Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background and family questions

Hey all,

I don't post much, but I've recently been hit with a predicament. I'm starting background with a few departments and I'm concerned that my family might have an impact on my chances.

Long story short, I've never been a pot smoker, but the majority of my immediate family partakes. I've never seen it as too big an issue until recently, when my brother and dad decided they were going to get prescriptions and grow weed. I'm very close to my family and there is no possible way to cut ties, nor would I want to, but I am concerned their scripts would shine a bad light on me. Granted, everything they are doing is legal in Cali, but the overall stigma of a family of "pot smokers" worries me. So...what do you guys think, should this be something that would be better to try and keep from the BI or should I tell them and hope for the best? I know I should be completely honest, but I don't want to ruin my chances by admitting my family is full of hippies!

Actually, I don't think its legal to grow it in California even if they have a "prescription" for it.....but I might be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by habs35 View Post
      Hey all,

I don't post much, but I've recently been hit with a predicament. I'm starting background with a few departments and I'm concerned that my family might have an impact on my chances.

Long story short, I've never been a pot smoker, but the majority of my immediate family partakes. I've never seen it as too big an issue until recently, when my brother and dad decided they were going to get prescriptions and grow weed. I'm very close to my family and there is no possible way to cut ties, nor would I want to, but I am concerned their scripts would shine a bad light on me. Granted, everything they are doing is legal in Cali, but the overall stigma of a family of "pot smokers" worries me. So...what do you guys think, should this be something that would be better to try and keep from the BI or should I tell them and hope for the best? I know I should be completely honest, but I don't want to ruin my chances by admitting my family is full of hippies!
      You don't get to choose your family, but I will offer you some thoughts. Federal law prohibits the growing or cultivation of Marijuana, and would trump any state law to the contrary. Rather than get into any of the philosophical, legal, issues of "Medical Marijuana" I'll suggest this to you. While you certainly don't get to choose your family, you do get to choose whether or not to associate with them. I say this in light of your post which seems to indicate they're rather heavy into the use of an illegal substance. I can understand anyone's desire to remain close to their family. It's decision time for you though. If you truly desire to be a LE Officer, you're probably going to have to consider cutting your close ties with your family. Continued close association could have an adverse effect on any LE application you make.

Comment

no post 6---
        Last edited by BLETfun; 09-13-2008, 04:16 AM. Reason: wrong forum

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5534 users online. 299 members and 5235 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X