300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaving the scene of a DUI

I am awoken from a deep sleep to a truck flipped in my yard. I live in the middle of nowhere. My uncle was first on scene (he lives here too) and as I came out I was immeadietly hugged by the young DUI driver, offering several hundred dollars for a ride home (he was on probation). My uncle and another passerby try to keep him sitting but a car full of his friends drives by and he jumps in and takes off.

A few minutes later we hear his phone ringing from inside the truck. I call central dispatch and advise them he left the scene and gave the description of the vehicle. About 10 minutes later we see a car travelling down a very rarely travelled dirt road (especially 2am in the middle of state land) and see it turn down an even lonlier dead end dirt road, with a large SUV squeeling tires after it. About another HOUR later the large SUV which was the state police pulls up, surveys they scene, waits for a wrecker and then leaves. Whatever car they had stopped was not involved.

My question, what will happen to the driver? The police ran his plate I guess, but didn't call his parents or anything, just collected the beer cans and left. Do they send someone to his house to wake his parents up looking for him? How is this handled?

What are the consequences for leaving the scene of a DUI, can they still prove he was drunk at the time with just the beer cans there?
    Last edited by michiganDT; 07-26-2008, 03:53 AM.

There isn't a charge for leaving the scene of a DUI but he could probably be charged for leaving the scene of an accident if there was damage to your property. Someone probably swung by his place.

Comment

Providing that I talked to you, and all else as in the original posts, I would never "call" anyone to warn them of anything. I would be looking for the vehicle as would my compadres, be they local or state. If I could locate the driver, if he still had "any" alcohol in his system ... I'ld be charging him with DUI, Reckless Driving, Hit & Run (felony if $1000 or more attended property damage or if any injury), probably Violation of Restrictions, and anything else I could pin on him (like slick tires, dead inspection, registration exp, exhaust with no mufflers, etc as the case may be ????).

It looks like he absorbed a lot of police resorces and probably caused some officers to extend shifts, miss a party with the wife maybe, miss seeing their kids before they went to sleep, and the little turd took grave chances with the safety of every other user of the roadways.

No mercy on my part ...... mercy is for the court to consider.

Yeah, I'ld need to subpeona you and maybe others to court.
      "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

No such thing as 'leaving the scene of a DUI' here in CA......he could be charged with leaving the scene of an accident BUT that would have to involve you as well.......there pretty much has to be another 'victim' of property damage (such as your yard, fence ect) for the DA to even consider filing a hit and run.......
        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

In Queensland, at a minimum, the driver would be looking at being charged with failing to remain at the site and failing to exchange particulars with the other involved party (the owner of the fence).

We are also required to administer a roadside breath test on any involved drivers and as such, we have 2 hours to locate the driver and give him a requirement for a roadside breath test. So that could be an additional charge.
          If at first you don't succeed, remove all evidence of your attempt.

Comment

I would've thrown the phone away......

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Have had several like this. Vehicle is usually impounded, which unless totaled usually gets a response from someone. Cell phone goes into property for CID follow up. Have even had Jr try to report mom and dad's ride stolen but beat him to the mark by notifying r/o before he could make report. D.A. here wont take DUI unless witness can put driver behind wheel and a BAC sample is given. Otherwise it goes down as leaving the scene.

Comment

Originally posted by t150vsuptpr View Post
                I'ld be charging him with DUI, Reckless Driving, Hit & Run (felony if $1000 or more attended property damage or if any injury), probably Violation of Restrictions, and anything else I could pin on him (like slick tires, dead inspection, registration exp, exhaust with no mufflers, etc as the case may be ????).

Leaving main portion of the roadway, crossing center line (lane violation), I usually ink F the heck out of people that do that stuff. In this situation, he'd have to admit he were the driver or you'd have to ID him since you were a witness. Of those two, I'd still stick him w/ a bunch of paper. Paper for me, paper for you!

Comment

Originally posted by BPD 126
                  Leaving main portion of the roadway, crossing center line (lane violation), I usually ink F the heck out of people that do that stuff. In this situation, he'd have to admit he were the driver or you'd have to ID him since you were a witness. Of those two, I'd still stick him w/ a bunch of paper. Paper for me, paper for you!
                  That's what I'm talkin'bout!

All us "God's cilluns" get's some paper outa tha deal.
                  "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3519 users online. 200 members and 3319 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X