300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying Questions

Ok I am 21 years old, from New Britain, CT. I am currently going to school for my 4 year degree in Criminal Justice. (Last year - Graduating in May)

After reading a few posts, I am in love with these forums.

When I turned 18, I racked up about 5 grand debt in Credit Cards. I was having a hard time making payments on these debts, so throughout the years I have missed about 3-4 payments. My dad decided to bail me out and pay it off.
    -------- Will this bite me when applying?
    -------- I will also have mega student loans to pay off after Graduation. Will this?

My other question is: My future goal in life is to move down to Florida to be a Police Officer. Though i reside in Connecticut currently, how would I come about applying for a Department in another State?

Hope you al can respond with good advice.

Thank you in advance.

Andy
    Last edited by AndrzejIciak; 09-16-2008, 10:19 AM.

Originally posted by AndrzejIciak View Post
    Ok I am 21 years old, from New Britain, CT. I am currently going to school for my 4 year degree in Criminal Justice. (Last year - Graduating in May)

After reading a few posts, I am in love with these forums.

When I turned 18, I racked up about 5 grand debt in Credit Cards. I was having a hard time making payments on these debts, so throughout the years I have missed about 3-4 payments. My dad decided to bail me out and pay it off.
    -------- Will this bite me when applying?
    -------- I will also have mega student loans to pay off after Graduation. Will this?

My other question is: My future goal in life is to move down to Florida to be a Police Officer. Though i reside in Connecticut currently, how would I come about applying for a Department in another State?

Hope you al can respond with good advice.

Thank you in advance.

Andy
    Please understand that my reply is going to be very general. I can't speak for any agency. The primary concern of most departments is the manner in which you're currently handling debt. Obviously, you don't want to have a debt load you can't handle. Living above one's means is often the cause of those situations. Accounts which are significantly late, have been referred to collections, or charged off, will come to back to bite you. With the current economic situation, banks are becoming more aggresive in collecting delinquint accounts..The student loans you mention shouldn't be too much of a problem, as long as you're repaying them per the agreed upon schedule. In general, watch your debt load. Use your credit wisely. Regarding moving to Florida. Do some research regarding LE jobs/requirements etc. Plan any move you may think of making. Good luck.

Comment

AndrzejIciak: Graduating college students are in the perferred hiring group. As a recruiter my principle concern is that the candidate had visited the gym and not eaten too much junk food in college.

The financial issue is a concern. However I am looking for a pattern of conduct as opposed to single events. We also look at an incident to see how the person resolved the issue.

Student loans, not an issue. Actually when I was a patrol supervisor I could always count on new officers with student loan always to volunteer to work overtime.

The recruiter in me would welcome you to consider NC. This is the 5th largest city in NC. Our Officers are employees of this Department while attending our Academy receiving full pay and allowance.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3228 users online. 164 members and 3064 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X