300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My scenario

Ok, well first off I am new here and have been looking for a place like this for a long time so its great to finally be on a board where I can recieve legitimate advice.

So, here is my scenario. I have always wanted to be in Law enforcement and still have great inclinations of one day achieving this. Law enforcement is in my family. Currently I am in my 3rd year of a criminal justice major at Boise State University and this summer I was (this story is not in anyway manipulated) sitting in a park on the dock and I had been drinkin a bit and somehow the local police got news of us there and came and arrested me for DUI driving even though my car was parked almost a half a mile away (note I did the drinking after I had parked my car and came to the dock, I guess a witness claimed she saw me driving). I am in the proccess of getting it dropped with the help of my attorney but the question is this- am I ultimately screwed forever in attaining a job with a police department? Even if it does get dropped will the BI still look at it as a DUI? I know my local police departments require to not have been chraged withiin the 3 previous years of applying. If this gets dropped and I were to apply would they consider this as a DUI and reject me? Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated and other than this I am one clean dude. No druge use (maybe a puff of some marijauna a few years back) or charges, awesome credit, great physcial shape, excellent work history, good grades, etc...

Thanks alot guys and I really look forward to spending some time on these forums with you all who seem to really know your stuff..Thanks!!

Cheers

You'll need to wait a few years before you can apply. The incident is too recent. But, for what is worth, you can still become a LE ofc with a DUI conviction. Also, a bit of advice... Maybe a puff of dope a few yrs ago??? Dont bring that mindset to a background investigator. You will be looked at as being evasive and dishonest. And probably get DQd. You're a grown man. You should know exactly how much marijuana you smoked and exactly when it was. Additionally, you noted no drug use. One time marijuana usage is in fact, drug use..

Not trying to say you fit the profile. Just trying to make a point. Because, so many applicants get DQd for trying to minimize things. Or, they claim they cant say for sure, when the offense took place nor how many times they committed it. Its stuff like that that gets applicants DQd. Not DUIs.
    Last edited by Joe159; 09-10-2008, 01:56 PM.

Comment

awesome, thanks for the advice. But one question I do have is that if the DUI gets dropped (which there is a high chance it will) and I apply, will the agency still look at it as a DUI even if it gets dropped?

Comment

Originally posted by Esalmon21 View Post
        awesome, thanks for the advice. But one question I do have is that if the DUI gets dropped (which there is a high chance it will) and I apply, will the agency still look at it as a DUI even if it gets dropped?
        The answer is "Yes". if in fact, that's what you arrested for. The department is interested in what you were arrested for to begin with. Any disposition of the charge, including dismissal, is incendental to the original arrest. When you complete your Personal History Statement or similar document, list the arrest. the date, the time. the disposition. You'll be given an opportunity to explain the circumstances. Accept responsibility, dont evade, make excuses, or rationalize. One arrest of the type you mentioned, probably won't DQ you.

Comment

How old are you? just wondering

Comment

I am almost 21. So of course I still have plenty of time to work on my employment history and build up some of my other strengths. But I just really want to get started in this as soon as I can. Thanks for the replies guys!

Comment

You May Wish to Wait....

I am almost 21. So of course I still have plenty of time to work on my employment history and build up some of my other strengths. But I just really want to get started in this as soon as I can. Thanks for the replies guys!
              for just a couple of years before trying your hand at the application process. It seems that you are doing a great job, as far as your education is considered, so just keep your head on straight and don't get into any more trouble. Remember, you are trying to get into a career path that requires you to act as a public role model. Gotta be doing it better!!

Comment

Ok, well first off I am new here and have been looking for a place like this for a long time so its great to finally be on a board where I can recieve legitimate advice.

So, here is my scenario. I have always wanted to be in Law enforcement and still have great inclinations of one day achieving this. Law enforcement is in my family. Currently I am in my 3rd year of a criminal justice major at Boise State University and this summer I was (this story is not in anyway manipulated) sitting in a park on the dock and I had been drinkin a bit and somehow the local police got news of us there and came and arrested me for DUI driving even though my car was parked almost a half a mile away (note I did the drinking after I had parked my car and came to the dock, I guess a witness claimed she saw me driving). I am in the proccess of getting it dropped with the help of my attorney but the question is this- am I ultimately screwed forever in attaining a job with a police department? Even if it does get dropped will the BI still look at it as a DUI? I know my local police departments require to not have been chraged withiin the 3 previous years of applying. If this gets dropped and I were to apply would they consider this as a DUI and reject me? Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated and other than this I am one clean dude. No druge use (maybe a puff of some marijauna a few years back) or charges, awesome credit, great physcial shape, excellent work history, good grades, etc...

Thanks alot guys and I really look forward to spending some time on these forums with you all who seem to really know your stuff..Thanks!!

Cheers
                Sounds like there is more to the story than meets the eye. This DUI would not fly in Massachusetts. Especially if there is any type of time delay between when the witness saw you driving and when the police finally caught up to you. Who is to say you were drunk at the time the witness saw you driving? Did you maybe have a crash that you left the scene of?? If not I dont see why an officer would waste his or her time on such a weak case...And in Massachusetts this would remain on your criminal record even if the charges were dismissed. All it would take is some explaining of the circumstances and you should be all set. I imagine that this would be true in most states.

I realize you are young but you need to lose the "clean dude" and the "maybe a puff of marijuana." Remembering when and where you last smoked marijuana should register with someone unless they do it so much it is impossible to remember.

I once interviewed a prospective police officer candidate. He admitted to me and the interview board that he last smoked marijuana over the fall (it was the following spring) with the rest of the high school football team from which he had graduated a few years earlier. I gave him an A for honesty but he didnt make it any further in the process.

Comment

The story is this...I was planning to meet my brother on the dock of a lake as he was heading across the lake in the boat to pick me up. So I came in the front entrance and I guess I forgot to pay the toll of 50 cents to have a parking spot. So I parked and got out (with me I was carrying some beers in my backpack) and walked almost 10 minutes to get to the dock from my car. As I was sitting on the dock I decided to have a few beers as I was waiting ( I know, this WAS A MISTAKE and I whole heartedly regret it). I guess the story goes that when I was driving in, I wasnt going the 5 MPH speed limit and passed through the toll box and being the really tiny town that this took place in ( pop: 900) the police are really looking for out of towners to mess up in their town. So as I was sitting on the dock, the police had been called and found me sitting on the dock. I said I hadnt been driving and that I was waiting for my brother to pick me up. They went on to say that the attendent saw me driving erradictly and therefor had evidence to arrest me for DUI. I was not going to sit there and argue with them so I just went with it. Ya, basically a really crappy experience but I really learned alot from it all and have a much greater understanding on how the tinniest mistakes we may think are innocent can seriously effect the future. But ya, the police have no video/audio at all so I think the prosecuting attorney for the county will just dismiss the charges. If it is in fact dismissed will this still qualify as a "DUI" under a LE applications? I am just so mad at myself for doing something so stupid and am really hoping for the best. Thanks guys!!

Cheers-Elliot

Comment

no post 2 ---
                    Last edited by BLETfun; 09-13-2008, 04:13 AM. Reason: 1

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6314 users online. 364 members and 5950 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X