300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background Issue

I am considering a career in law enforcement. The only setback I have is an issue that occured approx. 9 years ago. I was arrested on a domestic violence charge due to an argument that I had with my current wife at the time (now divorced). This was not a physical altercation, but I was taken in due to suspicion of dv, and for being intoxicated. Eventually all charges were dropped. Now since conviction of dv is automatically disqualifying, am I still qualified if I disclose the circumstances of this issue? It was 9 years ago, and I WAS NOT found guilty of any charges whatsoever. Totally clean record ever since. Please advise.

It was nine years ago and the charges were dropped (as opposed to being found not guilty). My guess is it won't be much of a problem, but it all depends on your agency.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

You were not convicted of DV, so you are not going to be DQ'd because of that. You may or may not find a department that understands what a load of crap the DV laws are and may or may not consider the arrest itself a deal breaker. That is going to be up to each individual agency to decide.

Comment

LE agencies take any DV situations very seriously. This is true in the case of both the suspect and the victim. What you're going to have to do, and this is a must. Fully disclose the arrest and the surrounding DV ramifications. Don't even think of not fully disclosing the incident. What I'm trying to get at here, is simply this. If you fully disclose the situation, you may have a shot. If you fail to disclose it, I can almost 100%guarantee you'll be DQd. This would be true, even if there were no DV aspects to your situation. Obviously, I can't speak for any department, but as I noted, and depending on a department's evaluation of the circumstances, it's possible you'll have a shot.

Comment

I had always planned on fully disclosing the entire issue. I just wanted to make sure that being arrested for it was not automatically disqualifying in the first place. Like I said, it was an issue where I was intoxicated, she was angry, and I was taken in. Case dropped a few months later. If memory serves me correctly, I think my ex-wife may have written a letter to the court stating that there was not a physical confrontation. I was not arrested by the police dept.I am applying for either, but a neighboring one. I will disclose all the information, I just did not want to go through the entire application process and find out that the arrest itself will DQ me. I know that it probably does not look good to have that on my record, but I am hoping with my military service and that being the only blemish on my record, I will still stand a chance. I was in the USMC Infantry for 4 years, active duty.

Comment

Military aside, your specific situation will depend on the agency(s) you are applying too. Some may DQ from the start. Don't be suprised, but they will grill you over the arrest, whether you were charged or not. Fact is you were still arrested for it, however if you are upfront, well you just never know. Best of luck.
            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

no post 5---
              Last edited by BLETfun; 09-13-2008, 05:16 AM. Reason: wrong forum

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3807 users online. 205 members and 3602 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X