300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Worried About My Work History

Some of my other threads delve a little deeper into my past, but this one is mostly concerned with the work history aspect of my application.

I've had steady work experience since I was 17, I'm 23 now. I've only had three different jobs, and the shortest time was 19 months at my last job, which I left on good terms. Those jobs were, in order from first job held to last job

-Manager at Blockbuster Video
    -Security Guard for a private school and later a city facility
    -Loomis (armored car company)

I've been going to school full time during this, so my work hours vary from 20-30 hours a week.

Recently I got a chance to do some international travelling in Europe and South America, so I took a break from school and work in order to do this. I'll be going back to college in January of 2009 to wrap up my degree.

While I was told by Loomis that I could come back to work for them anytime, I'm not really sure I want to. While I know it looks good on an application, I'd almost rather get a less involving job so I could focus on school, and take more classes instead of getting more hours at work. So I'm considering a part time job upon my return to school, maybe either in retail, or something else where I can focus more on school and less on work.

My concerns are as follows. Will the 5 month break I'm taking now hurt me? Secondly, does going from several security related jobs to a retail positon (or something similar) hurt me?

I would think any department would not mind so much, as long as I was pursuing a degree at the same time.

What are you thought's and opinions? I apologize for the long read!

Originally posted by NCSam160 View Post
    Some of my other threads delve a little deeper into my past, but this one is mostly concerned with the work history aspect of my application.

I've had steady work experience since I was 17, I'm 23 now. I've only had three different jobs, and the shortest time was 19 months at my last job, which I left on good terms. Those jobs were, in order from first job held to last job

-Manager at Blockbuster Video
    -Security Guard for a private school and later a city facility
    -Loomis (armored car company)

I've been going to school full time during this, so my work hours vary from 20-30 hours a week.

Recently I got a chance to do some international travelling in Europe and South America, so I took a break from school and work in order to do this. I'll be going back to college in January of 2009 to wrap up my degree.

While I was told by Loomis that I could come back to work for them anytime, I'm not really sure I want to. While I know it looks good on an application, I'd almost rather get a less involving job so I could focus on school, and take more classes instead of getting more hours at work. So I'm considering a part time job upon my return to school, maybe either in retail, or something else where I can focus more on school and less on work.

My concerns are as follows. Will the 5 month break I'm taking now hurt me? Secondly, does going from several security related jobs to a retail positon (or something similar) hurt me?

I would think any department would not mind so much, as long as I was pursuing a degree at the same time.

What are you thought's and opinions? I apologize for the long read!
    From a strictly personal perspective, I don't see a problem with your situation. They only real caution I would suggest is that you keep fully current with your debts/obligations. The fact that Loomis would want you to return to work simply means they valued your past job performance. Pursuing a degree isn't the same thing as simply loafing either. Good luck in your efforts.

Comment

Thanks for the input.

Before I left Loomis I saved up enough money in order to pay off my monthly bills, and I plan on being a little conservative as far as personal expenses go, so I plan on being able to keep current with debts.

My only real concerns was the break I was taking from work and school to travel, and whether my next job's position would matter in context with my previous jobs.

Comment

All Good From Here

Originally posted by NCSam160 View Post
        Thanks for the input.

Before I left Loomis I saved up enough money in order to pay off my monthly bills, and I plan on being a little conservative as far as personal expenses go, so I plan on being able to keep current with debts.

My only real concerns was the break I was taking from work and school to travel, and whether my next job's position would matter in context with my previous jobs.
        I wish my job history was as clean as yours!! Honestly, you should have nothing to worry about, but I do say that with the caveat that it all is agency dependent. What I mean is that it hinges on how "touchy" of an agency you are applying to. Do they want officers with absolutely pristine histories, or do they want actual people who have lived regular lives and therefore made a few mistakes?
        I had a friend in the academy who stole money from his employer at the age of 17. He was fired and convicted of a Petty Theft charge, but because this had happened 7 years earlier and he had owned up to it during the BI, they did not make a big deal about it. He did get hired.
        Now, myself, I quit a job because of corporate improprieties committed by my General Manager; however, because when I left I had gotten into a heated verbal argument with the GM, I was uneasy about how the agency would read this....so I lied a little about it. Bad move! They did their due diligence and one of my friends actually told them about it...but at least he did tell them the whole story. So when I was re-interviewed they asked why I had lied over something that really wasn't all that bad. They said that if I had not tried to cover up the argument they would have had no problem, but I had demonstrated a "propensity for not telling the truth". Needless to say, I did not get hired with them.

Comment

I dont see a problem with you taking a break, and changing job descriptions to help you during school. I did the same thing. I took a 5 month lay off break..some call it a layoff..I call it vacation. During those 5 months I went back to summer school for 1 month and traveled during the other. I hadnt seen family members over seas in over 15 years. never took a vacation over 5 years. so I needed the break.I had enough money saved up for bills and travel. I explained that to my BI and I was just honest about it.
          Just make sure youre honest they will check on transcripts, talk to teachers, and neighbors and check your passport...etc.

Comment

I appreciate the answers!

I've definitely got the documentation (and pictures and various stupid T-shirts) to prove it.

Comment

no post 3----
              Last edited by BLETfun; 09-13-2008, 05:15 AM. Reason: wrong forum

Comment

Any agency that would DQ you based only on this five month absence to travel and see the world isnt worth your time. You will learn more traveling than you ever would in a class room or in an armored car. I missed an entire year of school becuase I ran out of money, lost another semseter's worth of credits due to a transfer and ended up taking seven years to get a bachelor's degree. Worked several jobs ranging from dishwasher to EMT, and even left one job after being there for two days by simply not showing up again (it was a telephone survey job, it SUCKED). If I got hired after all of that (and all of the other stupid **** I have done) you will have no problem.

Comment

If a person is going to school full time, the employment while going to school is not an issue. The 5 month break provided you complete your degree is not an issue. Provided the remainder of your application does not have any issues, I would schedule you for applicant processing.

Comment

Thanks once again for the responses guys. I'm very glad to hear this.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3425 users online. 191 members and 3234 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X