300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do?

Ok, I am VERY stressed out right now and I need some advice if anybody has any for me.

My neighbors have been very bothersome. They have been going into my backyard, WITHOUT permission, and god knows what they are doing. Out dog is back there so I don't know if they've been messing around with our dog. I have caught the guy go in my yard once (he doesn't know I saw him, I didn't say anything because I didn't want to yell at them from my house in front of my stepson). We have a fence that separates our backyard property from his property. His driveway is right next to our fence. The fence is on OUR property, NOT HIS. and there is a gate there (I don't know why) but there is a gate there and he opens it and just walks into our yard. Then I caught the grandchildren in the yard, WITHOUT permission. But they actually walked around the house, through my driveway, and let themselves on in through the main gate. My husband's stupid ex wife (which I am still having a problem with if anybody read my last question on here) was there too when it happened and she yelled at them for it. There was also 1 or other times where stupid ex wife caught the grandchildren in our yard. You would think if they are told get get out of our yard they would stop. So the last time it happened, last Friday, I took a padlock that we had and locked the side gate so they would get the hint, DO NOT GO IN MY YARD. I mean come on, it's NOT their property, they have NEVER asked permission to go in our yard, therefore I consider that TRESPASSING. And guess what? I get home today from my chiropractor appointment and the padlock is on my deck in the back. The STUPID neighbor took a tool and CUT the lock and went through my yard and put it on my deck. WHAT????? I am SOOOOOOOOOO MAD right now. For one, again the fence is on MY property, therefore, they were tresspassing again, and they broke my padlock, MY PROPERTY, therefore I consider that VANDALISM OF MY PROPERTY. And isn't that a CRIME? When I was turning the corner down the street to go into my neighborhood (when coming home from my appointment), a police van was driving down the road. So GREAT! What if they were called over here while I was at my appointment? Just what I need is police interaction like this when I'm wanting to go into that field for my career. But there should have been a notice on my door shoudn't there have? But there wasn't so I don't know if the police were called. But guess what? If my stupid neighbor would have ASKED before ANY time they wanted to go in my yard, I would have NO PROBLEM with that. It's the fact they they have NEVER ASKED to do it, then they go and VANDALIZE my property. So now I don't know if I should make a report with police since they vandalized MY property. But I'm worried if I try, they will say "did you see them do this?" and guess what? No I didn't see them do it, I wasn't home, but who else would have done that to the lock? The gate the lock was put on separates our properties. Who would go into my yard or their driveway and break that padlock besides them (my neighbors?) Nobody in my house did it, because they would have asked me for the code to the lock to take it off, and nobody else from my house was home anyways. If the stupid neighbor would have WAITED UNTIL I GOT HOME from my appointment and came over and talked to me about it, then I'm sure there would be no problem, and I would have taken the lock off.

So now I don't know what to do. Do I call the police and make a report about it? Even though I can't prove the neighbors are the ones who broke it? Should I just let it go? Should I get some kind of thing from the court saying they can't go in my yard? The only reason I know they have gone in there, is because I saw the guy do it once, and saw the grandchildren go in there, and there were other times where I went back ther to feed and water my dog and his bowls were moved around to the other side of the yard where I have never put them before. PLus the dumb ex wife saw the grandchildren do it a couple times too so I'm not the only person who has witnessed them going into our yard. I mean, again I would have no preoblem with them going into my yard, as long as they ASKED PERMISSION and gave a reason why they want to go back there. I mean I don't go in they yard and move their dog's bowls around. I take great care of my dog, he always has food and water and toys so I don't know if the dogs the reason they go in there or what. And what he did to my padlock, isn't that a crime? I mean I know it's just a cheap little thing, but it's still my property and they still broke it. Does anybody have any advice?

Thank you for any responses.
    For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life.

– John 3:16

You are stressed as "The Neverending Story" manner with which you wrote all this indicates. I couldn't get through it all. Tolstoy would be proud.

Yes, your neighbor (or whomever is coming into your yard) is trespassing.

Yes, you neighbor (or whomever cut the lock) destroyed private property.

Yes, you can and probably should notify the local police and file a report.

You should also consider posting "No Trespassing" signs on your property. Have you discussed this matter with the neighbors? You may have mentioned you did somewhere in that dissertation but....open communication may be a good avenue to staighten things out. Keep it civil. If things can't remain civil, invest in a CCTV system to monitor your property. Have the neighbor served with a "No Trespassing" letter or notice by a disinterested third party (preferably the Sheriff). This, coupled with signage, will legally advise them not to enter your property without permission. Any further violations will be easier to prosecute.

Buy better padlocks. Good luck.
    sigpic
    Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
    And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

Have a talk with your neighbor..if it continues then call the cops but it isn't a really high priority so be patient...
      This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by KapsFB View Post
        You are stressed as "The Neverending Story" manner with which you wrote all this indicates. I couldn't get through it all. Tolstoy would be proud.

Yes, your neighbor (or whomever is coming into your yard) is trespassing.

Yes, you neighbor (or whomever cut the lock) destroyed private property.

Yes, you can and probably should notify the local police and file a report.

You should also consider posting "No Trespassing" signs on your property. Have you discussed this matter with the neighbors? You may have mentioned you did somewhere in that dissertation but....open communication may be a good avenue to staighten things out. Keep it civil. If things can't remain civil, invest in a CCTV system to monitor your property. Have the neighbor served with a "No Trespassing" letter or notice by a disinterested third party (preferably the Sheriff). This, coupled with signage, will legally advise them not to enter your property without permission. Any further violations will be easier to prosecute.

Buy better padlocks. Good luck.
        KapsFB on point !

Comment

Thank you all so much! I really needed to hear something like that. I will give the non emergency number a call to report it. The lock might have their fingerprints on it to prove that they are the ones who cut it, but my stepson and I touched it to bring it in the house so they could be a problem in evidence. I didn't think about that until right now. I haven't personally talked to them about it before, but as I said, the ex wife DID verbally tell the grandchildren to get out of our yard on more than one occasion, and I was there during one of those times. They are not home right now, I watched them leave so can't talk to them now. But in the meantime I will call the non emergency number and notify them.

I will let everyone know what happens. Again thank you so much.
          For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life.

Comment

Originally posted by RBryant View Post
            Thank you all so much! I really needed to hear something like that. I will give the non emergency number a call to report it. The lock might have their fingerprints on it to prove that they are the ones who cut it, but my stepson and I touched it to bring it in the house so they could be a problem in evidence. I didn't think about that until right now. I haven't personally talked to them about it before, but as I said, the ex wife DID verbally tell the grandchildren to get out of our yard on more than one occasion, and I was there during one of those times. They are not home right now, I watched them leave so can't talk to them now. But in the meantime I will call the non emergency number and notify them.

I will let everyone know what happens. Again thank you so much.
            They are not going to take fingerprints for that anyway.......but in the future, dont touch the evidence.....
            The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

We usually try to fingerprint door handles, windows, anything glass or "slick"... I'm not sure if you could get a good print off of a lock.
              The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
              that we are all that stands between
              the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Chalk it up to watching one too many episodes of CSI
                This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

I called the non emergency number for the police and the Officer already came and took the report. The officer was really nice about it. He agreed that the neighbor should not be on my property because it is trespassing, and that my propeprty (lock) was damaged. He asked me if I wanted to press the issue about the lock so the neighbor would have to buy a new one for us, and I told him since it was such a cheap padlock I would press the issue, I just want him to stop coming onto my property. He also looking at the fence and I told him it is on my property since it is on the grass in my yard. Well he said that maybe the neighbor did what he did because he might of thought that the fence was on his property. So he suggested if I wanted to press that issue of who's property the fence is on, to have a property person come and checdk it out for us just to make sure and be on the safe side. He went over to talk to the neighbors but they were not home. The main thing is, I just don't want them on my property, that's all. They have no reason to be on my property so they shouldn't be on it. The officer wrote down his name and badge number and another number which I thinkis the case number, and said to call him if anything else happens. He didn't say if he was going to come back and try later to talk to the neighbors but I'm sure it will be taken care of now.

Again I just want to thank everyone who replied. I feel a WHOLE lot better now, and now there's so much stress that has been lifted off me and the baby I'm carrying so I'm not worried about it anymore.

Comment

LA DEP - I told the officer about that and he said don't worry they wouldn't look at the lock for fingerprints, lol. But now I know and I will be more careful!

Deputy - How'd you know I watch CSI? Are you following me? Just kidding, I actually watch Law and Order more than CSI, I think I've only watched 1 episode of CSI. But, when I'm at work on Sundays, they have Law and Order marathons on, so I watch it all day at work (I'm a switchboard operator so there's lots of time to watch the TV, surf the Internet and do my homework, lol!).

Comment

Originally posted by katseiye View Post
                      KapsFB on point !
                      I am???

First time for everything!!
                      sigpic
                      Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
                      And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

Originally posted by RBryant View Post
                        If the stupid neighbor would have WAITED UNTIL I GOT HOME from my appointment and came over and talked to me about it, then I'm sure there would be no problem, and I would have taken the lock off.

If it's your fence on your property, why would you have taken it off if the neighbor had talked to you? Why wouldn't there have been a problem since there is already a problem, right?
                        sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76 View Post
                          If it's your fence on your property, why would you have taken it off if the neighbor had talked to you? Why wouldn't there have been a problem since there is already a problem, right?
                          Seems to be a whole lot of drama and convoluted logic here. To the OP. I can readily sympathize with your problem. Some very practical solutions have been suggested, and you seem to have followed up on them to a degree. The signage and a better lock will probably be your best deterents in the long run, CSI and Law and Order notwithstanding.

Comment

Smurfette - Well if he talked to me about it, and had an explanation for it that was understandable then I would have no problem taking the lock off (such as if there was something wrong with the dog or something and he needed immediate attention).

Here's an update: I actually just got off the phone with the officer who came over yesterday and he said he just spoke with my neighbor about it and he said my neighbor thinks the fence is his property. He said we could have a property person come over and verify it to be on the safe side if we wanted to. He said that the neighbor said he went into our yard because the dog's chain was tangled and he didn't think anyone was home.

Well my concern is, why assume someone is not home? Go to the door first and find out then if nobody is home I see no problem with him untangling the chain, then leaving a note saying he went into our yard for that reason, or coming over when somebody is home and telling us what happened.

And another thing, the one time where I WAS home and watching him go through the gate into our yard then go back to his home. I'm not sure what he was doing because I was watching from an angle in my kitchen to where my hot tub outside was kind of in the way, but I could still see that he was in our yard. And with his grandchildren going into our yard when we were clearly home and we verbally told them to get out of our yard. If they would just look to see if any cars are at our home, then that means we are home. Plus, I only work on weekends and mondays 4pm-midnight. I am home all day long during the week unless I have an appointment or am grocery shopping. I am home the majority of the time, and when I'm working, my husband is home.

I guess bottom line is that the officer told him do not go into our yard at all for any reason and the neighbor said he wouldn't so hopefully he won't anymore. Since he thinks the fence is his property, even though it sits in our yard, I am scared to put another lock on it in case he will break more of my property....So hopefully having the officer deal with him he is aware that what he did is wrong and won't do it again.
                            Last edited by RBryant; 07-29-2008, 12:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Get a survey of the property. That way you know who's property its on. I see more neighbors fighting over 3 inches of ground and usually it gets ugly.
                              The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4434 users online. 303 members and 4131 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X