300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• civil exam

If you pass the civil exam but the department hires all they want before they get to your name, does your name go on next test list or do you have to take it again? Also if you do not take the test again with them and go to another department will that look bad on the app? By any chance could they call you or send a letter around next test and say they want you to come back?
    "Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what your doing, you will be successful"

"We're all going to screw up. But life is about how you come back from it, how you learn from it and how you use it to make yourself a better, stronger person."

Would that look crazy to take the test again or like someone who really wants it? With all the budget cut backs departments are not hiring as much as they used to. I tested 11 days ago and I am half way on the list. I fell right in the middle. I know I have to wait until they get to my name so I can "out shine" the others in the rest of the process and earn my place in the department. I just hope they do not hire before they get to my name.
    "Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what your doing, you will be successful"

"We're all going to screw up. But life is about how you come back from it, how you learn from it and how you use it to make yourself a better, stronger person."

Comment

Taking the test multiple times because you were not reachable does not have a negative connotation. If 100 people apply for 10 vacancies, 90 of them are going to be disappointed. The civil service testing process is intended to identify and hire the best qualified for the job. You just keep studying and taking the test until you score high enough to be reachable.

The key is to study and learn. Often the exam announcement will tell you what you will be tested on (its usually buried in the fine print). If it does, take classes or pick up books and study in those areas. Also talk to the recruiters for the department in question and see if they conduct classes to prepare applicants for the test, or if they can direct you to study materials. While no one is going to give you the answers to the test, what they will test you on in general is not a state secret and most agencies will give you a few clues if you ask.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

All the civil service exams I have taken last bwteen 6months- 1year. After that, you have retake the test. Its horrible, I know.

Comment

In NJ, the civil service exam is given every 2 years, which is statewide. No all police departments are civil service though. Most people take the test a few times before the get hired. If you do get hired off the list , your name is removed from the title that you were hired under. For example, you get hired by the state department of corrections, but also checked off Municipal Police officer, Sheriffs officer, State park ranger , your name is no longer on the corrections list, but is on the rest of the lists.
          Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

When they gave us the test book to study I looked it over and I thought "hey I got this". When I got my test score I could not believe I scored a 84. I do not feel that is to low for it to be my first test. On the other hand if I have to test again, I will know what to look for.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsG22TX View Post
              When they gave us the test book to study I looked it over and I thought "hey I got this". When I got my test score I could not believe I scored a 84. I do not feel that is to low for it to be my first test. On the other hand if I have to test again, I will know what to look for.
              84 is a respectable score. But some agencies have a stick up their you know whats. For a while, my agency would not take anyone who got an overall score of less than 95. Once that hired down to that point, they threw the list out and held a new test. Then they couldn't figure out why they had trouble filling positions. Oh well.

Comment

I have been told that a department has hired the last few people on the list. Do they all start from the top of the list? Or can they just pick numbers and start where they want to? Even if they started from the bottom I am still right in the middle though. I have not thought about putting in apps with other PD's since I want this department. Is that a smart move? I know a few of people who are applying with every department that is testing, saying may the first one hire me. But I am stuck on this one.

Comment

In most civil service agencies they start at the top of the list (highest score) and work their way down in a very structured process. Most civil service rules allow for what's called the "rule of three" which gives an agency the option of picking anyone in the top three scores to fill a position. After they pick someone, the next position must be filled from whoever now comprises the top three scores. Lets say the pick #3 to fill the first position, That means the next position can only be filled by #1, 2 or 4 on the list. If they pick #1, the next position after that must be filled by #2, 4 or 5. Let's say they offer it to #4, but he passes because he took a job elsewhere, Now they have the option of offering it to #2, 5 or 6. It goes on from there.

A simple rule of thumb is, if there are 10 vacancies and no one waives the position or otherwise gets DQed, under the rule of 3 they can select anyone as far up the list as #13, but no farther.

Comment

When it comes to the Civil Service Test, an 84% isnt going to get you anywhere. You have ALOT of factors you have to realize.

1st... There is the Military 10+ points
                    2nd... You are competeing with people who have taken the test SEVERAL times.
                    3rd... Affirmative Action

Ive taken the test ALOT and always score mid 90's and the people who military usually score higher with the 10+ points. sometimes higher then 100%! its almost impossible to compete.

BUT..... Never give up..... You'll get used to the test and score higher and higher. The job's worth the wait. Trust me.

Comment

Affirmative Action? Well if that is the case I am a black female. I do not feel that makes me any better at the position because of my color. This was my first test. To be honest I do not want to have to test again. I would love to get on with the department that I tested for. But on the other hand I know that if I do test again, I will know what to look for on the test. I do not want to get a job because of my race or being a female. I want to get it because I have earned my place with that department!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsG22TX View Post
                        Affirmative Action? Well if that is the case I am a black female. I do not feel that makes me any better at the position because of my color. This was my first test. To be honest I do not want to have to test again. I would love to get on with the department that I tested for. But on the other hand I know that if I do test again, I will know what to look for on the test. I do not want to get a job because of my race or being a female. I want to get it because I have earned my place with that department!
                        good! thats the way it should be! i hope the best for you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6102 users online. 317 members and 5785 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X