300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rejections

Out of curiousity, how many times did y'all get rejected before you were hired? I'm getting discouraged. Thanks.

I was rejected 4 times before getting a reserve deputy position. After that I was rejected 6 more times before being offered a full-time position, which I will start soon. Don't give up, I had been applying for over a year before being offered a job.
    What is Perseverance?
    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

I failed the written exam for my dream dept.(Chicago P.D.) twice! Needless to say, I was heartbroken.

I also applied to at least a half dozen other agencies before I recevied an offer. The key is to never give up on your dream and don't quit!

Apply, apply and apply until you get hired!

Comment

I was rejected well over a dozen times. However I knew I was right for police work and I manged to get my foot in the door and my employer couldnt be happier that I did. Good luck
        The greatest misconception in police work that gets more officers killed is alot of cops are still taught to use the "minimum force necessary". In reality a true professional will always resort to the "Maximum Allowable Force" to resolve a situation. They mean the same thing, however one is a restriction and the other is an empowerment.

Comment

Oooooh yeah...it sucks!

I think I have been officially rejected about 8 times now. I will admit that the first one was my fault. I STUPIDLY lied about how one job ended. It wasn't even a big deal, and they told me so, but the agency was one of those that bureaucratically then perceived that as a potential for fraud and dropped me from consideration. And bro, I had passed EVERYTHING so it really sucked to get that letter. Anyway, I did let it get me down for about a month and then I got myself up, dusted off my pride, chalked it up to experience, and began to apply again.
          I am about to get picked up by another agency--albeit smaller--but one that I honestly feel more matches my overall idea of what I wanted to do as a cop. So don't get discouraged! Learn from your experiences.
          How far did you get in the process?
          If you didn't pass the Oral Interview, practice speaking in front of another person who will give you honest feedback.
          If you didn't pass the PAT, get your butt into decent shape!
          If you didn't pass the Written, get a book with practice tests and/or develop your vocabulary.
          Now if you didn't make it past the Polygraph, the only thing I suggest is that you be honest with your tester and tell them that it makes you nervous and/or DO NOT LIE!
          If you screwed up on the Psych, well, again all I can say is that you need to know that the Psych is structured to screen for certain Personality Profiles. Do you really think you are the type of cop that particular agency hires? This one tidbit could save you lots of heartache. I applied to one smaller agency that seemed honestly excited about hiring me. I mean, the recruiter actually told me he wanted me to get hired over the other two prospects in the pipeline. However, as soon as they pulled my credit report and saw that my wife and I had had a few issues a few years earlier, they dropped me like a hot potato! This is why I cannot over-emphasize how absolutely ESSENTIAL it is to go on as many Ride Alongs as you can to make up your mind as to whether that agency will be right for you. And vice versa.
          Just like tazed, I knew I was perfect for law enforcement and my family supported my dream.
          Best of luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by New2TheLaw View Post
            I am about to get picked up by another agency--albeit smaller--but one that I honestly feel more matches my overall idea of what I wanted to do as a cop. So don't get discouraged! Learn from your experiences.
            Congrats~!

I think I remember your past rants before (or was it someone else) about being rejected, regardless.....things work out for a reason, seriously.

Comment

I was rejected about 4 - 6 times.
              The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
              that we are all that stands between
              the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

I have been applying for about 6 years now and finally received a job offer. I was rejected from 3 places due to inexperience or not high enough up the numbered lists. Been on 200+ hours of ride a longs and asked a lot of questions that really helped me get a better understanding of every step of the process. If this is what you want to do, there is a way. Keep yourself physically fit (I ran a marathon to keep me fit), Don't Lie, and most importantly keep your chin up! It's a competitive world out there.

Comment

I just wanted to mention that I know several people who were hired at the first agency at which they applied. Those people gave me some rather bad advice when I started looking for a job, and that resulted in me getting my hopes up high and being disappointed when I got that first rejection.

I'm sure others here know what I mean, the guy who gets hired at his dream agency on the first try.
                  What is Perseverance?
                  -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                  -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                  -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

You Betcha!

Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
                    I just wanted to mention that I know several people who were hired at the first agency at which they applied. Those people gave me some rather bad advice when I started looking for a job, and that resulted in me getting my hopes up high and being disappointed when I got that first rejection.

I'm sure others here know what I mean, the guy who gets hired at his dream agency on the first try.
                    Oh wow! Kansan did you touch a nerve with that one.
                    I went through an academy class where we were all uncommitted. At graduation, only three people got pinned...and I was above them all overall in the academy. One of them was/is a good friend and he readily admitted to drug use, theft, and a few other piccadilloes, but still got hired. Now, I will state here that I didn't know until later that he had someone inside the agency pulling strings for him...as did the other two cadets that were pinned! So, I guess what I am saying is that unless you know someone with pull at the agency, or you have an absolutely spotless background, it will take you a while to get hired.
                    Knowing what I know now, I would say that it really is better to get rejected at least once, because you work that much harder to make yourself appealing the next time around. You learn the "game" so to speak.
                    Obviously, it would be nice to go into any type of job and get hired right away, but I think its that much sweeter when you actually feel vindicated...the way it seems most of us here do.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3441 users online. 166 members and 3275 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X