Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I do here

Hello everyone.

Approximately 2 years ago I decided that I wanted to be a LEO and I began applying to agencies in and around the rural area I live. My dream agency is the sheriff's office for the county I live in. They have approximately 23 deputies. When they have openings they advertise in local papers and area colleges and acccept applications over a two week period after which they begin the selection process. I've applied the last three times they had openings. After getting turned down the first two times I started going to school with a criminal justice major and doing ride-alongs with them.

The third time I applied I came very close to being hired. I got an 82% on my written, and had finally got the hang of the interview which is done with the sheriff and several members of the senior staff. All on the board said I had done great. The sheriff informed me they were hiring a young lady for the one opening they had at the time, but said he was asking the commisioners to allow him to hire two - one girl, and one guy(me). He went on to say that if the county commisioners didn't approve it, which they didn't, he predicted another opening in July and he said his intent would be to hire me at that time. I was also told I probably wouldn't have to take the written again, and possibly that I wouldn't even need to apply for the opening, although they still had to advertise it.

Well as June came and went there was no announcement in the paper and I stopped in to ask the sheriff what was up, and was told they didn't get the opening in the new budget. Just hang in there was basically what I was told.

In the beginning of August I was told by one of their Sgts. that they had just gotten an opening, and that I should stop in and inquire. I did, and spoke to the sheriff once again and he said that indeed there was one opening and there were possibly going to be a couple of others in another month or so. He went on to say that they would start the process around the beginning of November.

This week they've announced they have 1 opening and are accepting applications until September 17th. I haven't been contacted, but don't know if I should expect that or not. My question is should I go to see the sheriff and ask him if I need to apply or if I'll be taking the written again? Or should I just submit an application like everyone else and see what happens? I want to know where I stand in this. However, is it brazen of me to continue to go into the office and ask to speak with the sheriff? Or will it show them I'm determined to get this job?

Sorry this is kinda long, but I felt I needed to tell the whole story so you guys could see the complete picture.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and give any advice! It's very much appreciated!
    Last edited by Speedy 73; 09-05-2008, 10:58 PM.

Not Long...Well Defined and Clearly Written

I waited for two months with no word from the agency I just went through a BI with. I just happened to go to their recent Swearing In ceremony and was lucky to meet all the "brass" of the agency, including the Chief himself. I mentioned that I was still waiting, and one of the officers asked me if I had called HR. I, under the impression that you don't do that, said NO. She told me that I had every right to call and ask what my BI status was and so I did. I was told that I had passed BI and was at the top of the "Qualified" list with a Position Pending notation. Now, I was also told by a couple of Sergeants that they were 95% sure that my name was on the Chief's conditional offers list. I still don't have a definitive answer, but I do know a whole lot more since I took the initiative to find out.
    So GO FOR IT and ask someone--deputy, HR, and/or the Sheriff himself--and keep in mind that the worst that they could possibly say is NO...reapply.
    Last edited by New2TheLaw; 09-05-2008, 11:07 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

"hang in there...." goes a far way, the sheriff's right. It could be a long and frustrating experience just to get to the door, nevermind through it. Just keep at it, and ask away......you've been through some of the process and they already know you, keep reminding them that you do exist. From what I've read, you are far from "bothering" them or even "bugging" them, so go for it....ask again! There were a lot of people I knew that were very confused, annoyed or even upset about the whole hiring process to be LEO....but than there are also the ones who get in pretty quickly w/o having much hurdles or waiting too long....that, I could not understand LOL...they were blessed more I guess.

I was in the middle, never had to call and ask, but I did have to play the waiting game and had anxiety like all......."when are they going to call....dangit, it's been weeks!!!!" everyday, hoping that "unknown number" would flash on my cell phone while I was at work, at it happened...the very last call that announced that everything was good to go, who to call and who to report to...first was HR to get everything squared away (taxes, benefits, boring stuff...)

Good luck to you, and hang in there....literally.

Comment

Your situation is more common than you might think. It's fairly typical of many departments. I realize that sounds like a criticism, but it's intended more as a simple observation. I have two thoughts for you to consider. One, and providing this is still your "dream dept". Re-apply, or at least find out if you need to. Second. Don't limit your applications to this department alone. Apply at other agencies as well. I sincerely hope things work out for you.

Comment

In Absolute Agreement

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
          Your situation is more common than you might think. It's fairly typical of many departments. I realize that sounds like a criticism, but it's intended more as a simple observation. I have two thoughts for you to consider. One, and providing this is still your "dream dept". Re-apply, or at least find out if you need to. Second. Don't limit your applications to this department alone. Apply at other agencies as well. I sincerely hope things work out for you.
          I could not agree more. PCal might have also hit another area and you should consider this. The agency you like seems to like you. Why not hang a few more apps out there and when they ask you who else you are in the process with, when you tell them about the others it just may spur them into not taking you for granted. Who knows? You just might get in with one of the others while waiting for this agency to make up its mind.

Comment

Thank you gentleman for the advice and words of encouragement. I'll be inquiring this week as to where I stand in this process.

I'll also heed the advice to explore other options as far as agencies go. The kicker here is that another sheriff's office that I had applied to quite a while ago and never heard a word from, finally invited me to their testing this past February. Like a bonehead I didn't go feeling that my dream job was close at hand, and I felt investigating other agencies might jeopardize that. Lesson learned: NEVER ignore options! I now know this line of work is way too difficult to land in to be too picky about where you start out.

Anyway, this agency I'm currently going for has an expedited process. I don't believe they even do a psych. or poly. I should know one way or another within a month. I'll keep you gentleman posted. Thanks again!

Comment

Be Careful

Originally posted by Speedy 73 View Post
              Thank you gentleman for the advice and words of encouragement. I'll be inquiring this week as to where I stand in this process.

I'll also heed the advice to explore other options as far as agencies go. The kicker here is that another sheriff's office that I had applied to quite a while ago and never heard a word from, finally invited me to their testing this past February. Like a bonehead I didn't go feeling that my dream job was close at hand, and I felt investigating other agencies might jeopardize that. Lesson learned: NEVER ignore options! I now know this line of work is way too difficult to land in to be too picky about where you start out.

Anyway, this agency I'm currently going for has an expedited process. I don't believe they even do a psych. or poly. I should know one way or another within a month. I'll keep you gentleman posted. Thanks again!
              Expedited usually means that they do their best to compress as many facets of the hiring process close together in terms of time. It usually does NOT mean that important aspects of the BI--like poly and/or psych--are left out of your background packet.
              About that "bonehead" decision, you definitely should not ever do that again. I too pulled one like that last year. I had applied at two agencies when I was within a month of graduating the academy. Both seemed equally interested in me, and I liked the way both were run. Now simply because the one that was a bit closer to me moved a few steps further in the process convinced me that I was IN with them. When I was called by the other agency for a Chief's Interview, I declined. BIG MISTAKE! I was dropped by the closer agency about a week later for something they did not like in my BI. When I tried to reapply to the other agency, their Lieutenant pretty much told me that if I hadn't pulled out that I would have whizzed through their process in about 3 weeks. He did not give me a second chance. Yup, it sucked to be me for about a month or so.
              So what I say is do NOT turn down or neglect other possibilities until you have an absolutely IRON CLAD, bonafide job offer from an agency.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5561 users online. 342 members and 5219 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X