300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Words of Encouragement..

I wanted to address some private messages I have received, you know who you are. I came here to receive some criticism, negative or not, that is what I wanted and was expecting. However I did not expect to get some very negative pm’s though. They were unnecessary. I don’t care what is said too me personally because I am 28 years of age and quite frankly, I’ve heard it all and I’m too strong willed. But in the future, consider some of these young folk’s feelings. They are very impressionable and can be easily discouraged. Try being more optimistic and give some words of encouragement. Some young men actually sent me pm’s telling me they were worried to apply anywhere because they have a similar background like myself and they read my post titled “Would Appreciate Feedback. “

For those of you young folks that I speak of, and those I did not answer through pm, don’t ever let someone tell you that you can’t and won’t do something. If a career in LE is what you want, don’t stop until you get there. If you want my advice, I have spoken with many LE officers, my law professors, and listened to what those had to say here on these forums and I applied it too my “plan.” The fact is that agencies use different hiring protocols. Take me for example. You can clearly read about my background on my previously stated post, and you will see that many suggested that I’m “not hirable,” and I respect their opinion because many of them are in LE. However I am now 2 steps from getting hired at my #1 department of choice and it is the first I have applied too. Some have wondered how I got as far as I have thus far so here it is..

What I have not stated on these boards is that I have been through a local police academy when I was 21 but because of my first DUI, my chances of getting hired were ruined for 3 years. This helped because it shows that I can hack it in the academy. Also, I am now 3 semesters away from obtaining my B.A. and with the department I have applied for, education has made a big difference from what I was told from one of the Lt.’s who interviewed me. She told me that cadets that are hired by the department are required to succeed in the top 5% of all cadets attending the academy. This is a demanding request because I know how tough the academy is. In my departments experience with hiring cadets, the ones with a college education can more easily stay within the top 5% of the academy class and they are most likely to successfully complete the academy training. So does having an education help? In my opinion for agencies in my area, YES. The department encourages education so much that college students get priority shifts to help work around their school schedules. Also, after taking the CA. POST exam and the department exam, I scored in the top 8% of all applicants. I did not fail 1 polygraph question, and for those who are in LE, you know the types of questions that can be asked so I have proved my honesty. So for those of you who sent me pm’s stating that with my background I should not have gotten as far as I have in my application process, well sorry to disappoint but I have. Thank-you all who have replied to my posts, you were all very helpful. Remember this post was just in response to the private messages I received.

I have not read your previous post, but judging from your statements above...I don't see why or where there would be any need for any negative comments sent to you through PM. Again, this is just in response to your thread here without ever reading what made any LEO poster decide to send you any "nastiness?"

I can't wait to read through your other thread and see what is up. Regarding what you have said, that's great that you are persevering and trying, no matter what people are saying....you're not letting that stop you from doing what you need to do, good for you.

Now, if I write another response, that's because I've read your original thread and will/will not understand the reasoning for you receiving those PMs.

Comment

OK...read it.

Originally posted by kid_koala View Post
      I wanted to address some private messages I have received, you know who you are. I came here to receive some criticism, negative or not, that is what I wanted and was expecting. However I did not expect to get some very negative pm’s though. They were unnecessary. I don’t care what is said too me personally because I am 28 years of age and quite frankly, I’ve heard it all and I’m too strong willed. But in the future, consider some of these young folk’s feelings. They are very impressionable and can be easily discouraged. Try being more optimistic and give some words of encouragement. Some young men actually sent me pm’s telling me they were worried to apply anywhere because they have a similar background like myself and they read my post titled “Would Appreciate Feedback. “

For those of you young folks that I speak of, and those I did not answer through pm, don’t ever let someone tell you that you can’t and won’t do something. If a career in LE is what you want, don’t stop until you get there. If you want my advice, I have spoken with many LE officers, my law professors, and listened to what those had to say here on these forums and I applied it too my “plan.” The fact is that agencies use different hiring protocols. Take me for example. You can clearly read about my background on my previously stated post, and you will see that many suggested that I’m “not hirable,” and I respect their opinion because many of them are in LE. However I am now 2 steps from getting hired at my #1 department of choice and it is the first I have applied too. Some have wondered how I got as far as I have thus far so here it is..

What I have not stated on these boards is that I have been through a local police academy when I was 21 but because of my first DUI, my chances of getting hired were ruined for 3 years. This helped because it shows that I can hack it in the academy. Also, I am now 3 semesters away from obtaining my B.A. and with the department I have applied for, education has made a big difference from what I was told from one of the Lt.’s who interviewed me. She told me that cadets that are hired by the department are required to succeed in the top 5% of all cadets attending the academy. This is a demanding request because I know how tough the academy is. In my departments experience with hiring cadets, the ones with a college education can more easily stay within the top 5% of the academy class and they are most likely to successfully complete the academy training. So does having an education help? In my opinion for agencies in my area, YES. The department encourages education so much that college students get priority shifts to help work around their school schedules. Also, after taking the CA. POST exam and the department exam, I scored in the top 8% of all applicants. I did not fail 1 polygraph question, and for those who are in LE, you know the types of questions that can be asked so I have proved my honesty. So for those of you who sent me pm’s stating that with my background I should not have gotten as far as I have in my application process, well sorry to disappoint but I have. Thank-you all who have replied to my posts, you were all very helpful. Remember this post was just in response to the private messages I received.
      I don't know why you would get nasty responses either.
      Your background is not at all TERMINAL. I will say that if you do NOT get picked up by this agency you are in the pipeline with, then I would probably wait a bit--keeping your nose absolutely spotless!!--just to put some distance and time between you and those "life experiences". Depending on the agency, area, and type of administration running the place, your background could very well be a bad thing.
      Some agencies--I like to call them Code 4 agencies--like to hire perfect people with perfect credit, perfect scores, and perfectly fit. Then these people spend the next few years regretting their decision as they hear "war stories" from academy buds who weren't as perfect, but got picked up by slightly less shiny agencies...however, they find themselves doing a lot more policing and less armed security patrols.
      Either way, best of luck!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3127 users online. 177 members and 2950 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X