Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You probably get this question a lot...

but I want to know, Is the show "COPS" an accurate representation of what being a police officer is like?

NO
    It takes a week or so of 8hr ride-alongs to get enough exciting stuff to air a 30 minute episode, actually the 8 minute stuff, yeah 4-5 days of work.

If it was a real life replicaation of police work it would show guys sitting at the stop-n-rob for 20 minutes chatting it up with the girls that work there{Ok some of the guys are ok too} drinking horrid coffee, then getting an actual call or 2. Eventually it would be diiner break time and most of the time that is interrupted by a nuisance call of no police issue at all.
    Eventually it would be minute after minute of boring paperwork, most of which is done on the road in the car.
    Not very exciting huh?
    Oh and throw in some bathroom breaks too, especially on morning shift
    I got nothing for now

Comment

Plain and simple.........NO!
      This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

You probably get this question a lot..
        nope first time
        It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

Depends where you work, a lot of cities in New Zealand are short staffed and you are constantly being called from job to job and out of a job to a higher priority job etc. I guess it just depends where you work and how much crime / activity is in your area per number of cops..

Comment

Nah...they don't air the good stuff. If you have ever seen the Simpson's "Stonecutter episode", it's more like that.

Comment

I call it "Lops" after seeing some of the stellar officer safety and outstanding investigative work they so often show (hint - advising a suspect of Miranda while tightening the cuffs and shoving him toward the car probably will not result in a valid waiver). One of the worst examples of officer safety was pretty much everything Corporal Hot Dog from New Jersey did.

"Cops" usually has some pretty good material for roll call discussion regarding tactics, but isn't even close to showing what a shift is really like.
              Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

wow, you guys make the real job sound so boring :-(

Comment

Originally posted by lionheartednyhc View Post
                  wow, you guys make the real job sound so boring :-(
                  It pretty much is.
                  It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

Well, I'll be odd man out.

Yes, it is for WHAT it is. Its real footage showing real cops doing real stuff. Its just heavily edited. Imagine watching a baseball game but only the highlight reel. You're missing hours of non-highlights, balls thrown, singles that result in stranded runners at the end of the inning, etc.

Same with Cops, you're seeing something that really happens, chases, vehicle pursuits, dope hidden in interesting places, but you're not seeing the hours of paperwork, the countless traffic stops that are JUST traffic stops, the sitting for hours waiting for someone to move, the stolen dog and lost wallet reports, the accidental 911 calls, the bogus alarm runs, the routine traffic crashes, the shoplifting arrest, etc. etc. etc. that is all a necessary part of the job but doesn't make the highlight reel.
                    I miss you, Dave.
                    http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

No.

I was told in the academy don't do anything you see on Cops.
                      The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                      that we are all that stands between
                      the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jchughes05 View Post
                        No.

I was told in the academy don't do anything you see on Cops.
                        How many times have you done something you were told not to do while in the academy? We all do stupid stuff, goof up, or take shortcuts occasionally, there just isn't someone there with a camera to critique us afterwards.
                        I miss you, Dave.
                        http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Its just the highlights of the job.

Comment

Matter of factly, I pretty much re-learned the job when I got out on the road.

I've done several things that they told me not to in the academy.
                            The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                            that we are all that stands between
                            the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

As the good old saying goes: This job is 6 hours of complete and total boredom, 3 minutes of sheer terror and excitement and another 8 hours of paperwork.
                              "You are charging me with a third DUI? What are they going to do to me? Send me to jail and take away my cocktail fruit?"

Remember: a coffin is much hotter than your vest!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5370 users online. 308 members and 5062 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X