300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• someone help

Hey, I caught an assualt in the third degree charge against an ex-girlfriend of mine about four years ago. I pled guilty to a city violation and the case has been sealed ever since. I took the NYPD exam and passed and am currently placed on educational hold. My question is will this hold me back from entering the academy?

yes it will be a problem, domestic violence is frowned upon.

Comment

Originally posted by walkingthebeat View Post
      Hey, I caught an assualt in the third degree charge against an ex-girlfriend of mine about four years ago. I pled guilty to a city violation and the case has been sealed ever since. I took the NYPD exam and passed and am currently placed on educational hold. My question is will this hold me back from entering the academy?
      She is an ex girlfriend so its considered domestic. Anyone convicted of domestic violence in any form can NOT carry a firearm. If you can not carry a firearm, you can not be a police officer. It is virtually impossible to get hired by an agency with a domestic violence conviction unless you somehow get it expunged.

Comment

He said he pled guilty to assault, not DV. Based on the limited info, it would not be a DV in Ohio, I don't know about NY.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
          He said he pled guilty to assault, not DV. Based on the limited info, it would not be a DV in Ohio, I don't know about NY.
          The assault being his EX GIRLFRIEND. That makes it domestic. If I see my ex girlfriend from 25 years ago and slap the taste out of her mouth, its considered a domestic assault because we had a relationship in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
            i pled quilty to a "city violation" never went thur central booking i just got a "d.a.t" to appear in court and i pled quilty to violation i just had to pay a ticket and that was that. its been closed ever since.

Comment

Pled shmed. What were you charged with? And did you do it?

psst-City, depends on where you're at...would be DV here too (for the most part)
              sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

i pled quilty to a "city violation" never went thur central booking i just got a "d.a.t" to appear in court and i pled quilty to violation i just had to pay a ticket and that was that. its been closed ever since.
                Theres a difference between a ticket violation and a Misdomenor charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                  Pled shmed. What were you charged with? And did you do it?

psst-City, depends on where you're at...would be DV here too (for the most part)
                  my charge just say assualt in the 3rd degree.and no i diint do it i pled quilty because i was taking to many day off of work... man if i new that this was going to bite me in the i would of handle it a diffrent way.

Comment

Originally posted by CityCopDC View Post
                    The assault being his EX GIRLFRIEND. That makes it domestic. If I see my ex girlfriend from 25 years ago and slap the taste out of her mouth, its considered a domestic assault because we had a relationship in the past.
                    That may be how it is in your jurisdiction, but that is not how DV is defined here, nor, apparently, after doing a quick on-line search, how DV is defined in NY.

Comment

I can't pass judgement on your particular situation. What I can advise you is, that LE agencies take any Domestic Violence arrest/situation very seriously. Any conviction for a Domestic Violence related offense will prohibit you from owning/carrying a firearm. Obviously, this would negatively impact your ability to be a Police Officer.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                        I can't pass judgement on your particular situation. What I can advise you is, that LE agencies take any Domestic Violence arrest/situation very seriously. Any conviction for a Domestic Violence related offense will prohibit you from owning/carrying a firearm. Obviously, this would negatively impact your ability to be a Police Officer.
                        i pled to a violation dont that knock out original conviction that i had before?
                        none of my paper work that am getting ready for my B.I says that it was a "domestic violence" case. it only say assualt in the 3rd. and that it was knock down to a violation, so i pled to it.

Comment

i pled to a violation dont that knock out original conviction that i had before?
                          none of my paper work that am getting ready for my B.I says that it was a "domestic violence" case. it only say assualt in the 3rd. and that it was knock down to a violation, so i pled to it.
                          assualt in the 3rd + girl friend = domestic violence (or at least in florida it does)

Comment

Originally posted by luckydog View Post
                            assualt in the 3rd + girl friend = domestic violence (or at least in florida it does)

negative!

most cops think that is the case, but it's not entirely correct. simply being romantically involved with someone does NOT automatically make it a DV.

if they never lived in the same household, had children together, nor married or related (eww, but it happens) it is NOT a DV.

think about it - a john and a prostitute argue over the price (post act), the john punches her in the face, is it DV?

ETA - don't take my word for it, read FSS 39.902(3) for the definition of "family or household member"
                            Last edited by injunwil; 08-08-2008, 02:49 AM.

Comment

Domestic violence occurs when a family member, partner, or ex-partner attempts to physically or psychologically dominate another. Domestic violence often refers to violence between spouses, or spousal abuse, but can also include co-habitants and non-married intimate partners
                              The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                              that we are all that stands between
                              the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3107 users online. 176 members and 2931 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X