Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chief's Interview Before Medical/Psyche?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chief's Interview Before Medical/Psyche?

Hey all,

I got called a couple hours ago by one of the departments I applied to, and told to come in tomorrow at 3pm for an interview with the chief. I'm excited and honored to be meeting with the chief, but I just had my BI started just under two weeks ago and I haven't done medical/psyche or lie detector yet.

My question is, what do you all make of this? I've always thought the Chief's Interview was the very last step of the process. It seems odd to me to be so soon. Any input? What do you think I should expect?

Thanks very much for your help!
    You, you, and you: Panic. The rest of you, come with me.

Don't know how they do it in your state, but out here most agencies operate under what's called the rule of three. They can select anyone from the top three positions (scores) on the list to fill a position. If you have three vacancies, you can select from the top six positions, five vacancies and you can select anyone from the top eight positions etc. The Chief's interview is a tool to determine who, within the rule of three, they will select to fill however many vacancies they have.

The medical and psych come last. Under ADA they can only be given in connection with a bona fide offer of employment. So if you had them first and the Chief decided to hire someone else instead of you after the interview, there would be an EEO violation. As for the poly, no point in giving it until they decide if you make the Chief's cut.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

The medical and psych come last. Under ADA they can only be given in connection with a bona fide offer of employment. So if you had them first and the Chief decided to hire someone else instead of you after the interview, there would be an EEO violation.
      I'm pretty sure that's just procedural preference rather than an ADA requirement. I've heard of a lot of agencies in CA doing it that way, but at my dept., for example, CVSA and psych evals are both done prior to the employment offer. Here only the medical screen and drug test were done after.

Comment

Originally posted by campbell View Post
        I'm pretty sure that's just procedural preference rather than an ADA requirement.
        FWIW, the psych is considered part of the medical. If you check
        http://www.infolinkscreening.com/Inf...ssues/eeoc.pdf I believe you will find that under the ADA, a medical can only be given in connection with a bona fide offer of employment. The reasoning behind that law can be found in the referenced webpage.

Comment

Depends on Agency

Originally posted by mfh83 View Post
          Hey all,

I got called a couple hours ago by one of the departments I applied to, and told to come in tomorrow at 3pm for an interview with the chief. I'm excited and honored to be meeting with the chief, but I just had my BI started just under two weeks ago and I haven't done medical/psyche or lie detector yet.

My question is, what do you all make of this? I've always thought the Chief's Interview was the very last step of the process. It seems odd to me to be so soon. Any input? What do you think I should expect?

Thanks very much for your help!
          It really does depend on the particular agency. I had one like that about 1.5 years ago, while in the academy. It was actually my very first application, and so I was nervous. I guess I did very well and was sent right into the BI detective's office to get started. What I learned from the Det was that the reason the Chief interviewed me before doing any other steps was to decide if I was someone he felt would be worth investing the time and moolah to investigate. Seems pretty reasonable to me, and to be honest, it lets you know where you stand somewhat from the start with that agency.
          Best of luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
            FWIW, the psych is considered part of the medical. If you check
            http://www.infolinkscreening.com/Inf...ssues/eeoc.pdf I believe you will find that under the ADA, a medical can only be given in connection with a bona fide offer of employment. The reasoning behind that law can be found in the referenced webpage.
            I have a medical coming up this Tuesday for a department that Ive passed everything else with. I have yet to be given any type of offer of employment. Does that mean that I have been given an offer of employment and I just dont know about it?

Comment

Originally posted by JpKid View Post
              I have a medical coming up this Tuesday for a department that Ive passed everything else with. I have yet to be given any type of offer of employment. Does that mean that I have been given an offer of employment and I just dont know about it?
              I can only refer you to what's in the ADA/EEO manual. If you pass the medical and are not offered employment, they would appear to be in violation.

Best of luck.

Comment

Strange??

That is very strange indeed. Usually, if you've gone through all phases of the hiring process including or up to the med exam than you should have either gone to a Captain's/Chief's Interview and/or received at least a "conditional offer".
                Don't know why they would have you go through everything and not try to make some kind of offer. Maybe you aren't in the pipeline with any other agency and they feel they have a monopoly on your availability? Dunno, but you can always ask about your status.

Comment

Strange??

That is very strange indeed. Usually, if you've gone through all phases of the hiring process including or up to the med exam than you should have either gone to a Captain's/Chief's Interview and/or received at least a "conditional offer".
                  Don't know why they would have you go through everything and not try to make some kind of offer. To lock you into them.
                  Maybe you aren't in the pipeline with any other agency and they feel they have a monopoly on your availability? Dunno, but you can always ask about your status.

Comment

Strange??

Don't know why they would have you go through everything and not try to make some kind of offer. To lock you into them.
                    Maybe you aren't in the pipeline with any other agency and they feel they have a monopoly on your availability? Dunno, but you can always ask about your status.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3830 users online. 183 members and 3647 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X