Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Made It!!!

Hello all ,
    First and foremost, I want to thank each and every one of you that have provided invaluable information over the past year.

That being said....after getting turned down for one agency, falling into paperwork limbo with another; after a polygraph, a pysch test, a physical test, a medical exam in which I felt all but raped, IQ test, my neighbors being visited without me (or them) expecting it, background investigations, phone calls, emails, etc, etc etc.......after ALL of that, I received a call this past week asking me to come in for a quick "interview."
    Now, I have no idea what to expect going into this thing and I pull my best suit out of the closet and head to the station. I get ushered into the same waiting room that I went in originally when this whole process started and I'm thinking to myself, "Great, ANOTHER oral board interview." Well, my BI finally comes out to get me and informs me that I will just be, "going into a real informal interview and not to sweat it." Easy for him to say! I walk into a room and there across the table is Chief of Police, 1 Captain, 2 Sergeants and 2 Lieutenants. My BI then looked at me, told me to have a seat and then said some beautiful words, "I just wanted you to get a chance to meet YOUR new command staff."
    I was ecstatic, but still had to get through the "interview." Well, that wasn't too hard as the "interview" turned into me and my new command staff sitting around for about an hour shooting the bull. I was informed that they are just waiting for the hospital to mail over my medical info to go into my file and as soon as that gets there, then the HR will contact me with their formal job offer. I was then told that once I get through talking with HR, I would be able to start immediately if I so wish. Academy is not for another 2 months, but they offered to have me "gopher" around the station until then on the police payroll. Thank God and thanks to all of you for your help, advice and encouragement. Anyone reading this that's still in the process....keep your head up and always remind yourself of how bad you want it. Thanks for reading my ridiculously long post.
    The place where you made your stand never mattered. Only that you were there... and still on your feet.

Congrats buddy! Have fun, and stay safe! Good job!

Comment

Thanks so much EMM! I can't wait to get to the Academy!
      The place where you made your stand never mattered. Only that you were there... and still on your feet.

Comment

I am curious what "gopher" around the place means. I always wondered if you would be allowed to do anything before you went to the academy. If they gave you some inhouse training maybe? Maybe do a ridealong type thing?

Comment

gopher = go for this, go for that. = go get me coffee!

congrats! i'm jealous redding, as I am still relatively early in my process with a local department and way too impatient!

Comment

Congrats, redding!

Get ready to go through some of the worst "hazing" you've ever experienced (that's not even from us here! That's once you start training).
            1*

Comment

2 months may seem a bit tedious....but nothing is better than the wait than the wait you have to do now before the academy. The waiting for your next phase in employment with police is always and seems the longest....at least now, you're waiting for your training and that you've gone through all the stressful areas before your employment for the police officer.

Congratulations. btw: When you gopher around, try not to get yourself into too much trouble.

Comment

That's cool man . I have had a long journey as well. I have been a security officer for about 2 years at my current dept. I sent myself through the police academy and just recently got hired as a police officer I start next week.

Good luck in the academy and go hard on studying .
                My life is in GOD’s hands, and he hasn’t finished with me yet.

Comment

Thanks for the congrats from everyone. From what the Chief was telling me, the "gopher" thing is actually a good opportunity. He specifically stated that since I'll be around the station, I would have a good opportunity to get to know the building, personnel, other officers and a lot of the procedures. He said that way, when I do get back from the Academy I won't be the "new guy" that nobody knows. I'm excited regardless. I'll get coffee all day, every day if I have to. I'm just glad to have the opportunity. I will definitely ask to do some ride-alongs. The first day that I'm there, I'm gonna go directly to the Chief and ask when I get my gun and ask him to define "lethal force" for me one more time. <----Kidding folks. It's all so surreal to think that this time next year, I will be wearing the badge!

Comment

Congrats! Inspiring thread. Makes me want to get serious about starting the whole process.

Comment

Congrats man..........
                      sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

Well, lets just go ahead and make it official. I was given an official offer of employment today! HR called and offered the job to me. I start in 2 weeks and I'm scared/excited out of my mind.

*Note to self* "This is REALLY happening, get off of your butt and start working out!! Academy starts in 1 month!!"

There, I just needed to virtually pinch myself.
                        Thanks again for all of the advice given so far. Believe me, there will be more questions from this rook. Thanks again everyone!

Comment

Well, I'm not going to pinch you, but I will say again that I'm glad for you! I have my test in a few weeks, and I'm excited about that. I can only imagine how excited I'd feel if I were in your shoes!

Good job though!!

Comment

Congrats! Thats so exciting. Very inspiring, so I'm thinking it'll be well worth the wait.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4418 users online. 243 members and 4175 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X