so by the time I finish with 4 years of school then the academy I should be good for hiring. Plus I have 2 good friends who are cops so I can use them as a referral. And juicesnn4e2, I wouldn't consider those mental health problems as lots of adopted kids go through coneling at some point in their life. Can't blame the kid for having some problems when both parents leave.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5676 users online. 314 members and 5362 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Yesterday.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X