Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LEO and Vol Firefighter - Too much at once?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LEO and Vol Firefighter - Too much at once?

As the title imples - I'm curious as to what some of you think about this. As I've made it known, I'm hoping for a career in LE, whether it be federal, state or local. I've also thought about joining one of the local VFD's (either here or where I hope to be located after school).

My question for you is: Do you think being a LEO and a volunteer firefigher at the same time will be too much? If not - has anyone (or is anyone) presently doing that?

Thanks!

I have been a career LEO for 15 years and volunteer / POC Firefighter/EMT for 18 years. I haven't had any issues with it- and in many ways it has helped me further my LE career.

In addition, with the shifts that I work I am able to help the rural community that I live in during the day- when many other volunteers are working out of town.

PM if you want more info.
    ---Cut the red wire---

Comment

I currently work full-time at a FD and reserve as a police officer. One of our other full-time firemen is also a reserve officer and a couple of our volunteer firemen are full-time cops. It's not too uncommon around here.

It won't be too much, IF YOU DON'T LET IT. Don't let yourself get burned out trying to do everything as soon as possible. Keep your social life active, you don't want to wind up only having "the job" in 10 years.

And most importantly:
      Absolutely DO NOT let your family life suffer just so you can make it to every call, event, etc.
      “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

Comment

VFF for 25 years, in various depts., and 23 years LEO, no, you can do both, you may have to take some time off, or cut back your hours if you want to get married and have a family, but I found the balance to do both, and some other things as well

Comment

Awesome!

Just what I was hoping to hear. Thank you!

Comment

Ok - another quick question. What about being a member of a volunteer fire department and a college student at the same time?

Given that school is like a job to most students, I would assume it's the same situation as with being in an actual job - I just want to make sure.

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenixCadet View Post
              Ok - another quick question. What about being a member of a volunteer fire department and a college student at the same time?

Given that school is like a job to most students, I would assume it's the same situation as with being in an actual job - I just want to make sure.
              LOL, I'm going to school too - working on a computer programming degree. Same advice applies.

I also run a part-time computer repair business and I'm an active Shriner.

It's all about pacing yourself and time management.
              “We don't disagree, you are wrong. Until you have a clue what you are talking about we can't disagree.” - cgh6366

Comment

Worked great for me

I joined our local volunteer fire department when I was 18 and the decided to go on to be a LEO and while I was in college I continued to take fire type classes on nights and weekends and eventually took some medical classes and became an EMT. Then when I graduated from school I started to interview and a lot of chiefs were impressed by what I all did while in school. Any little thing that you can do to give yourself the edge over someone else is something you got to do. Just remember that when you start to take tests at departments look to your left and to your right and think about what they have that you don't....if you can get what they got do it...just be the best you can and you'll do great as a cop...good luck

Comment

You can do whatever floats your boat. Just keep in mind which one pays the bills.
                  The right combination of all three (Police/Fire/EMS) can be great. The wrong combination can be a disaster.

I've done all three. Someday I might write a book on the diffrence. Today is not that day. The buttons are blurry.
                  "Why is common sense so rare?" - Me

By the way.. They aren't "Clients" or "Customers" they're CRIMINALS... sheesh

Comment

As the title imples - I'm curious as to what some of you think about this. As I've made it known, I'm hoping for a career in LE, whether it be federal, state or local. I've also thought about joining one of the local VFD's (either here or where I hope to be located after school).

My question for you is: Do you think being a LEO and a volunteer firefigher at the same time will be too much? If not - has anyone (or is anyone) presently doing that?

Thanks!
                    I did it. Being a vollie and a cop really doesn't cause much schedule conflict. I was on a VFD during college, and I was on a VFD when I was a school teacher while also working part-time as a paramedic.

Comment

It shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't let the positions conflict with each other.

Comment

How does it not conflict with being in college, though? I'm sure all departments vary in this area, but I would be sure that all have a minimum call response requirement of some sort.

With my situation, I'm hoping to go to college in NYC, but the area I'll be living in and being a member of the VFD is 20 minutes into NJ.

Am I making a bigger deal out of this issue than I should?

Comment

How does it not conflict with being in college, though? I'm sure all departments vary in this area, but I would be sure that all have a minimum call response requirement of some sort.

With my situation, I'm hoping to go to college in NYC, but the area I'll be living in and being a member of the VFD is 20 minutes into NJ.

Am I making a bigger deal out of this issue than I should?
                          What it will come down to is setting priorities and managing your time. A balancing act in other words. If you can do that, great. If not, you'll soon find out. Good luck.

Comment

PhoenixCadet- Keep in mind you are in Ca., or at least that's what your current location is listed as. The responses are coming in from all over the country and as you know, we are not like the rest of the country. I'd suggest researching the question exactly where you plan to do it. Be prepared for responses a little different from what has been posted.

Comment

Yes, you are maker a bigger deal out of it than you should. You go to school in the day and you run a shift or two in the evenings or at night.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5793 users online. 341 members and 5452 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X