300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Felony drug charges?

I need to figure out what to do with this one...

Loser brother in law has left his wife of two months and two sons in VA while he has gone to OK with people he used to work with, as they have promised to give him a house etc...etc... if he works for them. He is a reformed meth head back in his home town now hanging out with all his "buddies". I have also heard his boss is into cocaine. His behavior has profoundly changed in the last month, and in a phone call stated he had to go get something for his bosses tooth ache and he had to do it because "the boss didn't know these people".

So, when does meth and coke become a felony that I have to report in OK?
    Transport? Selling of? Use? Distrbution?

If I only have hearsay evidence will I be taken seriously if I call it in?

Call it in. Thats the place to start. Assuming all is on the level, something will be done. It might only be something small such as "look for anything suspicious at this house", or "if you stop this guy keep your eyes open", passed on at rollcall. Its a start though.
    John 3:16

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I guess my question really is if purchase / possession of cocaine and or meth is an automatic felony and if distribution is also a felony. I know if I have knowledge of a felony it would be illegal if I did not report it, and I feel this kid might need some intervention (if I get solid information / evidence). As far as I understand it, cocaine is an automatic felony in any case. Does meth carry the same automatic felony in most cases. I know laws vary state by state. Oddly goggle is not helping with meth info and I have not paid for nexus lexus for years.

She is prepairing for a fault divorce with child custody.

Comment

I dont know how Oklahoma has their statutes written but I can maybe shed some light on it from a Maryland law perspective. Possession of a controlled dangerous substance (CDS, drugs etc). is a misdemeanor. It becomes a felony when you are distributing it, or manufacturing it, or conspire to distribute/manufacture it or have an intent to distrubute or manufacture it. Possession of cocaine or methamphetamine is no more a felony then possession of marijuana, its still only possession. IF your brother in law is brokering drug deals he could be charged with conspiracy to distribute CDS which would be a felony, even if he never once physically touched the drugs or the money.

Comment

Possession of a scheduled drug a misdeamenor? Thought it was mandated by the Feds to be a Felony for everything except weed. Learn something new everyday.
          Last edited by Monkeybomb; 07-29-2008, 10:09 PM.
          The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

In Illinois, any amount of a controlled substance, cocaine, heroin, meth etc.. is a felony. Simple possession is a class 4 and the level of felony gets more serious the more you have or if you are intending to deliver, deliver, or manufacture.

Comment

Well same for Missouri and I thought most of the country, anything but plain jane is a felony. The more there is can raise the severity of classification and increase the liklyhood that you get hit for distribution or intent to distribute and normaly unless alot of product is involved probation is given not incarceration. But that is here in Missouri. Try posting the same question in the OK state section, or call up the attorney generals office to find out how they charge in the state. Even if nothing comes of it, it never hurts to call the locals and given them a tip, I get them all of the time and I usually sit on the residence and dig for a few weeks to see if anything comes of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Not a cop View Post

Loser brother in law has left his wife of two months and two sons in VA while he has gone to OK with people he used to work with, as they have promised to give him a house etc...etc... if he works for them. He is a reformed meth head back in his home town now hanging out with all his "buddies". I have also heard his boss is into cocaine. His behavior has profoundly changed in the last month, and in a phone call stated he had to go get something for his bosses tooth ache and he had to do it because "the boss didn't know these people".

Since there is a good chance he will end up back in "VA" when you actually have some kind of idea where he really is you should know it's all a felony. Possesion and distribution. The only exception is marijuana is a class 1 misdemeanor unless the amount is .5 oz or greater. As for special attention and or having to report him to L.E. you are not required or responsible but yes it is third party information that is good to know but will not be seriously followed up on. We get long distance calls all the time from "concerned" family members usually it all stems from some type of child custody issue versus true "concern" so they are taken with a grain of sand and handled the same way.
                "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Monkeybomb View Post
                  Possession of a scheduled drug a misdeamenor? Thought it was mandated by the Feds to be a Felony for everything except weed. Learn something new everyday.
                  Unfortunately here in MD that isn't the case. Little bit of crack in single baggie is misdemeanor...that same crack in seperate baggies falls under distribution and that becomes felony. I am using that as an example because amounts of CDS, etc can make a difference.

To the OP, I would agree with Nightshift. Many of the out of state complaints we get stem from either child custody or family members attempting to getting even for a bitter breakup and not a true concern for the welfare of the person and they are taken as such. In your post you are asking about reporting a felony to the OK authorities. You never mention any sort of treatment or resources that could help bring his family back together...its a matter of trying to get him into trouble.

For this reason, you may run into a roadblock with any authorities you speak with because the police should not be used as a tool for family members to get even with each other.

Comment

I agree with the conflict of interest some of you has expressed concern over and this does concern a family member that I have never met, but get calls all the time about because I'm a PI. I live in La so there is not much I can do for them from here. He has become abusive to his family and I need to prepare them for intervention as well as a fault based divorce.

Comment

Possession and/or sales is a felony here in CA....

I'm more than a bit curious about the part of it being a crime for YOU to not report it.......unless there is something else in the mix, private citizens have ZERO legal obligation to report anything......
                      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

In Louisiana it is a felony not to report knowlage of a felony. I don't think it is enforced much and almost no one knows about. Normally this is something I would investigate for a client. If I saw something go down I'd report it and get a case number and put it all in my report to the lawyer. They can't afford to hire PI's and I can't afford to work it for them.

Comment

In Louisiana it is a felony not to report knowlage of a felony. I don't think it is enforced much and almost no one knows about. Normally this is something I would investigate for a client. If I saw something go down I'd report it and get a case number and put it all in my report to the lawyer. They can't afford to hire PI's and I can't afford to work it for them.
                          The first time they really try to hang someone on it will be the last....this isnt Stalinst Russia or 1930s Germany......
                          The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

OK is a neighboring state, poss / dist / manufacture of cocaine or methamphetamine is a felony. If its a metropolitan area and you know the name of the county, start by asking for that counties drug task force public number or in the case of large city to be connected with a narcotics unit. Most units will take confidential information and follow up. Good Luck

Comment

I guess my question really is if purchase / possession of cocaine and or meth is an automatic felony and if distribution is also a felony. I know if I have knowledge of a felony it would be illegal if I did not report it, and I feel this kid might need some intervention (if I get solid information / evidence). As far as I understand it, cocaine is an automatic felony in any case. Does meth carry the same automatic felony in most cases. I know laws vary state by state. Oddly goggle is not helping with meth info and I have not paid for nexus lexus for years.

She is prepairing for a fault divorce with child custody.
                              Most states have their penal codes and drug laws posted online now as a matter of public information. Just search Oklahoma penal code and you should find appropriate links to all their state statutes. Same for most any other state

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4643 users online. 271 members and 4372 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X