300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uniform Policy

I am in the process of working out a new uniform policy, and am looking for input as to how the rest of the world does things, so if you have a second or two can you give a brother a hand?

On average how much do you spend on your uniform?
    Does the Dept give you a uniform allowance?
    Does it cover enough or is it just enough to buy a whole bunch of nothing?
    On average how often do you replace uniform items?
    Is your dept a stickler for how things look or do they give lee way?
    Or, are you the stickler, and often replace items even though it is with in regulation, because you do not like the way it looks?
    Who makes the uniform decisions?
    And last, if you get gigged on your uniform what is the penalty?
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Dept provides duty gear and an $800 vest reimbursement every 5 years
    Uniform allowance is 1200 a year
    Standard police uniform of blue shirt and blue pants. Flying cross
    There is a uniform policy but no daily 'inspections' or 'formations'
    The only thing I replace are shirts when the vest wears holes through it, and new boots every year or two.
    I guess the primary infraction penalty would be embarassment in front of your co-workers... maybe written in your evaluation notes if it's a continued problem - I have no idea.

Comment

My current department issues everything except the dicky (mock turtleneck), but my last department we had to buy everything. Shirts ranged from $35up depending on zipper or button, pants were about $80. I was lucky enough to buy forum a member (Redders) uniforms from him when he left the department. That saved me a few hundred bucks.

Does the Dept give you a uniform allowance? My current department only to investigators. My last department it was $80. a month.

Does it cover enough or is it just enough to buy a whole bunch of nothing? At the time since I owned my own uniforms it helped out a lot as like an extra check for the month.

On average how often do you replace uniform items? Every two to three years I would say. I have had my others for three years now and they are just starting to show wear, I just wash them at home. My current ones I have had for seven months and I get them dry cleaned. It seem that the dry cleaned ones show wear more than being washed at home, that's just what I noticed.

Is your dept a stickler for how things look or do they give lee way? My last department would just give you crap if something wasn't right. My current department is very stickler about how they want everything from your hair down to your boots, but they want you to only see the quartermaster on your time not theirs.

Who makes the uniform decisions? My last department they let all of us deputies make up the uniform decisions at our monthly meetings. My current department the upper command staff make up the uniform requirements and such as everything else we get the notice of the change when we get the nasty email.

And last, if you get gigged on your uniform what is the penalty? My last department like I said they would just give us crap about it and you fixed it. My current department the first time is a verbal warning get it fixed, second time an official verbal warning, third written warning, and anything after you get written up.

I almost forgot about the vest. My current department issues one every few years. My last department it was a get it on your own which we used the We Care Foundation.
      Last edited by nebraska_deputy; 07-26-2008, 09:43 PM.
      Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Comment

The department issues a complete uniform to new hires. Thereafter we get a $600/year uniform allowance. It will go to $700 in 2009. Vests are paid for by the city. I get about a year out of a 5.11 uniform so the allowance is adequate. Uniforms are looking better since we switched to the uniform allowance a few years ago. Maybe we're more likely to replace things now that we don't grovel before the captain.
        Uniform decisions are made by the admin. I recall a guy getting sent back to the locker room to change his attire but he really had to work at it.

Comment

Originally posted by DACP View Post
          I am in the process of working out a new uniform policy, and am looking for input as to how the rest of the world does things, so if you have a second or two can you give a brother a hand?

On average how much do you spend on your uniform? Supplied by dept.
          Does the Dept give you a uniform allowance? No
          Does it cover enough or is it just enough to buy a whole bunch of nothing? N/A
          On average how often do you replace uniform items? N/A
          Is your dept a stickler for how things look or do they give lee way? If something isn't correct someone in the dept will notice and tell you about it..
          Or, are you the stickler, and often replace items even though it is with in regulation, because you do not like the way it looks?
          Who makes the uniform decisions? Chief
          And last, if you get gigged on your uniform what is the penalty? verbal

Comment

Usually $1,000 a year....give or take.
            $1,200 a year. PD buys first 2 uniforms minus boots, all equipment, and new vest every 5 years.
            Its been enough so far but I've noticed the price of everything is going up.
            Once a year or as needed.
            We just got a new Chief so we'll see.
            Not as long as it looks good and works.
            We have a uniform committee that takes suggestions from officers and they make their recommendations but the ultimate decision is made by the Chief.
            If its an ongoing issue that hasn't been corrected it could result in a letter and a write up on a yearly evaluation. I haven't heard of one in a long time.
            "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass -- and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Comment

My small town gives us 300 bucks a year and no its not enough.I spend a few hundred more than that in any given year. We have to provide our own firearms to. Other than the gun the pd purchases everything right out of the gate for us 2 long 2 short 2 pants, belt, vest and gear. We have french blue shirts and dark blue pants that way you cannot tell if something is faded unlike if you wore dark blue shirt and pants either your pants or shirt would be darker at some point in time. The Chief makes the decisions and We dont get gigged its not that big of a dept. We know how to look in our town
              The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

we have a quartermaster system. you're given 6 long, 6 short, and 6 pairs of pants, vest, gun, and all equipmet. the only thing not provided are boots and we're given a $50 allowance per year on that. it works out well b/c if you tear a shirt you just go to HQ and get a new one the following day.
                Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Our department gives us these once a year,

4 full uniforms
                  1 Class B uniform (if needed)
                  1 pair of boots
                  4 UnderArmour shirts

A new vest every 5 years.

We have ONE long sleeve uniform that is very rarely worn. I only wear mine for funerals, promotions, etc.
                  Geaux Tigers

Comment

Initial issue is covered by the department

My department is smaller but we still get an allowance totaling 500 each year

Depends on what you need to buy. With rising costs, this amount could come down to a bunch of nothing unless it changes

I have not had to replace anything major yet, but I still found plenty of use out of my allowance to upgrade some of my gear.

No formal inspection daily, but we do have a policy and very specific brands of tops/pants/etc that must be worn by all officers.

Nah, I can pretty much deal with what the department has set fourth.

Sgt makes recommendations to Cpt/Chief

Depends, most likely verbal for first time, written for second and who knows what could happen next - normally ends up saying something along the lines of, "additional consequences up to or including termination".
                    The above comments reflect the personal, off-the-record, unofficial opinions of the individual posting them only, and in no way, shape, or form should be taken to indicate any particular opinion, policy, or belief by the poster's or any other agency, governmental entity, organization, or corporation. Thank you and have a nice day.

Comment

$55 for pants, $45-55 per shirt, $90 for a pair of boots

$600 each year I'm not sure what they get in the academy, but it covers most of the price for leather and uniforms. We supply vests and guns.

Depends on what you need to buy. If you have to replace leather gear it may not cover it. It also depends on how many pants or shirts are ruined. We replace these with those funds.
                      Depends on wear and if i ruin some. i usually have to buy a couple uniforms a year to make up for torn shirts and pants and at least a set of boots each year.

We have a policy and very specific brands of tops/pants/etc that must be worn by all officers.

Uniform commitee makes recomendations and the brass approves it.

Verbal for first time, written for second and never seen anyone get past that.
                      The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Shirts are $40-$50, pants are $80-$90, boots are around $50 (I bought a really nice pair of Danner's and now I just pay to repair them).

Initial uniform issue of 3 long sleeve, 3 short sleeve, 3 pairs of 6 pocket pants, 2 jackets, nameplates + collar brass. Vest every 5 years. No duty belt issued, new employees have to purchase it themselves. No boots issued.

$400 yearly after that.

It's not nearly enough to keep up your gear, I usually spend around twice my allowance.

With replacing the ripped or stained uniforms, buying new heat gear shirts, new turtlenecks for winter, replacing worn leather items, boot repairs, plus purchasing replacements for damaged items like flashlights, I'm usually spending around $1000 yearly to keep my uniform appearance up.

My current department isn't too picky about the uniform policy. I think the only time I've seen coworkers in trouble over it was when they violated the grooming standards (too long of hair, not shaven, visable tattoos, etc).

I always keep my items within regulations, as they are actually pretty particular as to what is acceptable and not. I think that if you followed all of our regs to the letter there would no way for your uniform to not look good.

Color and style are made by management. Uniform allowance is handled during contract barganing.

Sent home to clean up, given a letter in your file, expect to have it brought up during your evaluation. I've never seen anyone get time off because of the policy, but it could happen if people didn't get it line like they usually do.
                        Wis Statute 947.01: Disorderly Conduct - Whoever, in a public or private place, engages in behavior that is violent, abusive, indecent, profane, boisterous, unreasonably loud, or otherwise acts like a ****ing idiot, is guilty of a Class B misdemeanor.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses so far, much appreciated.
                          It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6361 users online. 375 members and 5986 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X