300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running in the Academy

So, I have a few questions about the academy...

I have been going through the LAPD process to get hired and I am almost there! I have wantedthis ever since I was little and I dont want anything to stand in my way. But I feel as if I do! The academy physical part.

1. I have had a couple of knee surgeries, will they pass me to go through to the academy?
    2. Will they kick you out if you cant keep up with the rest of the group, while running? If you show that you are trying will they help you? I have started to run on my own to get in shape, im just not sure I can do it at their speed!

Help me!!!

When do you begin the academy? How long do you have to prepare?
    My suggestion is three fold:
    1) Don't let it happen. I know that sounds simplistic but you can always go just a little further than you think you can. You can always push harder than your mind tells you.
    2) The key is to work hard NOW... before you get the call. Committ to running at least 5 days a week. Start of with a short distance of 1 mile and work your way up to about 6-8 miles over the course of 2-3 months (if you have that much time before you go in).
    3) You CAN do it. Never let yourself think of anything but making it happen.

Here is a website that will be extremely beneficial to you. You can start in the program where ever you are at in your current fitness level. The program is called "Couch to 10k in 10 weeks".
    http://rununiversity.com/couchtok.html

Stay DRIVEN!!
    Last edited by Driven; 09-03-2008, 10:44 PM.
    "Rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior but for evil behavior. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same." ~~ God

Comment

When you go into any training situation you can only control two things.

Your fitness, and your attitude.

you should ensure these things are not a problem, as the factors you do not control are going to be enough stress.

M-11
      “All men dream...... But not equally..
      Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
      but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
      for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Well, I am waiting for the offer. So as soon as I get that they will give me a date I guess. So I am sure I have a month or so to go! I def. will start training. I am just afraid that I will quit my job, then go into training and then kicked out because of the running part. I can’t afford it, if you know what I mean?

Obviously, I will never know until I am there, but I appreciate the comments and help from all!!!

Again, if anyone knows how the academy is with the running let me know? I have had 2 knee surgeries, and I am wondering if they will kick you out it you can’t keep up with the rest of the group? Or will they see the hard work and help me out? I am so dedicated that I do not want anything to stand in the way!!!!!

Comment

Can you maybe go on their website, or call up the academy to find out when the date starts? That could help out with your training, and mindset.

Good luck though Armb127!

Comment

Originally posted by armb127 View Post
            So, I have a few questions about the academy...

I have been going through the LAPD process to get hired and I am almost there! I have wantedthis ever since I was little and I dont want anything to stand in my way. But I feel as if I do! The academy physical part.

1. I have had a couple of knee surgeries, will they pass me to go through to the academy?
            2. Will they kick you out if you cant keep up with the rest of the group, while running? If you show that you are trying will they help you? I have started to run on my own to get in shape, im just not sure I can do it at their speed!

Help me!!!
            If you're going through the LAPD process, I have two suggestions for you. Look into the CAPs Program. (Candidate's Assistance Program). This program can assist you in preparing for the Physical Abilities Test,and subsequent academy physical training. Second suggestion is to visit www.policebackground.net. This is a website dedicated to assisting/mentoring people in the LAPD process. Look the site over, and if it interests you, register and join in. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the info.
              I have looked at the CAPs program, the thing is, I dont have time to attend it because I have school after work. I would love to do that, it would be the best thing, just impossible! I guess I am just trying to get answers first before I quit my job. Thats what I really am worried about!

Comment

thanks for the help
                Last edited by armb127; 09-04-2008, 12:54 PM.

Comment

I don't mean to sound harsh but each of your posts seems to be setting up excuses for failure with your knee surgeries.

Your knees are only going to be a problem in a couple of instances. 1. They don't let you in, which there's nothing you can do about that, except maybe appeal. 2. They completely fail you and you are actually injured, in which case you shouldn't be in the job for the risk it poses to you and others. OR 3. You use them as an excuse. You CAN do this. YOU CAN do all the running parts and do them well, again unless you are actually injured now or your surgeries leave you physically unable to perform the duties.

You sound like you are saying that you are certain the knees are going to hold you back in the academy instead of just busting your gut now and NEVER giving up or using them as an excuse. I understand that they may hurt and that it is possible to actually injure them and be prevented from accomplishing the task at hand BUT you need to go in DETERMINED that unless there is something catastrophic that happens they will not hold you back.... so get prepared NOW to succeed not to fail.

Lest you think I don't know what it's like to have a knee injury, I've had 2 bilateral reconstructive knee surgeries for torn ACL's. I recently completed my physical agility test beating guys 10 years younger than me. I got bounced from the academy 4 years ago because a Dr. misdiagnosed that I had torn the ACL again, only to find out 8 month ago the guy was wrong (lesson learned: get a second opinion). The point I'm trying to make is that I can relate to your dilema's but I am determined that the only way I will not succeed is if 1 of three things happen: they don't let me in, I actually do get seriously injured or I quit and give up because I can't take the challenge. I'll never let it be the third....... and NEITHER SHOULD YOU.

Stay DRIVEN!
                  Last edited by Driven; 09-20-2008, 10:58 AM.
                  "Rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior but for evil behavior. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same." ~~ God

Comment

DRIVEN!!!

You are awesome!!! You are so right! Thank you so much for the confidence! I am sorry to hear about your knee! I Had torn my ACL 2 times!!! We have some things in common! Anywaz, I will start my training and I am determined, and I will not fail!!!!!

Good luck to you aswell!!!

Your the best!

Comment

You are very welcome, I am glad that you are encouraged and strengthened and determined to succeed! Best wishes!

Add me to your buddies and Keep us posted on your progress.

Comment

Damn, Driven. Your post was awesome!

I, too, am a little concerned with running at the academy (because of painful shins).

Thanks for the encouragment. I'm sure it not only helps out the OP, but all who have doubts about their ability to "tough it out"!

We are all strong. We will never give up. Now, it's time to prove ourselves!

Cheers.

Comment

Chesterrtm,

No problem.

I see you are headed into the Academy Oct. 20th..... keep us posted on your progress.... send an IM along every now and again so I can see how things are going for you.

Best wishes.

Comment

Yea, good luck!
                            The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                            that we are all that stands between
                            the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5620 users online. 349 members and 5271 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X