Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about applying to multiple departments.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about applying to multiple departments.

I have applied to 11 different police department in my area. Background packet's turned in, and I am basically in the "waiting for oral boards" phase. Now, not all 11 departments are created equal in my mind. I, like most, have my first pick, and my last pick for departments I want to work for. But honestly, I am 100% excited and would be 100% dedicated to working for even my last choice.

Well, the first department to really be pushing me through the steps, is my last pick. Granted I am completely gracious for making it this far in this department, naturally I am faced with a daunting question. I already know my own answer, but I was just curious as to what you other LEOs thought.

Do I take the very first offer given to me by my last pick department, knowing darn well it could possibly be my ONLY offer? Or do I turn this down and HOPE that I MIGHT eventually get an offer from a department higher on my list?

My personal feeling is that I should gobble up any opportunity I get regardless of where that department falls in my picks list, and go with it. If I decide later down the road that I am not happy with the department (one or two years), I can look for a lateral tranfer to a different city/department. The LAST thing I want would be to turn down my last pick, and then have no luck with any of the other departments... I will of shot myself square in the foot.

Agree? Disagree?

I appreciate the discussion.
    Last edited by holycow; 08-13-2008, 12:28 AM.

I think you can verbally accept anything as long as you don't sign a contract. So if you want to back out of a Dept. after a verbal agreement to accept, I think you are free to just walk away.

Correct me if I'm wrong though!!
    Cedar Rapids, IA Police Dept

Comment

Based off what my friends in law enforcement have told me, take whatever offer comes first. If you end up not liking it, you can always transfer somewhere else later on down the road.

You are correct when you assume you last choice department may be your only ticket to getting the job.

Comment

Take the job you are offered. You may end up liking the dept. very much. You can always apply at another dept. after you get a few years exp. under your belt. If you don't want to work there drop out of the process.

Comment

Just Wondering???

Originally posted by holycow View Post
          I have applied to 11 different police department in my area. Background packet's turned in, and I am basically in the "waiting for oral boards" phase. Now, not all 11 departments are created equal in my mind. I, like most, have my first pick, and my last pick for departments I want to work for. But honestly, I am 100% excited and would be 100% dedicated to working for even my last choice.

Well, the first department to really be pushing me through the steps, is my last pick. Granted I am completely gracious for making it this far in this department, naturally I am faced with a daunting question. I already know my own answer, but I was just curious as to what you other LEOs thought.

Do I take the very first offer given to me by my last pick department, knowing darn well it could possibly be my ONLY offer? Or do I turn this down and HOPE that I MIGHT eventually get an offer from a department higher on my list?

My personal feeling is that I should gobble up any opportunity I get regardless of where that department falls in my picks list, and go with it. If I decide later down the road that I am not happy with the department (one or two years), I can look for a lateral tranfer to a different city/department. The LAST thing I want would be to turn down my last pick, and then have no luck with any of the other departments... I will of shot myself square in the foot.

Agree? Disagree?

I appreciate the discussion.
          I guess I sometimes see things slightly differently and was wondering WHY this agency is your last pick?
          Is it too small?
          You don't see yourself making rank there?
          The pay is too low?
          It isn't in a "cool" area and/or you think it will be boring?
          I guess other than these considerations, I agree with everyone else. Take the FIRST job that you are GUARANTEED. Don't ever know if your other apps will make it any further and its always easier to use LE experience in doing a Lateral Transfer down the road.
          Besides, you never know, you may end up being one of the best officers that department ever has and make a career of it. It could happen!

Comment

Go with the first offered. ANY experience is good experience when it comes to going to your career department. One of the best Sgts I know applied to every single department in the state that was accepting applications when he was looking for a job, took the first offer, worked there a year or two, then went to where he really wanted to work.

Comment

When I was applying to agencies in Florida, I staggered my applications by weeks at a time. That gave me more time to make decisions. Aside from that, if you're qualified enough and an agency has their act together, they will come after you to get you an offer before another agency does. More and more departments now are running like businesses, meaning they actively head hunt.
              Last edited by Ursao; 09-08-2008, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Take this job.
                You gain experience. You gain respect. Then 1 of two things will happen, this may become YOUR dept. and you never want to leave. In 20-30 years you may be a chief.
                Or You get the experience and move on. Only time will tell. What happens if you get rejected by your first three depts. You're out of work. Then you have to come crawling back to this dept..... Not a good position to be in.
                Remember, this Dept is fast tracking you, they must see something in you they like. Run with it.

Comment

Originally posted by dboenish View Post
                  I think you can verbally accept anything as long as you don't sign a contract. So if you want to back out of a Dept. after a verbal agreement to accept, I think you are free to just walk away.

Correct me if I'm wrong though!!
                  No offense, but I think this is a very bad idea. Your word is your word whether verbal or in writing. Additionally, you are joining a career the quality of character, integrity and honesty are cornerstones. If you can't keep your own word to start, that's not starting very well. Not to mention the $, time and energy that has cost the department you back out of.

TAKE THE OFFER. It may be your only shot. If you get the chance in a few years and you still want you can always look for a lateral, as you stated. In a few years (I think the stat is like 3-4 years) the first department will have been able to get out of you what they invested.

Best wishes
                  "Rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior but for evil behavior. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same." ~~ God

Comment

My last pick was also the first PD to offer me a job. Now reflecting on that bit of info, the fact that they offered me a job has turned them from being my last pick, to be my top pick. I was rejected by the top two agencies on my list. Now I am totally excited about this agency, and happy because they saw in me what the others missed. For that I am grateful.
                    What is Perseverance?
                    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4298 users online. 226 members and 4072 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X