300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Police Academy

I am about to start my first semester of college and noticed that my local community college offers an academy program (http://www.palomar.edu/policeacademy/index.htm). Would this be a good thing to take to get the academy out of the way or would I have to go through the academy again if I got hired somewhere?

Thanks,
    Jameson

Depends on what kind of agency you want.

Many, many threads on this.
    If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

I tried searching but didn't get any relevant results.

Do you happen to have a link to any?

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post
        I am about to start my first semester of college and noticed that my local community college offers an academy program (http://www.palomar.edu/policeacademy/index.htm). Would this be a good thing to take to get the academy out of the way or would I have to go through the academy again if I got hired somewhere?

Thanks,
        Jameson
        Jameson, a couple of thoughts. First make certain that any Academy you attend is accredited through your state certification agency for LE Officers. In Calif that is CALPOST. What you're essentially talking about is self sponsorship. What that can end up amounting to is considerable expense and time invested by you, with no guarantee of employment at the end. Many agencies will require you to attend their own academies, regardless of any other academies you may have attended. CHP, LAPD, LASD, all come to mind.
        Before deciding to attend an academy on your own, I'd suggest you do some research into agencies which will put you through their academy. They'll also pay you while you're attending.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
          Jameson, a couple of thoughts. First make certain that any Academy you attend is accredited through your state certification agency for LE Officers. In Calif that is CALPOST. What you're essentially talking about is self sponsorship. What that can end up amounting to is considerable expense and time invested by you, with no guarantee of employment at the end. Many agencies will require you to attend their own academies, regardless of any other academies you may have attended. CHP, LAPD, LASD, all come to mind.
          Before deciding to attend an academy on your own, I'd suggest you do some research into agencies which will put you through their academy. They'll also pay you while you're attending.
          Thank you very much for your reply. I did not realize that there was certification by state. Thank you for pointing that out. Looks like I need to do a bit more research.

Comment

If you attend the academy now you also better plan on getting sworn in somewhere. In Ohio, if you are not sworn within one year of passing the state exam you have to take a refresher course. After three years you need to take the whole thing over. Some departments will send you to their own academy regardless of your status.

Comment

Palomar is state certified for CA POST, or was when I was last through that area.

Comment

Palomar is a POST certified extended academy. You will complete the academy with enough credits for an AA or very close to it I believe. There are a few agencies that will make you take "their" academy asmentioned (CHP,LAPD, SDSO), but all of the agencies in San Diego and many other areas with accept the academy. Here is the important thing to remember......you MUST be hired within three years or your POST academy certificate will expire. So if you do not get picked up in those three years you will have wasted a lot of time and money. Always try to get an agency to hire you and send you to the academy.......but if that doesnt work you can try Palomar.

Comment

Just completed community college police academy

I just completed the part time academy back in May. Part time format was very time consuming, 18 months! For the first year, it was two nights a week and every Saturday. Last 6 months it was two nights a week, every Saturday, and most Sundays (which has now changed to three nights a week, every Saturday and most Sundays).

Personnally, I don't know how you would be able to do any other studies while going to the academy.

Luckily, I have a very understanding wife who supported me. We started with 28. Three transferred in (from previous classes, and other academies). We graduated with 12. We had drops because of academics, Defensive tactics, report writting, and unable to juggle the class with the home life.

It is a large expense to self sponsor. Tuition, EVOC, uniforms, Books, Weapon, ammo, gun belt. In addition, each cadet threw in 2 dollars a week to cover the extra expense of paying for the guidon, gifts to the academy from the class, and meals during scenarios.

So far, from my graduating class, 4 are now working reserve, two are working jail, 3 are in different levels of background, and the other 3 are still searching for an agency.

Would I do it again. YES.

But I recommend the full time format, 22 weeks.

Comment

Thank you for the responses.

My plan is as follows:

1) Take Palomar academy which counts for almost all of my AA credits

2) Finish my AA

3) Apply to an agency as a reserve officer (preference being Oceanside Police Dept.)

4) Continue my studies for my BA/BS

Does this sound like a good plan?

Comment

Sorry, repost.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6815 users online. 353 members and 6462 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X