300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue with background....any advice?

I am an applicant who has applied with several agencies within my state. I have been DQ'd twice after the integrity interviews. I worked as a bartender during my senior year in college. There was a lot of pressure from the senior bartenders to not ring up drinks in the cash register, which would increase our tips at the end of the night. Although we worked in pairs, we split the tips at the end of the night. Even on nights were I did ring up all drinks, I still took stolen money since we split the tips. My estimated contribution to stolen money is around $200. Needless to say, I quit after I graduated. That was over two years ago, and both agencies that I applied for have a 5 year time requirment for an undetected crime of this nature. Both of the interviewers told me that I would make a great officer and would have hired me in a heartbeat if it were not for this blemish in my past and that I should keep applying to other agencies, and retest with their agency in a year. I was wondering why I should re-apply with them the following year if the minimum is five years and its only been three years since the theft occured? Also, do I still have a chance with other agencies who might have lower standards when it comes to an undetected crime of this nature? Or do they all have the same standards? Any advice or input would be much appreciated.

wow, my agency, that wouldnt be a problem at all. i admitted to much worse and got hired. we all make mistakes, thats a given. I get free drinks at places all the time. So am i accepting stolen merchandice.....no

Comment

What you did wasnt stealing. You were giving "promos" or taking care of good customers with "buy backs" its common place in bars and everyone knows it. You would not be lying or fabricating anything by explaining a practice that is common in the bar and restaraunt industry. When I was a bouncer in college we used to let the pretty girls in for free. Were we stealing admission to the club and giving it to the girls? Of course not, this too is a common practice that was encouraged by management. This reminds me of a college budy who said that he had distributed marijuana by passing a joint, and got DQed for ever for it. This isnt distribution as every body knows its "Puff, Puff, Pass"!!!

Comment

I didn't explain the situation properly....

The customer WOULD pay for the drink(s). We would not ring up the drink in the cash register. The money that SHOULD have gone into the cash register was going into our tip jar.

Comment

Originally posted by knudy007 View Post
          The customer WOULD pay for the drink(s). We would not ring up the drink in the cash register. The money that SHOULD have gone into the cash register was going into our tip jar.
          And that's your problem in a nutshell. Are you DQd forever? Absolutely not. Let the required time pass. Re apply!!

Comment

That's a felony in NC. You did the right thing by being honest. Cops who would give you the advice to fudge anything are those that won't be around long and have integrity issues themselves. Most of us have more respect for those that can be man enough to admit the mistake and deal with it. Let the time lapse and re-apply. Best of luck to you.
            sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

+1 Smurfette

I did a lot of dumb crap that got me dq'd. I stayed honest about it and eventually got hired. I may not have my dream job but at least I got it the right way.
              “Most people spend more time and energy going around problems than in trying to solve them.”
              ― Henry Ford

Comment

Given the situation...

Should I keep re applying to other agencies with the hope that their standards for an undetected crime of this nature is three years and not 5? Do hiring standards vary by department?

Comment

Should I keep re applying to other agencies with the hope that their standards for an undetected crime of this nature is three years and not 5? Do hiring standards vary by department?

Hiring standards vary by department. The more time you put between the incident and the time of application the better it is. Just be honest about it and try other agencies.

Comment

I think that time will help you out... let some years pass between you and this incident ( described above ) and keep trying.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                      That's a felony in NC. You did the right thing by being honest. Cops who would give you the advice to fudge anything are those that won't be around long and have integrity issues themselves. Most of us have more respect for those that can be man enough to admit the mistake and deal with it. Let the time lapse and re-apply. Best of luck to you.

Ehh what? That sounds more like "larceny from an innkeeper" than fraud. Have your blue book handy to correct me if I'm wrong?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5345 users online. 335 members and 5010 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X