300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forced to Resign from Law Enforcement

This is not your typical background question as I was an officer who was just pressured into resigning due to a threat of discharge from employment.

I have talked to some other officers, such as my friend/roomate, father and a use of force expert (who was an instructor from the police academy) all who have told me that the use of force was justified given the circumstances.

I have heard that getting hired again is an up hill battle but is possible. Does anyone have advice on California agencies that I should take a look at, taking into consideration my recent past?

If anyone has ideas of some departments let me know. Btw, I know this might be too idealistic, given the circumstances, but I do not wish to work for an agency like Maywood PD.

This experience of being pressured into resigning was a bit traumatic for me.
    Last edited by TNelson; 08-01-2009, 08:33 AM. Reason: spelling

Yes its possible for you to get hired by another agency. However any agency you try for will go back to the agency that you resigned at. I would recommend that you ask the "powers to be" at your previous department if they would give you a positive recommendation at your next agency you will try to get hired at. I did not pass FTO at my previous agency and it was the worst feeling in the world. But if that agency did not give me a positive recomendation, I know I would never get hired at a law enforcement agency. This wont be easy but its possible. I know many persons who was forced to resign and never got hired. Good luck and PM me if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by juicesnn4e2
      if you didnt do it, and your instructor says you were justified, why wouldnt you just keep working and not resign?
      I didn't have the opportunity to ask other people about the situation until after resigning. I was called into the office and I left the office without a job.

Comment

Not trying to add salt to your wounds. I feel ya and the situation you're in. But, for future reference. If you got administration comming down on you, saying this and that. Saying your actions could lead to termination etc etc. If you know you did nothing wrong. Dont let them bully you into a corner. Which is what they do best and what they try and do first. They look to get quick closure, hoping you'll resign. But, again, if you know and can honestly say you did nothing wrong. I dont give a dam what administration is saying, claiming or threatening. Hey, talk is cheap. Bring it... What you have to do is dig in, prepare for a long fight and fight for your rights. Its unfortunate but this stuff happens all the time. Officers who did nothing wrong, having to fight for their rights and keep their job. However, when the smoke clears, often the officer wins.

Comment

Get an Attorney and SUE SUE SUE....

We had a simialr situation in a dpet i used to be in mid sized over 100 officers. several went out got into a jam, one was even charged criminally, one or 2 "resigned" the guy who went to trial got the union to help him, and was aquitted of all charges and last i heard was back on the job..... Do not let management push you around, especially if you feel strong that your actions were correct.

Comment

Originally posted by 2971511 View Post
            Get an Attorney and SUE SUE SUE....

We had a simialr situation in a dpet i used to be in mid sized over 100 officers. several went out got into a jam, one was even charged criminally, one or 2 "resigned" the guy who went to trial got the union to help him, and was aquitted of all charges and last i heard was back on the job..... Do not let management push you around, especially if you feel strong that your actions were correct.

Only problem is that he already resigned. That would be a battle I would not want to take on. As far as I'm concerned, a losing battle. If you're pressured to resign and you quit. You've basically acknowledged that you agree with their findings and that you have no grievances etc.

Comment

I know of one circumstance in Virginia where an officer was told to resign or be fired. That was held to be the same thing as being fired for the purposes of grievance and court proceedings. It may still be possible to do something.
              -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them"-Felix

Comment

I know of two officers that were in the same situation and are working elsewhere as an officer. In fact one was just made a sgt. at the new agency. It's going to depend on the overall situation and the need for officers in your area.

Comment

I just wanted to thank everyone for the good advice. I should also mention, there is absolutely nothing negative in my file (no IAs, citizen complaints, write-ups....but a few commendations). When I resigned, they assured me that there was no written report about the incident and they would tell future employers that I was an honest employee, who resigned for personal reasons.

I received a good PM about some agencies in my area. If any other ideas, please let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Code Seven
                    Were you on probation? Are you part of a police protective league or union?

By the way, who "forced" you to resign? What was his position and rank? And how large is that department?

As with any question about backgrounds, it is difficult to provide a helpful response unless we have the whole, truthful story.
                    On probation. Captain. Fluctuates between 70-80 officers.

Comment

Please understand that my reply has to be very general. The correct answer to your question lies within the circumstances of your case. Without knowing the pertinent details, it's really impossible to arrive at a judgement. If you were a probationary employee, you can be let go much more easily than an employee who has cleared probation and enjoys substantially more job protection. I'm going to suggest that you consult with an Attorney. Deal with one who is familiar with Employment Law, and/or Civil Service Procedures This consultation should give you a pretty good idea where you stand, or what your options are.

Comment

Nelson,

BS flag thrown down. Try being honest.
                        Free Deke O'Mally!!!

Comment

Originally posted by District B 13 View Post
                          Nelson,

+1. Im a great cop but i was told to leave or be fired. uh, no. try again.
                          Originally posted by Smurfette_76
                          Might not pass an AIDS test, but HEY...they look nice in uniform.

Comment

Nelson,

Do you ever say anything affirming or is a critical accusatory spirit your specialty?

I've read three threads today and you have posted negative disparaging remarks in all three.

If your day is going that bad, try not to talk with anyone.
                            "Rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior but for evil behavior. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same." ~~ God

Comment

Nelson,

You should open up a PORAC magazine one day and turn to the Discipline Overturned section. You will find that officers, sergeants and liuetenants across the state are fired, demoted and suspended for all sorts of bogus "reasons."

When someone is on probation a reason isn't even required.

Sometimes a sergeant makes a project out of an officer he doesn't like because of a personality conflict. Sometime the administration tells an officer to resign because they want a quick fix to a problem. Sometimes people, such as yourself, jump to conclusions without knowing all of the facts and assume that an officer is dishonest.

Yeah I got your number.

Anyways, I have had enough of your negativity, welcome to my ignore list and you can save your BS for someone else.
                              Last edited by TNelson; 08-02-2009, 04:49 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3726 users online. 225 members and 3501 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X