Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was it like to accept your badge?

I have a badge but no where near as earned as some folks here. I just want to ask a simple question before I receive my real earned badge soon. What was that moment like when you received you badge? When it was first thought as it was pinned on your chest, what were the feelings and the thoughts going through your head as you receieved it?

Thanks for any replys.

It was one of the best feelings that I ever had, the only thing that tops it was the birth of my kids, and when I got married……….although like the excitement in the marriage it quickly faded. Just kidding …seriously it was an intense sense of pride joy and accomplishment.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

I was issued my badge only 11 weeks into the police academy. I felt like I hadn't earned it yet, which of course I hadn't. However, I'd wanted to be a police officer for my entire life so it felt long overdue as far as personal acheivement.

At my graduation from the police academy our class had our badges pinned on again by a family member, friend etc. That time it felt like I'd earned it, it bore the meaning of a department rich in history and I was deeply honored to wear it.

Comment

We had our pinned on by a person of our choosing, along with the department big wigs, at the graduation ceremony. It was awesome to see my wife come up in front of everyone and not stab me with the pin. You know, not that it happened to others...

Relief that the academy was over and I could move on, pride to be in the uniform, a sense that I finally became an LEO, that sort of thing.

It does become routine really quickly, though.
        I miss you, Dave.
        http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Being a cop is something i always wanted to do.

When i got my badge it was just another accomplishment and time to move on the the next. But it felt damn good to get it finally.

Comment

We were also handed our shields at the academy, but not until I was sworn in with my fellow brothers & sisters is when the hairs on my arms stood up and a small tear dropped from my eye,
            Then a hole lot of us got drunk that night!!!!
            Take care and stay safe!
            Ralph8119
            A Little Something Else For Those 60's & 70's Music Lovers On Line!
            sigpic
            http://www.myfreenetradio.com/listen70s.asx

A Cool Website On History In Photos Of The New York City Police Department!
            http://www.policeny.com/home.html

Policelink!
            http://policelink.monster.com/member/Ralph8119

Inside The New York City Police Academy!
            http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/pr/videos.shtml

Comment

Ralph

I've seen videos of graduation at Madison Square Gardens. What an awesome feeling.

For me:
              My aunt (officer for 35 yrs in Denver) pinned my badge on. She was my inspiration when I was a youngster. Turned out our badge numbers were the same! What an honor.
              This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

got my badge in civilian clothes in a conference room in the police dept after being sworn in by a detective thats a notary public. nothing special on my end.

Comment

The second my badge touched my hand, All I thought about was getting out of the ceremony, to the Airport, and on a plane...

I was sick of FLETC.

M-11
                  “All men dream...... But not equally..
                  Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                  but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                  for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

you ever seen Highlander? you know when he beheads another immortal how the electricity crackles in the air all around him, completely through him, and causes him to convulse, but become more powerful.

that's EXACTLY what happened, when they laid it in my hand

Comment

Originally posted by injunwil View Post
                      you ever seen Highlander? you know when he beheads another immortal how the electricity crackles in the air all around him, completely through him, and causes him to convulse, but become more powerful.

that's EXACTLY what happened, when they laid it in my hand
                      They chopped your head off???

It was over 28 years ago and I distinctly remember the awesome feeling of having my first badge. We were sworn in by the Circuit Court Clerk then sent home the Friday (or was it Thursday?) before going to the academy the following week. I remember driving home with the badge & case sitting next to me on the passenger seat. Every 10-15 seconds, I'd pick it up and marvel at it. I'm surprised I didn't wreck the car! I was a couple months shy of 22 years old at the time and thought it was the neatest thing since sliced bacon!
                      sigpic
                      Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
                      And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

Originally posted by bauerrules View Post
                        I have a badge but no where near as earned as some folks here. I just want to ask a simple question before I receive my real earned badge soon. What was that moment like when you received you badge? When it was first thought as it was pinned on your chest, what were the feelings and the thoughts going through your head as you receieved it?

Thanks for any replys.
                        My situation was as follows at the police department. On the second day of my employment (prior to going to the academy) I was standing in the patrol commander's office receiving a box full of assorted police stuff (belt gear, gun, some uniform pieces) when he said, "Now, go in the chief's office for the rest of your crap." I then went in, and he handed me the ID card and badge with, "See, as easy as it was to hand it to you - that's how easy I can take it away." That was the glory behind receiving my badge. It wasn't pinned on. In fact, I was wearing street clothes. However, I had thought ahead and ordered a shield shaped, clip-on badge holder which I had stowed in my pocket so I had somewhere to put it at least.

When I was with the sheriff's office, prior to the police department, I was standing in a lieutenant's office and said, "Um, am I supposed to get a badge or something?" I had already gotten uniforms and such. He replied, "Oh, yeah, I think I got one in here somewhere." He then rummaged around in the lap drawer of his desk and produced a badge and pair of collar brass with a kind, "Here you go." It took two months to get a key to the building, and I still never got an ID card.

Now, with my current job, they made more of a pomp and circumstance out of it. I was wearing a uniform, and I actually had to sign a receipt saying I received the badge which I had just pinned on myself to the secretary's "Here, put this on," another shirt badge just like it, a hat badge, and my ID card. I then was sworn in, and after which time I received a handshake and a nice looking "certificate" signed by the director to go with it. I've never seen an agency that gave these out. It's not my standards commissioning certificate or an oath of office. It looks kind of like a college diploma, and it's a strictly in-house document.

I've never had the fancy, tv experiences.

Comment

I remember the chief standing there on stage handing me my badge saying "I think you'll need this."

It was an awesome feeling.
                          The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                          that we are all that stands between
                          the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

We were issued our badges along with a bunch of other stuff. It was just routine, just part of our two days of pre-academy orientation. After being sworn in, the sheriff warned us to never lie, that he had just fired a deputy for lying, and sat down and returned to paperwork.
                            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

I was issued my badge with the rest of my gear, but the feeling I got when I earned it, man that was awesome. It is right up there with the day my daughter was born, my wedding day, and the first time my Senior Drill Instructor called me a Marine. Definately a big deal for me.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6327 users online. 359 members and 5968 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X