Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do You Feel About Cop Movies??

Hey Guys,
    I just got done watching "We Own The Night" with Mark Whalberg and Joaquin Phoenix. I thought it was a great movie, even better than "The Departed". I wanted to ask you guys how you feel about such cop movies. Do you feel flattered or offended?

Neither. I can imagine the paperwork involved in the operations that those do. Makes for good entertainment but the reality is very suspect.

In addition, we now have what is called the "CSI Effect". That's when you show up on a BOV or BOR and the victim wants to know where all the high tech stuff is to catch the bad guy. I actually had a person ask me when I can expect to apprehend the person that broke into her car, stealing her change in the center console. This is after she insisted that I take prints. Never mind she left her door unlocked.

Anyway, she was appalled when I told her that we don't have the "Finger print thingy" in my car and that it could take months for a result, if any, to get back to her.

She filled a complaint.

F
    Apple Fritter

Afiant further sayeth naught

Comment

I'm less and less amused by the way the entertainment industry "sexes up" our profession to make the characters more dramatic. There's a lot to find exciting and interesting in this field, without giving the public false impressions about the ability to do the job and the quality (or lack there of) of the people doing it.

Too many people either apply thinking they'll be dope cops, homicide investigators or SWAT a week after graduation from the academy and too many of our "customers" think we'll have their crime solved in 60 minutes (minus time for commercials) or we're constantly beating confessions out of suspects.
      "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Don't like 'em --- they're unrealistic storylines and/or show [email protected]#s poor safety practices & unrealistic behavior that'd get most cops fired or arrested ---- got no use for 'em...........

Comment

I seriously wonder sometimes who the movie studios hire as technical advisors for the "law enforcement" aspect of movies. I think they would be better served at times talking with the retired LAPD officers working security on the set for a more realistic idea of how things are really done....

Comment

i love cop movies. just saw Street Kings, awesome flick!

my Xwife hated 'em, when i asked why she gave an interesting reason. she said: these guys PRETEND to do what you actually do, people shoot at them with blanks, but shoot at you with live ammo. these guys wouldn't have the rocks to serve the warrants you have and vacation in the Carib while you work Xmas. they're FAKE, you're REAL, they gets MILLIONS you barely get by.

she made alot of sense, but i still love cop movies. i mean, whatelse am i supposed to watch. some sappy chick flick?!?!

Comment

It's no different than the old-timers would have said about Dragnet or Adam-12. It's entertainment, not reality. The media even edits the news to be entertaining at the expense of reality.
              I do more sound bites than most governors and I'm constantly disgusted by the coverage.

Comment

Since the Dirty Harry series, cop movies have gone downhill.

Actually, Reno 911 is probably more realistic than anything else out there these days. At least just as much.
                sigpic
                Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
                And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

Most realistic cop movie...ever.

Comment

Originally posted by pulicords View Post
                    I'm less and less amused by the way the entertainment industry "sexes up" our profession to make the characters more dramatic. There's a lot to find exciting and interesting in this field, without giving the public false impressions about the ability to do the job and the quality (or lack there of) of the people doing it.

Too many people either apply thinking they'll be dope cops, homicide investigators or SWAT a week after graduation from the academy and too many of our "customers" think we'll have their crime solved in 60 minutes (minus time for commercials) or we're constantly beating confessions out of suspects.
                    I always say the same thing. I think what we really do is interesting (or I wouldn't do it) and I don't see the need to Hollywood it up so much in movies.

Barney Miller, the guy on Family Matters, and the brother on Everybody Loves Raymond were really some of the most realistic police officers ever portrayed.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6922 users online. 366 members and 6556 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X