Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The PD of Kenosha has a very large are in which we can live. It includes the entire county of Kenosha and north to the southern suburbs of Milwaukee.

I have attached the link of the areas that I can live:
    "Candidates appointed must conform to the residency requirement within one month after completion of their probation and maintain such requirement during incumbency. Residency shall be established by a radius equal to the approximate distance to the Walworth/Kenosha County line north to the " Milwaukee " area. City residency shall include the following areas: Kenosha County , Racine County except for the Town of Waterford (the Village of Waterford is acceptable), Franklin , Oak Creek , and South Milwaukee . As Current Wisconsin law does not permit the ability to carry a weapon across state lines, the residency radius will not extend into Illinois."
    http://www.kenoshapolice.com/images/...y_Boundary.jpg

I have heard excellent things about Pleasant Prairie, I will definitely look at that area.

Thanks
    "He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not loose."
    Jim Elliot (Martyred Missionany to Aucca Indains)

Comment

Live away from your city. I live close to my town but it is amazing how 5 miles make a difference from a **** poor town to a good area in a different city to live. Just do not live in the town you work in. live close to it but not in it.

Comment

Before going Fed I worked in a smaller city 40,000. To take advantage of the take home vehicle program I had to live in the city limits. I didn't mind too much, as I lived in the neighborhood that I grew up in, so everyone knew that I was with the department.

I would also recommend that you leave the family where they are at, for the time being while you are in the academy. When you hit the streets you will start to get a feeling of where you should look at moving. If possible, move the family up next summer, or if you cant go that long, after the holiday school break.

When I took the job I am at now, I spent 3 weeks in a motel while I waited to find a place that I could live with.

Comment

Everyone has made good points here, and it really all comes down to what is best in each individual situation. I have lived both in and out of jurisdictions when I worked for various departments. Both had advantages and disadvantages.

Overall though, I prefer to live in my jurisdiction. I feel like I have a more personal stake in the community if I live there too. I don't have kids though; perhaps if my kids had to go to school with the kids of my arrestees (or the arrestees themselves) I might have a different opinion.
          -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them"-Felix

Comment

Originally posted by Only 4 to go View Post
            I live an hour away from my department
            Just asking....how can you afford to do that with todays fuel prices.....?

That's something I would have to look at if I was in the original posters shoes......

Comment

I am living about 2 blocks from my PD right now. I have familiar, reliable back up on hand at any given time and stay in a decent area of town. It is really nice being able to wait until the last minute and calling to see if a trial is going forward or not and not having to waste my time showing up, just in case. There is no way to understand how many free hours we give until you are actually employed, and I value my personal time greatly. I do have to be more careful than some other guys sometimes, but they give up to 2 hours of their life and family time every day, so I view it as a trade off.

I do feel like it gives me a personal stake, and it changes how you interact with people, when you know you may run into them at the grocery store. I do feel it keeps my tatical edge sharp because I don't let my guard down. I am glad, because you never know when something is going to happen and I am more alert than the guy who thinks he is in the safety zone above it all. I would like to see a study about showing more serious danger/ incidents related to living in venue as a LEO.

I am sending my kids to private school anyway,that is still cheaper than gas and maintance for a long drive and it pays off big for my kids in the end.

In the end at least wait long enough to make an informed desicion about where/what area to live. Some times a street or two can make a big difference. I would not rely on general statistics or the like for this, nothing replaces personal knowledge and experience.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice.

After much prayer, many discussions, and reading over the posts, My wife and I have decided to rent on the perimeter of the city I will be working in.
                We found a rental that allows us to pay month to month without commiting a 12 month lease. This will allow us to get used to the area and begin looking for a house and take our time to make an informed decision.

I will still be eager to hear any more advice from any officers.
                Thanks
                "He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not loose."
                Jim Elliot (Martyred Missionany to Aucca Indains)

Comment

Originally posted by CubFanPDMan View Post
                  Thanks for all the advice.

After much prayer, many discussions, and reading over the posts, My wife and I have decided to rent on the perimeter of the city I will be working in.
                  We found a rental that allows us to pay month to month without commiting a 12 month lease. This will allow us to get used to the area and begin looking for a house and take our time to make an informed decision.

I will still be eager to hear any more advice from any officers.
                  Thanks
                  Careful they dont sell the castle out from under you and give you 30 day notice to vacate

Comment

I used to live in the town I worked in. Now I have switched jobs and it is about 30 miles away from where I live and in a different county. When I lived/worked in the same town, as mentioned before, I never felt like I was off duty. Granted, it was a small town department with only two full time officers, so there wasn't always someone on duty. People would show up at my house wanting help. I couldn't even play with my kids in my front yard because of people interrupting my time. I basically became a hermit living in my basement!! My days off, we would spend out of town just so I could relax.
                    Now that I am working outside of my area, I am outside with my kids all the time. We are able to go on bike rides with no problems and I don't run into people I have hooked up.
                    I will gladly pay the extra in gas for me being able to have a normal home life.

Good luck in Kenosha! I looked at Pleasant Prairie a few years back when they were hiring, but found this job closer to home. It looks like a very nice area.

Comment

If you can afford it, rent a place till you find the right home to buy. It sounds like you have nothing to sell right now which is good. DO NOT BUY any old house with the intention of selling it in a year once you are settled. You almost certainly will loose money. Good Luck.

Comment

It was already mentioned above but get a roommate with someone at the academy if you can and rent something short term.

Don't uproot the family until you can completely focus on it. You want to be focused on your academy not trying to find a decent place for you wife and kids. Also you won't rush into a place just to get it done. Take the proper time to scope out neighborhoods, schools, ect and do it right the first time.

I would also ask your new co-workers. They will obviously know the good and bad areas and probably a good realator to hook up with. Its a perfectly reasonable question to ask and I don't think anyone will take the wrong way because you're the new rook.

Comment

Originally posted by CubFanPDMan View Post
                          The reason I ask about living in the city you patrol is because I had a friend that was a LEO and he was very protective about his personal info. He did not even want it listed in the Church directory. He also lived as far from the city he worked in as they allowed.
                          I talked to several other officers in Kenosha that said it was not a big deal to live where you work.

Thanks again.

Before you move your entire familly to the city you intend on working in scope it out by working there so you will know if it's fit to live in and most importantly what kind of schools your FOUR children will be attending..always be responsible by looking into those type of things before you move ANYWHERE no matter what your job is. Leave your family where they are and scope it out first...see if you can stay at another officers place during your work cycle then on off days commute back to your families place. then make a decision...dont just 'load up the truck and move to berverley"" so to speak...
                          "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Not sure if someone else said this, but my advice is NOT to live where you work/patrol. I'd say 15-20mi is a good distance. Reason being, you don't want to live next to the guy you just arrested/cited/etc. or see him in the store when you've got you family with you. I have to live within 30min drive time in case of emergency call up.

And even more important...you never ever want to live near a Cubs fan!
                            The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
                            Ronald Reagan

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3291 users online. 175 members and 3116 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X