300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulled over with CCW. What to do?

My question is what do I do if I get pulled over while carrying? I am a responsible driver no contest but even I occasionaly forget to hit the turn lever. My guess is hands at 10 and 2, vehicle off, belt on, and notify the officer immediately: "I am armed, what do you want me to do officer?" I have only had my permit for a year and have yet to find anyone else that I know that carries whom has been pulled over to get advice from. We are a pretty responsible group it seems.
    Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J54t-ckZkQ
    ~nothing follows~

Comment

You'll get a lot of different responses to that question, for a variety of reasons. My personal preference would be for you to do as you've described, only adding that you have your CCW permit and driver's license in hand upon my approach. Some states apparently mandate notification and others don't. Obviously you want to obey your state's laws, but even if it wasn't mandated (as the investigating officer) I'd prefer to know.
      "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

I like you to do what you do and tell me what pulicords wants, then tell me where the gun is and not do anything until I tell you.
        Why do people think they have the right not to listen when they are told to roll a window down or unlock a door?

Comment

All good ideas, imagine you are the officer, you want to know who you are dealing with, what they have, and where it is at. Pretty simple, this approach along with a calm demeanor should go a long way at putting the officer at ease, and diminshing the posibility of an unwanted suprise that becomes an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by pulicords View Post
            Some states apparently mandate notification and others don't.
            In his State (Missouri) the LEO will know that he is armed if he has followed procedures and went to DMV to get it all put on his license plates and Operator's License.....like the State tells him to do.....as when the plate or OL is ran....it will come up.....plus it will be on the top of the OL that he is a CCW permit holder.....

As suggested, if you get pulled over.....keep your hands on the steering wheel until you are instructed to do something else.....turn the overhead/interior light on if it's dark out......and tell the LEO stopping you that you have a CCW permit and where the weapon is.....then listen to his/her every instruction as what to do next......as EVERY LEO is different on how they want you to act....

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
              In his State (Missouri) the LEO will know that he is armed if he has followed procedures and went to DMV to get it all put on his license plates and Operator's License.....like the State tells him to do.....as when the plate or OL is ran....it will come up.....plus it will be on the top of the OL that he is a CCW permit holder......
              Do you know what other states they do that in? Thats a REALLY good idea. Should be that way nationwide. I wouldn't mind writing up to the state and suggesting it if Ohio doesn't have it.
              ~nothing follows~

Comment

In Ms. it ia legal to have a weapon in your vehicle. Your vehicle is considered an extension of your home. Most of the traffic stops that I make here the person has a weapon.
                Geaux Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by dangerstayback View Post
                  Do you know what other states they do that in? Thats a REALLY good idea. Should be that way nationwide. I wouldn't mind writing up to the state and suggesting it if Ohio doesn't have it.
                  No clue.....none whatsoever......

I just know MO Statute......and know that once the Sheriff of the County issues a person a CCW, the person has XX number of hours to get over to the DMV and they have to buy a new operator's license with CCW across the top......and the information is record on both the operator's license and the plates....so if a LEO runs them (like doing background on an investigation, if they don't have the OL on them, or if you run the tags) it will pop up.......

Comment

Click the search button and look for "CCW traffic stop" and you'll find a ton of previous posts on this same topic.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...W+traffic+stop

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...W+traffic+stop

as two examples.
                    I miss you, Dave.
                    http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

I've never heard of CCWs being attached to license plates.....

Kinda strange that I'm a MO LEO and a CCW instructor.

Also...there not emblazoned on your DL unless you want them to be...you can opt for a nondriver ID card for your CCW.

Nonetheless, Missouri CCW holders are not obligated to inform LE unless asked. Should you take the initiative? I would think so....pucker moments aren't a good thing for me.

Comment

Keeps your hands on the wheel..

Tell the cop youre packing.....

Tell the cop what movements you are about to make....

Comment

Tell the cop what movements you are about to make....
                          As mentioned above, I would advise against making ANY movements until the officer directs you too !
                          Let him control the situation, not you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3363 users online. 169 members and 3194 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X