Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any significance to orange as gang color?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes. Except for one thing.

Anyone harms a hair on my head the PD will come down on these streets so hard they won't know what hit them.

Here's a funny story I wrote up a while back that pretty much explains the situation: I call this "Neighborhood Buzz"

It all started with something that happened when I was doing my own sort of unofficial "undercover" [citizen patrol] -- just me walking the 'hood with my cell phone handy. I’d done a lot of walks before this. A few times I'd seen something worth reporting, but of course waited until I was out of sight and hearing before I made the calls. I didn't go out with the intent, but you know if I see something I can't just let it go.

It was January. Coming back this particular time I was on [my street] approaching my corner when someone in a car honked and waved, then turned the corner at [cross street] to wait for me. I thought maybe it was someone who knew me from the neighborhood Association, so when he waved me over to his car I went, but with my pepper spray firmly in hand inside my coat pocket.

It wasn’t anyone I knew. He said he thought I was “cute” and asked me if I had a man. And I thought, oh boy. Just what I need. I said, “Thank you but I don’t pick anybody up off the street.” (Least of all off of [my street] Ave. -- though I didn't say THAT.) He said he wasn’t trying to pick me up but asked again if I had a man.

I figured I'd better say that I do. More quick thinking: I said, “As a matter of fact, I have several (pause for effect)...and they all wear uniforms.”

“Cops?” he asked. “Yes,” I said.

He believed me. And it wasn't too long after that he split. I thought that was pretty funny.

Later (after [commander] & [captain] dropped by in a cruiser & took me to lunch at a neighborhood restaurant) Wanda, one of my street friends, kept asking me about my cop boyfriends. So I knew the story had made it through the grapevine.

Now Wanda is convinced that every cop she sees me talking to is my boyfriend. One day she asked me which of the two who were walking the [citizen patrol] saturation was mine. I guess she can’t imagine any reason for me to talk to a cop unless he’s my boyfriend. So I said they ALL are.

Wanda’s a stitch. She said if it’s that many I should be getting paid. I said, “Wanda, I’m yanking your chain.” But she wouldn’t let go of it. Kept trying to get me to tell her more. She kept bringing up the two who had taken me to lunch. She said I was smiling pretty big when they dropped me off. Since she clearly wasn’t going to believe any denial, I played along -- I said the question isn’t how big *I* was smiling but how big THEY were smiling. She bought it.

Some people are SO gullible!

Later she saw me coming back home from what was actually a business visit with another captain and asked me which one it was this time. She was convinced I was out having some “afternoon delight” with one of my cop boyfriends. So I decided to play along again. Anything Wanda hears gets around the neighborhood lightning fast. Can’t hurt to have all the boyz on the corner believing THAT story.

Lately I've been having another friend of mine sit on my porch with me in the evening. This guy is 6'5" 300+ lbs and a former corrections officer (Attica, post riot). Also the right color for the neighborhood. "Friends" (I don't count anyone on these streets as friend any more; I'm just pretending) have asked me about him and I have hinted that if anyone messes with me they'll get a beat down from him. He lives about six blocks down the street from me. I know him from the court watch volunteer program, so I know he is safe.

In a few weeks I have the mayor scheduled to walk these streets with me along with his top administrators (including the Chief). He does that in other neighborhoods -- this isn't just for me. But I did manage to get it nailed down.

So the cost to them of hurting me would be VERY HIGH.

This is what I mean about brains being my best protection.

And thanks for your support!

Originally posted by exComptonCop View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't killing you accomplish their objectives?

Kudos to you Ruby for doing the right thing and above all, stay safe out there.
    Last edited by rubyrose; 08-01-2008, 08:00 PM.
    Hatred never ceases by hatred, but by love alone is healed.
    Happiness never decreases by being shared. -- Buddhist quotation
    A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. -- Proverbs 15:1

Comment

Originally posted by rubyrose View Post
      . And the last two nights I've had a friend sitting with me on my porch -- former corrections officer, 6'5", 300+ lbs, and the "right color" if you catch my drift.
      What exactly is the " right color " ???? and what makes it " right "???
      Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

Incidentally, a friend informed me that the location of the "sag" with the saggy pants has its own set of meanings.

The sn***y dressers (no sags) are top dogs. The lower the sag, the lower the person is on the totem. The ones showing their full rear ends are lowest.

Don't know whether that's true or not (I don't believe anything until I get confirmation from several sources), but something to think about and consider while observing.

Again, MANY thanks to those who PM'd me their support and suggestions.

The sag started in prison... The guys with their pants on the "sag" showed it off meaning they were ready for some gay loving( to be a bitch)...For some reason it is now accepted as a gansta thing....but really they are just bitches
        Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

Originally posted by Chiller View Post
          What exactly is the " right color " ???? and what makes it " right "???

not that i agree with RR's tactics or her approach to personal safety, but i understand what she said. you don't?!?!

she lives in a predominantly black neighborhood, she is white. she stands out and looks out of place. her friend is black. by "right" she means he does NOT stand out or look out of place.

it's like the old Capt. Kangaroo thing with the whole: "(jingle)one of these kids is doin his own thing" remember? you'd have to find the one that is different? well, RR is the one that's different, her friend isn't.

make sense?

Comment

I guess I have one question...

Anyone harms a hair on my head the PD will come down on these streets so hard they won't know what hit them.
            Why exactly are they waiting?

You are talking about a Bodycount, and they are still waiting to strike?

Maybe they are using you for bait.

M-11
            “All men dream...... But not equally..
            Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
            but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
            for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Re: the "right color"

It's the right color because it's the color that the bad boyz respect.

It's the "right color" because it shows I have protectors "in the hood." My friend knows this. He is the one who used the term.

A white male, no matter what the size, would not command the same level of respect.

That's reality in the hood. You can't be a wannabe and scare them. You have to be the real thing.

M-11 you don't seem to have much knowledge of how gangs operate (forgive me if I am wrong -- I am guessing based on what you have said).

What is going on here is a full court press to scare the living daylights out of me. They use symbolic actions to push the fear buttons. They have a couple of objectives with that. Either I will give up and stay inside my house, or I will call 911 on them for what they know to be actions that patrol officers can't do much about. If I do it often enough I become "that crazy white b***h on the corner who is imagining these innocent black men are going to hurt her." Then I don't get the response I need when I need it.

What they don't know is that higher ups understand what is going on, that I have connections with them, and that there can be an organized effort to provide greater protection for me.

It is highly unlikely that they will actually hurt me because the cost would be way to high, most notably the interruption of business.

Right now the threat is purely symbolic. They want me to imagine they will kill me. However, that symbolic threat is backed up with a real threat if they perceive I have gone too far.

The question about the color orange was specifically for me to determine whether I could trust two people with whom I've already shared some information about my concerns. The way I could end up being another body on the list would be if they knew how much I know and how much I have provided to the police -- or if they imagine I have done more than I have. They won't kill me for what they already know about me. They COULD kill me for other stuff.

Now that I know I need to be more circumspect about what I reveal to these two "friends," I am safer because I will not continue to make the same mistake.

Incidentally, I am now considerably more safe because I used the kind of communications the gangstas understand:

I passed on to one of my gossipy “street friends” that the info about my new friend MC being a retired corrections officer out of Attica. I told J that if anyone messes with me MC will give them a good beat down.

J acts like he is my protector but I have also seen him talking a lot to the people involved. I suspect his “protection” amounts more to keeping the boyz in line so they don’t do anything stupid & arouse undue attention to the business. I am sure he means it in that he will try to keep them from hurting me, but I doubt the motive is all that altruistic.

Anyway, within a half hour after I dropped that message on J, lo and behold, from that point forward the bangers have been giving my corner a very wide berth.

As for me being "bait," not on your life. Not only does this PD not operate that way, I am also too valuable for what I might be able to provide on an upcoming gang member's case. Not that I had anything before. But now because of what I learned at that murder trial I am paying attention and am better able to connect the dots. I can't say anything more about that.

Push comes to shove, because of my minor celebrity status in this town, anything happens to me will produce hugely negative publicity for the Chief and for the Mayor. Aside from the people who know me personally there are hundreds if not thousands who know me through my various public writings and blogs.

I do believe they sincerely care about me. But even if they don't, they would not be able to live down anything untoward happening to me. I live in a city of only a little more than 200,000. A community activist who got killed being in the wrong place at the wrong time last year (he was robbed; he wasn't killed for his activism) along with another highly publicized homicide inspired what has been a very intensive policing effort.

Something happens to me, that intensive policing effort will be called into serious question. If you can't protect a person who so significantly volunteers on public safety issues, who has all the right connections, then nobody is safe.
              Last edited by rubyrose; 08-02-2008, 12:30 PM.
              A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. -- Proverbs 15:1

Comment

RR,

in all honesty, if they see the intimidation does NOT work and they're any kinda legitimate gangstaz, they will eventually kill you. i've spent time living in neighborhoods where bodies turned up, regularly, so i'm not just taking a guess from the comfort of my office. i'm speaking from experience. either they're posers or they don't have any problem clippin you or dealing with the fallout from the PoPo :-(

if you continue down the path you're on, i believe the likelihood of you being seriously injured or str8up killed is increasingly high.

wit, wisdom, and confidence will only carry you so far :-(

Comment

Something happens to me, that intensive policing effort will be called into serious question. If you can't protect a person who so significantly volunteers on public safety issues, who has all the right connections, then nobody is safe.
                  If these are 'hard core' gang members then that statement is correct......they could care less about any fallout from the police......some will take it as a point of PRIDE to go to state prison for your murder......

you need to be very very careful......

I realize that you care for your community, and you are attempting to do what is right......but, be more careful doing so......
                  The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Thank you for your cautionary advice.

I do think things are a bit different here. We have yet to have the kind of gang violence you see in many other cities. Here it is essentially confined to gang rivalries and revenge killings of gang members (or people trying to leave a gang). Homicides of persons of my color happen maybe once a year, and that's "wrong place, wrong time" or DV related. The color breakdown of homicide in this city -- of both victims and killers -- is glaringly obvious. Sad. But that's reality.

While I agree that going to prison for my murder would probably be something certain among them would do with pride, my point about the PD and the Mayor was that I have my own "gang" behind me, and it's bigger than theirs. I am confident that everything that CAN be done to protect me WILL be done.

Also, there are grown ups involved with this who are aware that bringing heat down on the business just isn't smart. The costliness isn't just in having one or two go to prison. The costliness is in the dent that the heat would make in their profits. While it would blow over eventually, why lose money if you don't have to?

Nonetheless, I do intend to be very cautious, even more so than I have been.

One of the things I plan to start up doing again (I've done it before) is filing a daily itinerary by email with a couple of people I know I can trust (not anyone on these streets) and then calling them when I am home & in for the night.

I will give them the cell # of a captain I know. If they haven't heard from me by a certain time (after calling ME to make sure I haven't just forgotten), they are to call that captain. That captain has all my important contact information (including friends/family I'm likely to have been in contact with) and all the locations I am likely to be found if I'm somewhere I'm supposed to be. I don't get out a lot after dark because of my health conditions, so tracking me down if I'm where I'm supposed to be should be pretty quick and easy. Especially if I have filed an itinerary.

I am always very cautious when I leave the house. With my current location it would be impossible for anyone to surprise me either coming home or going. I am also very good at noticing and dodging a follow. (I went through this a couple of years ago at my previous location.)

One place I am vulnerable is in the pass through to get to the back of the building so I can get to the basement to do laundry. I won't be doing any of that after dark. As it is, I always have my cell with me. I need to replace the pepper spray I lost.

Last night one of my street friends asked me for a ride someplace she needed to be. I could have turned her down but I also don't want to arouse suspicion with me suddenly being unfriendly when I've been so helpful before. So before I left I called my ex-C.O. friend, told him where I was going and who I was with. Told him if he didn't hear back from me in 20 minutes, there was a problem.

Well it was all uneventful. I suspect it was a ruse to get me away from my porch. Which is ok. I can't be watching the street all the time anyway.

Right now I am backing away from being the obvious watcher and 911 caller. What I've seen going down across the street from me in the pizza shop parking lot as well as a house directly across from me is going to take a well-planned effort, including some UC, to shut it down. Suddenly there is a very hot drug business where there was never anything before -- at least not obvious. Occasional transaction, but that's about it. Most of the activity was further up, out of my sight.

It's clear they've moved to that location because it hides them from the surveillance camera farther up.

Anyway, now when they see me go inside from my porch watch or stay outside and pick up my phone (calling friends)... no police will come. I am hoping this will lull them into a bit of complacency about me. So, while we are working out something more effective, I will be giving them a false sense of security. They will be thinking it won't be worth messing with me, cuz I'm going to appear to be fairly harmless.

I'm also going to have more people over to keep me company on my porch. I even have an O.com volunteer!

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                    If these are 'hard core' gang members then that statement is correct......they could care less about any fallout from the police......some will take it as a point of PRIDE to go to state prison for your murder......

you need to be very very careful......

I realize that you care for your community, and you are attempting to do what is right......but, be more careful doing so......

Comment

Uh Oh. I made a big boo boo...

I was on my porch tonight. Around 11 p.m. I noticed a pair I had seen last night around the same time come up and stand at a certain spot near the sidewalk in front of the pizza shop. They stand there and call out to cars as they pass by. When a car responds to their call out and pulls into the lot, they go up to it and start talking.

Tonight a particular car with several people in it pulled up and they went over to it. They were talking with these people a long time. Then the occupants got out of the car. They were clearly all partying. NOTE: not one of them ever once went into the pizza shop.

I have noticed that somewhere along this time (last night it lasted until about 1:30 a.m.), the parking lot is jammed full, lots of people milling about, cars sitting there with their lights on (perhaps signaling that they are drug customers?) These cars sit there far longer than is reasonable if waiting for a pizza. (It's just a take-out; no restaurant.) It is definitely a party atmosphere. I also noticed last night that every time I got up and went inside, cars would tear out of the parking lot. It's a safe assumption on their part that if I go inside the house I am probably calling 911.

After a while tonight I went inside and turned off my lights. I took a flashlight (which I keep pointed to the floor to avoid it being seen from outside) and went up to the attic where I have a good view of the parking lot. I figured I could take pics up there unnoticed. My camera (terrific zoom lens) can do low light conditions without a flash. The main problem is holding it steady enough.

I got some pretty good stuff.

However...uh...uh oh...

Since I’ve never been on the OTHER side of this new camera I did not realize it had a green light that turns on when you press the shutter button.

I figured this out when all of a sudden everybody just took off. I thought maybe there was a cop car in the vicinity, but I never saw one. Anyway, I turned my camera around to check it and then I saw that green light.

OMG. So when I thought I couldn’t be observed, my camera was betraying me.

O what frickin BAD LUCK. Ok, not bad luck. Stupidity.

Geez. I had decided to “lay low” and look what I ended up doing. ARRGGHHHH.

Well, one good effect. Ever since they "closed up shop" around quarter till midnight, the street has been exceptionally quiet. Gonna be hard for me to sleep tonight tho. I am so totally wired.
                      Last edited by rubyrose; 08-03-2008, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Sounds exciting... Personally, I would just move.

Comment

Wow. Lots of issues going on here.

Comment

Originally posted by Looker View Post
                            Wow. Lots of issues going on here.
                            Yes indeed!
                            "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

drama for your momma... I'm not real knowledgeable of gangs, but I'm guessing if they have killed people already, they probably do not care who you "hang out" with or what kind of "street cred" you have with the "right color" guy sitting on your porch.

This is my honest advice, Do yourself a favor and GTFOutta town.
                              No need to try to be brave... Killers do not care if you are brave and unarmed,
                              or if you are armed for that matter just look at how many fallen brothers and sisters we have in Law Enforcement due to killers who don't care... What makes you different?

Just my 2 cents Ruby.

Comment

Well that's you, Hoosier.

Me -- I'm a community activist who has been publicly challenging people to stand up to the thugs and not let them scare them out of doing the right thing. Just exactly how would it look and what would it do if I packed up and headed out of town? That would make me a total hypocrite.

Not to mention this is MY city, my BEAUTIFUL city, and I refuse to surrender it to thugs. There are many good people fighting to take it back. I am NOT alone.

There are things you don't know about this neighborhood. My street is a bad one, but the Ward itself has many good streets, starting just a few blocks over. I've posted pics of some of that

This is mostly psychological warfare. Our gangs, while no stranger to homicide and other violence, still are not any where near the levels that they are in other cities. The national gangs (Bloods, Crips) are only beginning to make minor inroads. If we don't stand up now, we will be overrun.

Right now, the risk of activism is considerably less than it will be if nobody has the courage to lead the way.

At the end of August I'm going to have my own little "gang reconnaissance" walking slowly up and down my street. That will be the Mayor, the police chief, the fire chief, and every other top departmental administrator, along with numerous community folk. I will be leading the "flock" and pointing out the problem spots. Things get done after these little neighborhood visits.

BTW, there is a night and day difference tonight. There are only five cars in the lot right now, and no one is hanging out.

This morning I got out to go to church. Before I left I came out to the porch and took my extra chairs in — forgot them last night. So my wonderful neighbors across the street I’m sure saw me come out, so they knew I was up. Then when I went back out to leave, all of a sudden there are a whole lot of people. They cross from pizza shop lot and then go over to the house on the other side of the vacant house next to me. [They know better than to take over the vacant house -- I've gotten trespassers arrested.] They all stand INSIDE the fence and turn to stare at me. Of course, since they are on private property there’s nothing that can be done.

I pulled out my phone and called myself, leaving a detailed description on my own voice mail. Then I left. But I circled around and came back by to see if they were still there. If they were still there then it was likely that the gathering wasn't for my benefit. Well, they were gone. Poof.

When I came back from church & sat on the porch for a while it was business as usual. So I decided to try a change-up.

I went out and did some yard work. The boyz would come by and I wouldn’t budge and wouldn’t even look up.

I saw the owner of the pizza shop (FM) out doing some of his own clean up and decided to take him into my confidence. I told him about what was going on at night in his parking lot and all up and down the street in the daytime.

He said he’d been trying to get the police to take action about the dealing in his lot and told me to call 911 on it any time. So I figured from that he was on the up and up.

After that I got my bike out & rode up C Ave., turned a few streets up. The boyz were a bit startled, to say the least. Then I realized my front tire needed air and I didn’t have any coins with me (we have to pay for air here!) so I turned around and came back home.

This time I rode on the sidewalk on THEIR side of the street. Right past them, like this is my street, what are YOU doing here? You should have seen the looks on their faces!

Then I went riding down T Road (rival gang territory) and around the interior streets (not gang territory) & went to a friend’s house on R Street. She is moving and giving away stuff, so I picked out some things, planning to go back with the car later.

When I came back on the bike I did the same thing, riding on the sidewalk on their side of the street. Again, shock.

One way to get control is to do the unexpected.

Later I went and got a pizza. Not the best thing for me (suffering some of the effects right now!). But again it was “this is my territory too — don’t you forget that!"

Then I went to pick up the stuff at my friends. Very interesting events on my return. As I drove down the street it was completely clear. Then I parked and got out, and suddenly a whole bunch of people appear and start walking toward me from both directions. I just unloaded, completely nonchalant, as if nothing was going on. Some new guy (white!) came by on a bike and gave me a dirty stare the whole time. I returned the stare.

I figure I need to show them I’m not afraid.

Then all of a sudden the street was quiet and clear again.

Telling FM what I did may or may not have been a mistake. But the street is unbelievably clear right now and has been all evening.

I’ve been resting this evening and haven’t been on my porch. But despite that, the street is still clear. Night and day difference from the last week, and especially last night.

I doubt my little performances did the work. More likely the emails with detailed information and photos sent to key people inspired some police action while I was gone.

So, Hoosier, I appreciate your concern, but I have to live my life the way I believe life should be lived. From the time in high school when I established the "Human Relations Society" to deal with the rampant racism in the school (it was the early 60s) until now I have always been one to see problems and want to work to solve them.

Originally posted by Hoosier_Boy View Post
                                drama for your momma... I'm not real knowledgeable of gangs, but I'm guessing if they have killed people already, they probably do not care who you "hang out" with or what kind of "street cred" you have with the "right color" guy sitting on your porch.

This is my honest advice, Do yourself a favor and GTFOutta town.
                                No need to try to be brave... Killers do not care if you are brave and unarmed,
                                or if you are armed for that matter just look at how many fallen brothers and sisters we have in Law Enforcement due to killers who don't care... What makes you different?

Just my 2 cents Ruby.
                                Last edited by rubyrose; 08-03-2008, 11:25 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6457 users online. 349 members and 6108 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X