Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of antiwar protesters?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Group_29

I understand why you could think that. After all, what blood have I ever shed in this cause of mine? What does my sacrifice compare to giving your life? Not much, I’ll readily admit. But I would ask you, in what capacity, am I supposed to give my life for my cause, just to show that I am sincere and I care very much? Dying for a cause seems to imply dying in battle for it, although that’s not always the case. But how am I supposed to die in battle in an effort to stop this war? That would mean taking up arms, a violent revolution if you will. That is a place I have no intention of going. In addition to being doomed to failure, it has the unpleasant side effect of harming my fellow countrymen, people that I love and adore in spite of how crazy they sometimes are. So, I can’t in good conscience fight in Iraq, I don’t want to take up arms, so I there’s really no way for me to prove to you that I really care about what I care about other than through my words. If I served maybe a year in jail, or a long prison term as opposed to one night, maybe then you would believe my sincerity, but then there’s that pesky breaking the law issue, of which none of you seem to approve for obvious reasons. So hopefully, maybe I can just reach you through my words, and nobody has to die here.

Comment

M-11 and hobsie711

I admire you for your service. I don’t doubt for one minute that you are very brave men, incredibly determined, committed to your ideals, hard workers, and very just throughout all areas of your life. I’m sorry that you found my comments hurtful or crass. I didn’t come here to offend anyone. A little background on me, if you’re interested. I come from a family with a long history of military service. Both of my grandparents were World War 2 veterans. My dad was Air Force Reserves. One of my best friends from high school fought in Iraq, in the early days of the war. One of my current roommates, whom I consider to be a very good friend, was in the Navy for eight years. Not all of my family or my friends, have always thought like me, as some of you have implied. When I was a kid, I wanted so badly to join the Army or the Marines. Much of my youth was actually spent with the idea in my mind that I would do that when I got old enough. I never did, obviously. Why? My feelings about either branch of service never really changed, I still admire them both for what they do. My feelings about the U.S. Government did. I’ll go more into why and how later, but in a nutshell, I believe soldiers are patriotic and brave, I believe the world’s elite are not. All I can say to you is, I understand why you feel that way you do, I imagine that if I were in your shoes, I would feel the same way. It must be infuriating, to have gone through what you went through, to have sweated, grunted, and bled as much as you did, to watch your friends die and get maimed, only to hear somebody like me back home saying that he thought it was all, “unspeakable evil.” Somebody who does it all in relative safety. I’m sorry that it makes you feel that way. I really am. But I can’t help how I feel, and I will go more into detail about why. I do not believe you are evil, but I can imagine that you wouldn’t be able to take it any other way. In your mind, if I view the mission as evil, then I must view you, who carries it out, as evil. I can assure you that I don’t, nor do I believe everything you did there was evil, wrong, or oppressive. I’m sure, in your own sphere of events, you did the best you could and probably accomplished a lot of good. I don’t know what you did there, but I’ll offer up possibilities such as save a wounded comrade, feed a starving Iraqi, or fighting the good fight where you could. I’ll go more into my views later, if you really want to hear about them, but as I have said before, my life is very busy right now, and I have to limit my time here. But I wish you all the best.

Comment

Downtown Hound, exactly how old are you? Not meant to insult you or what not, but just trying to figure out your age group and how this all plays out.

my in-laws used to protest, they were hippies and you could imagine now....they are not. I'm leaning that they matured with age and realized that they were misguided.

Comment

KapsFB,

Your response will have to wait a little longer. Because there is no way I can convey to what I really think or feel without going into a rather explanation. I will give you one, when I have the time, but I am about to go out for the night and can't do it right now.

mdrdep

Thanks for the kind words. Most of that post was sarcastic, I can assure you that I'm fine. But it is a little intimidating to venture in here. This isn't exactly "friendly" territory for somebody like me. I'll see you all tomorrow. Have a great night.

Comment

I'm 31, MCAPO.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Hound View Post
              Smurfette_76

Of course it can be your personal opinion. I only asked as an LEO because I thought you might have some unique insight to the question. Didn’t mean to offend you. As to whether or not our message gets drowned out in the delivery, well I’ll go more into that later.

Not Offended, only trying to determine why the opinion of a LE is more important or means I might have a different answer than a non-LEO.
              sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

KapsFB,

Your response will have to wait a little longer. Because there is no way I can convey to what I really think or feel without going into a rather explanation. I will give you one, when I have the time, but I am about to go out for the night and can't do it right now.
                In others words you have no legitimate answer. Define "rather explanation".

You haven't been subject to any government "evil". Not many really have save those looked at by the IRS .

When you have the time? What the hell you doing? You've had time to post your idiotic philosophies on this (and I'm certain other) site. Tell me. Do you actually have a job?
                sigpic
                Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
                And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

I spent over 20 years in the Army protecting your way of life. But personally, I can't stand you or anything you say you are for. You want the freedom to protest, but you're not willing to stand shoulder to shoulder with me to fight to keep those rights and that makes you less than an American in my opinion. I have absolutely no use for you or the drivel that comes out of your mouth. As a police officer, I can only hope for the day you and I are across the protest line from each other. You'll be taken away with more than some flexi cuffs on.

Comment

Great illustration

Watch this to see what we think of antiwar protesters

HIPPIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/...videoId=163653
                    Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

Greetings all,

First of all, I’m not a cop, but I come in peace. I have a question for any of the LEO’s on this board that might be interested in answering. What do you think of anti-war protesters?
                      Please understand that I’m not attempting to start any wars here or attack any officers. I ask this because I am an anti-war protester, and I would like to reach out to any officers here that might be interested in talking to me.
                      I feel like there’s a lot of tension, mistrust, and sometimes even hate between the police and the antiwar movement. I’ve seen it from both sides of the line, and I’m really not here to start pointing fingers and assign blame to anyone for this. Rather, I’d like to extend an olive branch to all officers on this forum in the hopes that maybe we can come to some kind of understanding together.
                      I know that the police have a difficult job and I know that you are often spit on for your efforts. I know you are a wide variety of people with many different opinions and backgrounds. Some of you may hate the antiwar movement on principle, some of you may simply think we are a nuisance, and then some of you might secretly be cheering us on.
                      Whatever you feel is okay with me, I’m not trying to change your minds on anything. If you hate us, please tell me why. Perhaps you hate us because you feel we are unpatriotic. Maybe you have friends or loved ones in the military, and you feel that we spit on their service. I hope this isn’t the case, but if it is, feel free to tell me. If you support our message, but don’t like the way we go about it or treat you, please let me know that. If you love us, please let me know that, LOL!
                      All my dealings with cops have either been when they’ve given me a ticket, broken up a party I was at, or stared me down in riot gear, heh, heh. Only one time did one of you haul me off in plastic handcuffs for failure to disperse, and I’m not at all bitter. I knew what I was doing and was prepared to accept the consequences, which essentially consisted of having the charges dropped two weeks later. And I was treated very well, so thank you for that.
                      One of the saddest things I read on this forum was the thread about how so many of you feel so hated by so many people. Personally, I think that’s a very unfortunate thing and my heart goes out to all of you. Maybe you’ve felt hatred from us protesters before. Maybe you’ve felt something else. I’m hoping to move past the hate and the mistrust if there is any and help you understand that I do respect you. I hope that you might be interested in doing the same.
                      So, what are your thoughts on the antiwar movement?

Feelings aside, back to your original question about how do I feel about the anti=war protestor pinko's.

I would like to spit on them after I drop them in the middle of a country that has no democracy or freedom and tell them good bye, don't write.
                      "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

LOL. Nightshift, you should learn to express yourself more clearly. I'm afraid I missed your point!
                        sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

There are less hippies in population now then ever before in history. Celebrate. If you can protest, thank a soldier for the right to do so. Protesting is one thing, America haters are another.

Comment

I'm going to agree once with China's policy on corralling them and placing their A ss's far, far away from the games!
                            We should adopt that same policy one day, first customer Downtown Hound.....

Thank a soldier for that right to protest, then think very hard who's right or wrong in this fight!!!
                            Last edited by Ralph8119; 08-11-2008, 02:54 AM.
                            Take care and stay safe!
                            Ralph8119
                            A Little Something Else For Those 60's & 70's Music Lovers On Line!
                            sigpic
                            http://www.myfreenetradio.com/listen70s.asx

A Cool Website On History In Photos Of The New York City Police Department!
                            http://www.policeny.com/home.html

Policelink!
                            http://policelink.monster.com/member/Ralph8119

Inside The New York City Police Academy!
                            http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/pr/videos.shtml

Comment

Group_29

I understand why you could think that. After all, what blood have I ever shed in this cause of mine? What does my sacrifice compare to giving your life? Not much, I’ll readily admit. But I would ask you, in what capacity, am I supposed to give my life for my cause, just to show that I am sincere and I care very much? Dying for a cause seems to imply dying in battle for it, although that’s not always the case. But how am I supposed to die in battle in an effort to stop this war? That would mean taking up arms, a violent revolution if you will. That is a place I have no intention of going. In addition to being doomed to failure, it has the unpleasant side effect of harming my fellow countrymen, people that I love and adore in spite of how crazy they sometimes are. So, I can’t in good conscience fight in Iraq, I don’t want to take up arms, so I there’s really no way for me to prove to you that I really care about what I care about other than through my words. If I served maybe a year in jail, or a long prison term as opposed to one night, maybe then you would believe my sincerity, but then there’s that pesky breaking the law issue, of which none of you seem to approve for obvious reasons. So hopefully, maybe I can just reach you through my words, and nobody has to die here.
                              I never said you didn't believe in yourself. I never met a protester yet who didn't have extremely high self esteem. How convenient though, that you can't find a way to risk, or give, your life for your beliefs, the way the warriors did to give you the right to denigrate their sacrifice.

You have a right to free speech and for your opinion to be heard. You don't have a right for your opinion to be taken seriously.

A wise man who helped form this country, once said, "I may disagree with your opinion, but I will fight to the death to defend your right to have it."
                              That man was a warrior, who fought in a war, so that you could go and protest his actions and the people who followed him.

That you can't see the irony that is so thick, is so remarkable, that it will be your lasting impression with me.

Comment

Well-said, Group....... Well-said.
                                1*

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4155 users online. 294 members and 3861 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X