300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my first rejection letter

What sucks is it was my top choice...but I guess that's the way the ball bounces sometimes.

The thing that worries me though is I don't know why. I took my polygraph about a month and a half ago and heard nothing, good or bad. So I don't know if I failed it and that's why I was turned down. I had no idea who my BI was or if I even made it to the background stage...I hope I wasn't and that there was something I don't even know about that disqualified me...I have a completely clean record and I have not committed any undetected crimes. I'm just hoping it was a non-select and on any other day, the coin flip would have landed in my favor...

Thoughts?
    "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
    -Chris Rock

Originally posted by GangGreen712 View Post
    I have a completely clean record and I have not committed any undetected crimes.
    None at all?

Sorry to hear you didn't make it. Keep plugging away and you'll make it.

Comment

Originally posted by nhleo View Post
      None at all?
      Well, yeah, I had a beer once or twice when I was 19 or 20, and I did download some music on Kazaa back in high school (which have since been deleted for quite a few years), but I put that on the background packet.

Never heard from my BI, didn't know who he or she was...or if I had one...
      "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
      -Chris Rock

Comment

I remember my rejection letter, still have it as a matter of fact pinned up on my wall. Don't know why, don't really need to know why, just kind of gives me some motivation to get hired on one day when I'm ready. I'm fine sitting behind a radio for a little longer until I make it to the streets when I find myself and an agency ready. Just keep pushing yourself and make good solid sound decisions. That agency perhaps just wouldn't have been a good fit.

Comment

Not meaning for one moment to minimize your disappointment, but your situation is fairly typical. Most agencies will not disclose the reason for a DQ or non-select, although there is a difference. Most Civil Service agencies have rules which provide for the appeal of a DQ. There are very strict time limits, and many considerations in pursuing these appeals. Essentially, in these situations, the department would be required to justify it's decision to DQ you. OTH, a non-select is usually not appealable, and thus becomes an option of choice for many agencies. Again, no disclosure of the reason is usually given. OK, all of that said. If you know your Background is good to go, you know you're qualified for a given agency, or other agencies, you hang in there. Back up, regroup, and keep applying. Good luck in your efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
            Not meaning for one moment to minimize your disappointment, but your situation is fairly typical. Most agencies will not disclose the reason for a DQ or non-select, although there is a difference. Most Civil Service agencies have rules which provide for the appeal of a DQ. There are very strict time limits, and many considerations in pursuing these appeals. Essentially, in these situations, the department would be required to justify it's decision to DQ you. OTH, a non-select is usually not appealable, and thus becomes an option of choice for many agencies. Again, no disclosure of the reason is usually given. OK, all of that said. If you know your Background is good to go, you know you're qualified for a given agency, or other agencies, you hang in there. Back up, regroup, and keep applying. Good luck in your efforts.
            I was in the above postion several times, and I kept plugging away. I was recently hired by a law enforcement agency and I will be starting the academy on Tuesday. Dont give up!!!

Comment

Never give up. Agencies DQ people for different reasons. If I were you I would leave well enough alone. You did not get a DQ letter or a letter saying that you failed any part of the process. In all likelihood you will have to disclose to another potential agency all agencies you have applied for. Just be honest and say that you never heard anything from agency Z after completing the steps that you did. Some places have so many applicants they can be picky. Keep plugging away and you will get there. Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by juicesnn4e2
                I got a DQ letter from atlanta. and they were idiots. they dq'ed me for something i didnt do, my BI made up a story (and he said, i admitted to thing i never did) so i had to appeal. and they checked the records and i won, and got hired. but yet the guy never got in trouble for being a stone cold liar. its ok, i see him now and than, not sure if he remembers me, but i remember him...
                Stuff like that happens. It shouldn't, but it does. Glad things worked out for you.

Comment

Do to this rejection what one should do to a date rejection, laugh at it and move on. There are many agencies out there and one of them is the right pick for you. Good luck in your future endeavours, but from experience, don't let this get you down. Just get right back in the processes asap.

Comment

Keep up the work, I wasn't rejected when I applied, but I have a bunch of buddies that were. All were great candidates. A lot of times it is out of your hands, nothing you did wrong. The things you talk about are not DQ items. There might be something that hit on your poly that you didn't mean to. Heck when I took my poly, they said I hit on what state I was born in hahahaha!! Keep up the work and you will prevail!

Comment

I know exactly what you mean juicesnn4e2, heck every time I called my BI did not know who I was or where I stood on the background process....Very worthless and still very surprise this person still works there....LOL

Comment

My next BI for my 2nd choice dept starts, I was told, at the end of September. They have a lot more openings, so I'm still optimistic. I'm going to apply at other depts as well as they post openings. If I'm still not hired, I'm going to reapply to this one in six months.
                        -Chris Rock

Comment

I remember my first rejection letter, and my second, and my third. . .

Comment

I have been there a number of times as well. And, yes, just as others here, I did extremely well through the testing process. Now I know that what it comes down to is do YOU match what that particular angency wants in its officers? Trust me, I know it sounds silly, but it seems that most agencies have a "certain type" when it comes to the cops they want to hire and put on the streets. If its an agency in a low-crime area with mostly upper middle income, or higher, residents, well they are most likely looking for very nice, customer-service types--more security guard than cop. Now if you are applying to an agency in an area that is very "Code 3" with violent crimes happening on an almost daily basis, then they are most likely going to want "Street Warriors". You know, the younger, aggressive, NO FEAR types who don't mind running over fences after crack-fueled, gunshooting, crazies. Now you may be in an area that has a little of both, so I would say they probably are looking for a person in good shape, has a lot of common sense, and maybe even a bit older than 25--to get in some life experience.
                            All in all, get to know the agency as best you can and decide if it really is where you want to work.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5632 users online. 322 members and 5310 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X