300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about lightbars

Hello I got a question to ask and I am not for sure were to ask this in the forum , so I will start here and if there is a moderator that see's this question is better off somewere else please move.

My question is for any member of a Law Enforcement official ,can you tell me if it is against the law to put a lightbar on my car/truck any were in the USA with out being a public offical or any way related to public service official ?

The reason I am asking this question is because I am on another forum and someone is arguing the fact you can , and I want to know for sure cause in my state you can not run a light bar unless you are a Firefighter or a police officer or some type of public service worker that deals in runing lights on POV's unless you have proper clearence now please correct me if I am wrong

You have the floor lol!!!
    If you have seen this person please PM me http://www.nampn.org/cases/fallon_hooks_jessica.html

Check out my online scanner feed
    http://kershaw.sc.scanamerica.us/index.php

Why do you want a lightbar on your car?
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

You can have a light bar in most states - BUT (big but) the colors may be restricted. That is, you can have one in colors like white, yellow, green or mauve, but not red or blue.
      Check your states vehicle code.

But why would you want one???
      "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
      John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer View Post
        Why do you want a lightbar on your car?
        All I am not wanting one on my car a fella on another forum is telling me in texas they let anyone put them on there cars and they dont have to be ok'ed by a public service offical and I was just wanting to ask before I start a arguement that I can't back up
        If you have seen this person please PM me http://www.nampn.org/cases/fallon_hooks_jessica.html

Comment

If you have Red and Blues on or in your ride you may very well see the back of a patrol car in my State unless you are LE or Fire. It is one of my pet peeves.
          The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by lugoffman View Post
            All I am not wanting one on my car a fella on another forum is telling me in texas they let anyone put them on there cars and they dont have to be ok'ed by a public service offical and I was just wanting to ask before I start a arguement that I can't back up
            It really depends on what colors he wants on the light bar.

547.305. RESTRICTIONS ON USE OF LIGHTS. (a) A motor
            vehicle lamp or illuminating device, other than a headlamp,
            spotlamp, auxiliary lamp, turn signal lamp, or emergency vehicle or
            school bus warning lamp, that projects a beam with an intensity
            brighter than 300 candlepower shall be directed so that no part of
            the high-intensity portion of the beam strikes the roadway at a
            distance of more than 75 feet from the vehicle.
            (b) Except as expressly authorized by law, a person may not
            operate or move equipment or a vehicle, other than a police vehicle,
            with a lamp or device that displays a red light visible from
            directly in front of the center of the equipment or vehicle.
            (c) A person may not operate a motor vehicle equipped with a
            red, white, or blue beacon, flashing, or alternating light unless
            the equipment is:
            (1) used as specifically authorized by this chapter;
            or
            (2) a running lamp, headlamp, taillamp, backup lamp,
            or turn signal lamp that is used as authorized by law.
            (d) A vehicle may be equipped with alternately flashing
            lighting equipment described by Section 547.701 or 547.702 only if
            the vehicle is:
            (1) a school bus;
            (2) an authorized emergency vehicle;
            (3) a church bus that has the words "church bus"
            printed on the front and rear of the bus so as to be clearly
            discernable to other vehicle operators;
            (4) a tow truck while under the direction of a law
            enforcement officer at the scene of an accident or while hooking up
            to a disabled vehicle on a roadway; or
            (5) a tow truck with a mounted light bar which has turn
            signals and stop lamps in addition to those required by Sections
            547.322, 547.323, and 547.324, Transportation Code.
            (e) A person may not operate highway maintenance or service
            equipment, including snow-removal equipment, that is not equipped
            with lamps or that does not display lighted lamps as required by the
            standards and specifications adopted by the Texas Department of
            Transportation.
            (f) In this section "tow truck" means a motor vehicle or
            mechanical device that is adapted or used to tow, winch, or move a
            disabled vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by usmcrob View Post
              It really depends on what colors he wants on the light bar.
              I love the quote on the bottom. I forgot about that till just now. And god bless Col. Chesty Puller. Semper Fi!
              You have the right to remain silent, but apparently you lack the skill to exercise that right.

Comment

I know in AZ and CA you can have one just better not be red and blue. Can be amber green and white. And I believe there was a case a long time ago in CA where a guy stopped at a vehicle accident was not a LEO or hose dragger aka firefighter and put a blue tear drop light on his roof to warn people. The cop that arrived arrested him. He went to court and won because he was not moving and was using it to warn people of the accident. I am not saying doing that.
                Why do people think they have the right not to listen when they are told to roll a window down or unlock a door?

Comment

Flashing lights for CA are as follows:

Permitted Flashing Lights

25251. (a) Flashing lights are permitted on vehicles as follows:

(1) To indicate an intention to turn or move to the right or left upon a roadway, turn signal lamps and turn signal exterior pilot indicator lamps and side lamps permitted under Section 25106 may be flashed on the side of a vehicle toward which the turn or movement is to be made.

(2) When disabled or parked off the roadway but within 10 feet of the roadway, or when approaching, stopped at, or departing from, a railroad grade crossing, turn signal lamps may be flashed as warning lights if the front turn signal lamps at each side are being flashed simultaneously and the rear turn signal lamps at each side are being flashed simultaneously.

(3) To warn other motorists of accidents or hazards on a roadway, turn signal lamps may be flashed as warning lights while the vehicle is approaching, overtaking, or passing the accident or hazard on the roadway if the front turn signal lamps at each side are being flashed simultaneously and the rear turn signal lamps at each side are being flashed simultaneously.

(4) For use on authorized emergency vehicles.

(5) To warn other motorists of a funeral procession, turn signal lamps may be flashed as warning lights on all vehicles actually engaged in a funeral procession, if the front turn signal lamps at each side are being flashed simultaneously and the rear turn signal lamps at each side are being flashed simultaneously.

(b) Turn signal lamps shall be flashed as warning lights whenever a vehicle is disabled upon the roadway and the vehicle is equipped with a device to automatically activate the front turn signal lamps at each side to flash simultaneously and the rear turn signal lamps at each side to flash simultaneously, if the device and the turn signal lamps were not rendered inoperative by the event which caused the vehicle to be disabled.

(c) Side lamps permitted under Section 25106 and used in conjunction with turn signal lamps may be flashed with the turn signal lamps as part of the warning light system, as provided in paragraphs (2) and (3) of subdivision (a).

(d) Required or permitted lamps on a trailer or semitrailer may flash when the trailer or semitrailer has broken away from the towing vehicle and the connection between the vehicles is broken.

(e) Hazard warning lights, as permitted by paragraphs (2) and (3) of subdivision (a) may be flashed in a repeating series of short and long flashes when the driver is in need of help.

Amended Sec. 23, Ch. 945, Stats. 1997. Effective January 1, 1998.
                  In CA, you, as a private citizen, are not permitted to display any warning lights other than those specifically permitted by the above section: Simultaneous flashing turn signal lamps. No Light Bars.
                  Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP View Post
                    Flashing lights for CA are as follows:

In CA, you, as a private citizen, are not permitted to display any warning lights other than those specifically permitted by the above section: Simultaneous flashing turn signal lamps. No Light Bars.
                    Does this apply for texas as well or is it different.? See I told him that and he still wants to argue this. I told him if he did this with out proper authorization he could get a charge of inpersonating A public service official. Cause were I am from you can not run them , unless you are a public service official or vol. firefighter and then at that you got to have a test and approved for it but this guy seems to be a know it all. lol !!!

Comment

Does he want to just install a light bar, or actually have it activated while driving?
                      summer - winter - work

Comment

Originally posted by lugoffman View Post
                        Does this apply for texas as well or is it different.? See I told him that and he still wants to argue this. I told him if he did this with out proper authorization he could get a charge of inpersonating A public service official. Cause were I am from you can not run them , unless you are a public service official or vol. firefighter and then at that you got to have a test and approved for it but this guy seems to be a know it all. lol !!!

Based on the following section from the Texas Transportation Code, I would say that a light bar, that falls within the designated parameters, would be lawful if installed. However, I would rather see a TXDPS officer respond to the question.

§ 547.331. HAZARD LAMPS PERMITTED.

(a) A vehicle may
                        be equipped with lamps to warn other vehicle operators of a
                        vehicular traffic hazard that requires unusual care in approaching,
                        overtaking, or passing.

(b) The lamps shall be:

(1) mounted at the same level and spaced as widely
                        apart as practicable on the front and on the rear of the vehicle;
                        and

(2) visible at a distance of at least 500 feet in
                        normal sunlight.

(c) The lamps shall display simultaneously flashing lights
                        that emit:

(1) a white or amber light, or a color between white
                        and amber, if the lamp is mounted on the front of the vehicle; or

(2) a red or amber light, or a color between red and
                        amber, if the lamp is mounted on the rear of the vehicle.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
                        Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

Comment

Lots of construction vehicles in AZ have yellow light bars. Particularly those in road construction.
                          "A man who has nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the existing of better men than himself."
                          John Stuart Mill

Comment

Originally posted by JLee View Post
                            Does he want to just install a light bar, or actually have it activated while driving?
                            He wants to install a red and clear light but he is not a firefighter or a vol. plus put all his scanner stuff in his car

Comment

Originally posted by kman1981
                              hey SgtCHP-

i pulled a guy over for having a lightbar on the inside of his car (rear windshield of a crown vic). i wanted to cite him, but he showed me that the lights were amber, and even pulled out some documentation showing that it was legit in CA. i asked him why he had it, and he said "to warn drivers behind me of upcoming hazards." any suggestions?
                              This is probably the section he quoted to you; but, unless his vehicle falls into one of the specific categories outlined in sections(s) 25250 through 25282 of the California Vehicle code, he is in violation. Read my previous post addressing section 25251(a) VC. Those are the only types of FLASHING LIGHTS a passenger vehicle can display - lawfully!

Use of Flashing Amber Warning Light
                              25268. No person shall display a flashing amber warning light on a vehicle as permitted by this code except when an unusual traffic hazard exists.

Added Ch. 653, Stats. 1961. Effective September 15, 1961.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3450 users online. 172 members and 3278 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X