300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Ride Alongs for Applicants ONLY?

So, I'm in the application process for New Castle County Police Dept in Delaware. I called hoping to schedule a ride along, explained I was in the process, etc. The gentleman on the other end says, "Oh, your already in the process? Capt. doesn't allow applicants to do ride alongs." Then takes my name and number and says I must make my request in writing (which I'm thinking why would I write the letter if I'm going to get turned down?)

I know this department allows ride alongs for civilians. I'm not attempting to "brown nose", I honestly want a better look at this department.

Should I still write the letter requesting the ride along?

Thanks,

Moosie.
    Moosie

New Castle County PD (Delaware) application process
    Written Test March 30, 2011 (passed)
    Physical Fitness Test May 14, 2011 (passed)
    Oral Board June 7, 2011 (passed)
    Polygraph July 25, 2011 (passed)

Why not?????
    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
    that we are all that stands between
    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Probably won't hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by jchughes05 View Post
        Why not?????
        Not sure what their reasoning is. My Uncle is retired from this department and said he wasn't aware of this policy, so he called and was told the same thing. I am wondering if they are trying to eliminate the "I went on a ride along to prepare myself for this interview" BS answer.

I've ridden with our state police and thoroughly enjoyed seeing things up close and personal. Thankfully, the trooper I rode with was honest and didnt try to gloss over things that happen in the department or on the road. But, it's been a long time since I had been (in the front seat) of a cruiser (LOL Just kidding) and the addition of laptops, no more calling for COM to run plates, etc... it was all different. (In a positive way).

I guess I'll still send my letter in, but am not expecting anything back. I just thought this is strange.

Thanks for the responses.

Stay Safe,

Rebecca
        Moosie

Comment

out here i have a buddy trying to get on some more ridealongs but cant because hes NOT in the process as of yet. I get to go due to know cops but hes on his own so not having as much luck.
          Good... Bad... Im the guy with the gun

Comment

Originally posted by Moosie View Post
            Not sure what their reasoning is. My Uncle is retired from this department and said he wasn't aware of this policy, so he called and was told the same thing. I am wondering if they are trying to eliminate the "I went on a ride along to prepare myself for this interview" BS answer.

I've ridden with our state police and thoroughly enjoyed seeing things up close and personal. Thankfully, the trooper I rode with was honest and didnt try to gloss over things that happen in the department or on the road. But, it's been a long time since I had been (in the front seat) of a cruiser (LOL Just kidding) and the addition of laptops, no more calling for COM to run plates, etc... it was all different. (In a positive way).

I guess I'll still send my letter in, but am not expecting anything back. I just thought this is strange.

Thanks for the responses.

Stay Safe,

Rebecca
            Rebecca, my feeling is the department is not trying to eliminate you. The "No Ride Along" is simply a matter of agency policy. Many agencies either prohibit, or stricktly limit ride alongs. Don't read too much significance into not being allowed to ride along. Test well in all phases of the hiring process. That's where the decision to hire you will be made. Good luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
              Rebecca, my feeling is the department is not trying to eliminate you. The "No Ride Along" is simply a matter of agency policy. Many agencies either prohibit, or stricktly limit ride alongs. Don't read too much significance into not being allowed to ride along. Test well in all phases of the hiring process. That's where the decision to hire you will be made. Good luck!!
              Thanks, PhilipCal!

Moosie.
              Moosie

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6713 users online. 366 members and 6347 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X