300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current Employment and applications..

So I currently work as a Network Engineer and cant wait to get out of this field of work. I have been studying for my police test (for about a month now) which is scheduled county wide in December.

I assume after I take the test and hopefully do well, that I will have a choice of a couple agencies which I want to apply. Hoping all goes positive, I will have oral boards, interviews, etc.

My question I guess is how do you do all these things and still maintain a full time 9-5 job? I dont know how much time off I can take and sometimes I understand the interviews are at a moments notice. I was debating on telling my job in December that I was interested in becoming an officer, and I would finish out my time here but I dont want them to fire me, and give me a possible bad reference to the police if they contact them. I have been at my current employer about a year and a half.

Was anyone else faced with this decision? I still have a mortgage to pay.

Thanks guys.. and stay safe.
    Trying to get on in NY...
    PM me if you hear of any upstate NY departments that are giving a civil service test.

Originally posted by SupraRy View Post
    My question I guess is how do you do all these things and still maintain a full time 9-5 job? I dont know how much time off I can take and sometimes I understand the interviews are at a moments notice. I was debating on telling my job in December that I was interested in becoming an officer, and I would finish out my time here but I dont want them to fire me, and give me a possible bad reference to the police if they contact them. I have been at my current employer about a year and a half.

Was anyone else faced with this decision? I still have a mortgage to pay.

Thanks guys.. and stay safe.
    Yes I faced the exact same situation. I told my supervisor beforehand my intentions. The PD's will have to contact them anyway for the background investigations. To make things easier, I usually only took a half day off at a time to test or interview. Everyone at work keeps asking me when I'm going to get hired, they all seem supportive and respect my decision. I may just be lucky, but my job and co-workers are just great, several of them volunteered to be references.
    What is Perseverance?
    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

When I first started testing, I was seemingly able to schedule every thing around my work hours. After a while, I just decided to come clean and tell my boss. He ended up being supportive of my decision and let me "book off" when ever I needed to.

Now that I am about to become an officer, my boss begged me not to give him a ticket because I will working in the town he lives in.

Good luck!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6812 users online. 365 members and 6447 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X