300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycles and red lights

I tried to find if this question had already been asked but didnt see anything...sorry if this is a repeat.
    What is the safest way to proceed against a red light when you are on a motorcycle and the light wont turn green?
    How would an officer prefer a situation like this to be handled?

There is on intersection on my way to work that I just cant seem to get through. I have since readjusted my routing to avoid that intersection. I know that was the best thing to do. I'm just curious aobut the best choice should I come across another intersection like that in the future.

Oh and I dont think my state (VA) has a law allowing Motorcycles to go through red lights after a signal goes through so many cycles without turning green.

Thanks
    I just haven't been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Contact your state's DOT and inform them they have a malfunctioning traffic signal. There are no traffic exemptions, at least in Oregon, that allow normal vehicle traffic to proceed through a red light simply beacuse you've sat there for a long time.

Comment

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...ght=motorcycle

Same topic that started out talking about South Carolina but pretty much the same info you are looking for

Comment

Originally posted by hurricane_medic View Post
        I tried to find if this question had already been asked but didnt see anything...sorry if this is a repeat.
        What is the safest way to proceed against a red light when you are on a motorcycle and the light wont turn green?
        How would an officer prefer a situation like this to be handled?

There is on intersection on my way to work that I just cant seem to get through. I have since readjusted my routing to avoid that intersection. I know that was the best thing to do. I'm just curious aobut the best choice should I come across another intersection like that in the future.

Oh and I dont think my state (VA) has a law allowing Motorcycles to go through red lights after a signal goes through so many cycles without turning green.

Thanks
        Understand your delima, been there, faced it head on, and after a couple cycles of a light, have on occasion proceeded after making sure that in no way was I placing anyone else or myself in danger. If traffic is "near nill" to very light, such a move is defensable as there isn't a police officer out there who hasn't been in a simular situation. If traffic is light moderate to heavy, not so defensable.

There have been times in heavier traffic when I couldn't get a light to change for me to go left when on the bike and cars slip in behind. I have signalled to the driver behind with hand gestures towards the light and gotten over to the right and went straight to turn around and come back friom the other way and make a left. I have done same ... only go right and come back and then it's straight.

Anytime I need to turn around, I attempt to always find a lot or street off the left which I can turn into while watching on-coming traffic, then when I re-enter traffic it's a simple right turn for me.

You have this one intersection in Va. that's causing you a regular problem. It sounds like one I often face going into a shopping center housing a favorite resturant involving a left. The left turn lane is slow even when I am in the police car, so I often just stay straight to the next left, make a u-turn (it's not prohibited there) when safe and comeback to it ... only now it's a right turn on red after stop and often I am ahead of the traffic that was waiting to turn left that I passed by while going straight on through.

You need a strategy that works every day, I'ld say re-routing as you've done is the plan. You are on a bke, so call it a "street survival tactic".

I have seen lights stick or not change because the bike (or even car) didn't trip them. If it's a light that controling your only means of proceeding, if there is no alternative, you either pick a spot and go through safely, or starve waiting for the change. I've seen them obviosly "stuck" or "not tripped" and just moved the bike slightly backwards and suddenly then ... they change.

Biggest thing is maintain safety, keep it sensable and maintain a low profile. If it's a reoccurring problem with the one light, perhaps a call into VDOT is in order. Following are some links just to look at if interested.

§ 46.2-833. Traffic lights; penalty.
        § 46.2-833.1. Evasion of traffic control devices.
        § 46.2-835. Right turn on steady red light after stopping.
        § 46.2-836. Left turn on steady red after stopping.
        Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 08-01-2008, 02:14 PM.
        "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I do appreciate it. Everyone have a safe weekend...I'll be working
          I just haven't been the same since that house fell on my sister.

Comment

Get one of these 'Green Light Triggers.' I have one on my bike and it works!

http://search.stores.ebay.com/EURODE...625126QQsofpZ0

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3897 users online. 238 members and 3659 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X