300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worried after recent job

I recently lost my job. I started a job at a restaurant that I didn't really want about two weeks ago. At the time it was my only job so I told them I would be working full time. Then, two days later, I got a substitute teaching job and told the restaurant that I would only be able to work about three nights a week and no lunch shifts except on weekends. Needless to say, they weren't happy but what could they do? About four days after I got this job, I took the host test at the restaurant. This test was LOOONG...yeah, just for a hosting position. Over fifty short essay/short answer questions. I answered every question and guessed at the ones I didn't know. Turns out, i wasn't supposed to guess if I didn't know and I got chewed out for writing things "that were never mentioned in the policy books." Thus, they deemed the test a failure. At the same time, they said they felt in general that I did not have the sense of what was needed to work in a restaurant. This WAS the first hosting/serving job I've ever had; anyway, because of this, coupled with my lack of availability, I got let go. The manager DID say that he liked me personally (well, this one did, the GM didn't) and that he would give me a good reference for any job.

However, I'm still worried. I'm very good at my subbing job and I have a good work record prior, but I'm set to begin a background investigation with my next department and I was wondering if this would pretty much kill my chances.

Thoughts?
    "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
    -Chris Rock

Originally posted by GangGreen712 View Post
    I recently lost my job. I started a job at a restaurant that I didn't really want about two weeks ago. At the time it was my only job so I told them I would be working full time. Then, two days later, I got a substitute teaching job and told the restaurant that I would only be able to work about three nights a week and no lunch shifts except on weekends. Needless to say, they weren't happy but what could they do? About four days after I got this job, I took the host test at the restaurant. This test was LOOONG...yeah, just for a hosting position. Over fifty short essay/short answer questions. I answered every question and guessed at the ones I didn't know. Turns out, i wasn't supposed to guess if I didn't know and I got chewed out for writing things "that were never mentioned in the policy books." Thus, they deemed the test a failure. At the same time, they said they felt in general that I did not have the sense of what was needed to work in a restaurant. This WAS the first hosting/serving job I've ever had; anyway, because of this, coupled with my lack of availability, I got let go. The manager DID say that he liked me personally (well, this one did, the GM didn't) and that he would give me a good reference for any job.

However, I'm still worried. I'm very good at my subbing job and I have a good work record prior, but I'm set to begin a background investigation with my next department and I was wondering if this would pretty much kill my chances.

Thoughts?

mmm.... you got "let go", meaning you were fired. You lasted 2 weeks at a restuarant, failed a "host" test, didn't read/understand the instructions before you took the "host" test. The GM did't like you, but the one manager who did like you would give you a GOOD reference for ANY job after knowing you for ONLY 2 weeks....

For your sake, hopefully the background investigator won't put too much emphasis in a "restuarant" job... but, being fired after only 2 weeks is not good.

If I saw it this way, so could the background investigator.... All in all, I think you'll be fine, I suggest providing good explanations for all of the above actions. And be sure to keep your substitue teaching job ABOVE AVERAGE in ALL areas.

Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan View Post
      mmm.... you got "let go", meaning you were fired.
      Yes

You lasted 2 weeks at a restuarant, failed a "host" test, didn't read/understand the instructions before you took the "host" test.
      No, they never gave instructions. I just took the test the way I took all tests in college: Guess if you don't know. The person who gave me the test did not say not to do this.

The GM did't like you, but the one manager who did like you would give you a GOOD reference for ANY job after knowing you for ONLY 2 weeks....
      He knows I want to be a cop. He basically meant he won't say "for the sake of your city's safety, don't hire this guy. He's an incompetent piece of crap," if/when the BI comes around.

For your sake, hopefully the background investigator won't put too much emphasis in a "restuarant" job... but, being fired after only 2 weeks is not good.
      I was never given any indication or warning that I was doing anything wrong either. Just sprung it on me today.
      "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
      -Chris Rock

Comment

Gang Green- I had a "less than desireable" employment history, and I am in the Academy now. Like you I was "fired" from a job, but I was honest about the situation. Just keep being persistant and learn from every mistake you make.

Comment

Mention your brief restaurant career in your PHS /interview with the BI. Simply be forthcoming, basically as you were with us. I'm assuming your sub teaching job is considerably more important to you than the server/host gig was. That being the case, its critical that you compile a good work record there. I don't see the restaurant deal being a killer provided you're honest about it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5958 users online. 347 members and 5611 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X