Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing residency for each exam?

Ok, hear me out.

There are a few different county exams that are coming up that residents of the city/county get preference when getting on the social service list.

So if I were to change my residency a couple times around would this look bad on applications? Also if I apply to different departments would this look bad?

I really want to become an officer and I know it's very difficult.. it's also very competitive.

I feel as if I dont have a chance if I'm not a current resident on that list.

(My current residence is a home I just bought, our local PD is very small and tough to get into. They only offer a test once every couple years, and I dont think this year the test is available).
    Trying to get on in NY...
    PM me if you hear of any upstate NY departments that are giving a civil service test.

I'm not an LEO, so this is not an answer. Just for clarification: Are you asking if it's OK to start your career with a lie???
    In backgrounds ...

Comment

Well, I guess my question is.. do I even have a shot at becoming an officer in a town which I dont currently reside?
      Trying to get on in NY...
      PM me if you hear of any upstate NY departments that are giving a civil service test.

Comment

Originally posted by SupraRy View Post
        Ok, hear me out.

There are a few different county exams that are coming up that residents of the city/county get preference when getting on the social service list.

So if I were to change my residency a couple times around would this look bad on applications? Also if I apply to different departments would this look bad?

I really want to become an officer and I know it's very difficult.. it's also very competitive.

I feel as if I dont have a chance if I'm not a current resident on that list.

(My current residence is a home I just bought, our local PD is very small and tough to get into. They only offer a test once every couple years, and I dont think this year the test is available).
        Well, reading your post, I have a question for you. Wouldn't all that moving around be a little expensive? I really don't see that as a viable option. Preferences given or not, the secret is to test well. Your situation, if I understand it correctly, would be similar to an agency which allows Veteran's Preferences on it's exams. Non-veterans routinely test for positions within an agency, and many are selected, even without a preference. OTH, if residence in a given community is a requirement in order to test, or is required once employed, then you have an entirely different situation. However, simply moving around in order to obtain what in reality, is a small advantage doesn't seem to be in your best interests. Just my.02

Comment

I don't know about your neck of the wood, but where I am you have to physically move in order to change your residency. Just changing your address on your license is called <b>lying</b> and it's even criminal here.

And with that being the case: No, committing a crime by lying likely wouldn't help your chances.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4455 users online. 288 members and 4167 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X