300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student Loans

I am in the process of seeking eligibility for the March 2009 cadet class at the Austin Police Academy. I have a wife and 3 kids. The academy is 8 months long.

Supporting my family finacially during cadet training is still an issue that I'm trying to resolve. Question? Does attending the police academy qualify me for the same student loans that a state college student has access to? I have exhausted my G.I.Bill which would have helped; and am seeking alternate methods to support my family through the academy.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

Nick,

I admire your willingness to serve your community and wish you luck in your goals of becoming a police officer.

I would have to make an educated guess as to your question. I wouldn't think that student loans in the sense you are indicating would be available during the police academy. I say this because, most student loans are federally backed loans from private lenders. If you default, the lender gets the assistance of the Federal Government to collect funds, up to and including the garnishment of any Federal payments in the future (ie. tax refunds, welfare, etc.) Since the police academy is not part of an Accredited University's curriculum, I would doubt you would be able to seek that benefit.

Now, if you went to a lender and asked for a personal student loan, one not Federally backed, you would not be held to an Accredited University clause. I know that Chase bank does personal student loans up to $40k. I've considered it in the past to help get through my personal degree studies as well.

I, too, have 3 children so I understand where money can get tight. I've lived half my adult life on Ramen soup.

I hope this helps and I wish you luck in your hiring process.

-918-

Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness. James 3:18

Clinging to my guns and religion since 1975

Comment

Thank you very much for your reply. There are many arrangements possible that I feel would work including having my wife go back to work, but I don't want my family to suffer too much for the sake of my own pursuit for job satisfaction. I can't help feeling that that would be somewhat selfish. Any stories on how someone in my situation got through supporting their family would be greatly appreciated.

Some specs on me are that I'm a IT guy that will have my pay cut in 1/2 to attend the academy. My wife currently doesn't work, but at age 37 I feel if I'm going to make a career change it's either now or never and this is something I've always wanted to do and feel it would pay off in the long run.

Comment

You can't get a federal student loan for a police academy.

Comment

Nick, I'm a little confused by your post. Are you an Austin P.D. Recruit? If so, I would have assumed,(perhaps mistakenly) that you'd be paid while attending the Academy. I honestly don't know if the Federal government would provide you with a student loan. Many commercial banks will though. You may wish to do some checking with banks in your area. Good luck in the Academy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6148 users online. 322 members and 5826 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X