Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrying firearms on planes?

Who has the authority to?

I met an older lady who was a prosecutor, she was showing off and telling everyone that she carries a firearm with her on a plane because she is allowed to. My "don't believe everything you hear" instincts kicked in and I don't believe her.

Is this true, if it is, what type of law enforcement is this sort of privilege extended to, and is it extended to lawyers like her as well?

I call B.S. on the prosecutor...she's not any type of Law Enforcement Officer and has no rights to carry a weapon on a plane

Comment

That's what I was thinking too. I bet everything she said was BS too, even the fact that she was a prosecutor for the thirty plus years.

I was actually beginning to get a little worried there if it was true. Thanks for the clarification on that HotSoup.

Comment

Was she a prosecutor, or an investigator with the prosecutor's office? Oh and you need a federal license to carry on a plane. I believe anyone sworn in the US is "allowed" to get the license, but it's not easy to get.

Comment

You sir are very misinformed!!

Originally posted by StudChris View Post
          Oh and you need a federal license to carry on a plane. I believe anyone sworn in the US is "allowed" to get the license, but it's not easy to get.

??????????????
          There is no such animal.....
          certain federal agencies can carry on credentials...state and local on official business, with letterhead authorization, having completed the FAA "Flying while armed" course can also carry.
          "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

So that means I can't pack my Glock 21 to Cancun next month?!?! Son of a...

I kid I kid.

Comment

I didn't think that sounded right. It sounds like this lady is full of... well, you know.
              Last edited by Smolla126; 07-25-2008, 09:01 AM.
              Oh, yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it... or, learn from it!

Comment

She is "allowed" to? NO!

If she is somehow attempting to sneak a firearm through security screening (not likely to be successful), methinks that would call for a secondary screening (every time she flies), and if she is found to be carrying or concealing, arrest under Federal statutes. The FBI loves those.

"Yes sir, I know you have rights."
                "In fact, I know your rights better than you do!"

Comment

Can an off duty LEO check his firearm when going on a trip? Or does it have to be official business. Or...well, what I'm saying is, if I'm a LEO, I'm going on vacation w/ my family, how do I get my off duty carry to come with me?
                  "If the police have to come get you, they're bringing an @$$ kicking with them!"
                  -Chris Rock

Comment

Originally posted by GangGreen712 View Post
                    Can an off duty LEO check his firearm when going on a trip? Or does it have to be official business. Or...well, what I'm saying is, if I'm a LEO, I'm going on vacation w/ my family, how do I get my off duty carry to come with me?
                    Anyone can check a firearm... just check with your airline for their policy. Here's the policy from American Airlines, and their policy mirrors the federal requirements:

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...e/firearms.jsp
                    Effective with tickets purchased on/after September 24, 2007, American Airlines will no longer accept firearms in checked baggage to/from the United Kingdom (except for military/government personnel with proper documentation).

The information shown below pertains to travel within the United States only (unless stated otherwise). For information on the transportation of firearms and ammunition to international destinations, please contact Reservations.

General Information

* Firearms and ammunition are accepted as checked baggage only.
                    * Firearms will only be accepted if unloaded and in a locked, hard-sided container only (for example - rifle case).
                    * Ammunition must be packed in its original packaging. Loose ammunition or clips will not be accepted.
                    * Firearms may not be checked curbside.
                    * No one under 18 years of age may check a firearm.
                    * Pellet and BB guns are not considered firearms, and therefore, do not require any special handling or documentation.

Allowance

* Maximum per case is three rifles/shotguns or five pistols/revolvers, five lbs. ammunition, shooting mat, noise suppressors, and tools. There is no limit on the amount of cases allowed.
                    * Ammunition is limited to 11 lbs. per passenger.
                    * Based on the number of checked bags, fees may apply in addition to oversize/overweight charges. Visit the Baggage Allowance page for more information.
                    Keep in mind my following advice has only worked at CRP, DAL, DFW, LNK, OMA, MCI, SAT, AUS, HOU, IAH, and CLL

The best practice I have seen is to carry all ammo in the ammo box it came in, place that in your suitcase. Place your handgun in a hard sided case (I used the one that the gun came in) and have a lock with you, but not one of the TSA approved locks.

When you check in, go to the counter, you can NOT curbside with a firearm. Present your ticket and your credentials and tell the person that you are Officer so-and-so, with the so-and-so department, and that you have a firearm to declare in your checked luggage. They will ask to see the weapon, and you will have to show them that it is clear. They will give you a form that you'll place in the handgun case and tell you to put the case back in your luggage and take it to the TSA screener. Take it to the screener, after they have seen the weapon, give them the lock so the weapon can be locked. They will finish processing your luggage and send you to the boarding gates.
                    sigpic
                    Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

Originally posted by ROSchwoe
                      Exactly. Federal agents and Air Marshals are good to go. Local/State cops on official business with letter from agency head stating their business are good. Local prosecuting attorneys... not so much.
                      Federal Agents, all of them or only those of specific Bureau or Agencies?

FAM would be a no brainer, BATF & FBI I would understand but do you mean to say that ICE & USBP could too?

Just curious

Comment

Originally posted by Omega_556 View Post
                        Agency specific.....but I am pretty sure most say it's ok.....

At least everyone I know that is a FLEO is allowed to....maybe some small IG might not let their folks....but all the big ones do....

Comment

Originally posted by GangGreen712 View Post
                          On top of what TexasAggieOfc said....

One can also UPS weapons as well....as I have done that in the past when I was a local Officer traveling to DC all the time to be with the ex.....

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/res.../firearms.html

Comment

Originally posted by cajunguy View Post
                            She is "allowed" to? NO!

If she is somehow attempting to sneak a firearm through security screening (not likely to be successful), methinks that would call for a secondary screening (every time she flies), and if she is found to be carrying or concealing, arrest under Federal statutes. The FBI loves those.

I highly doubt she is attempting to "sneak" anything through. If she is caught with a weapon in the Terminal and/or coming through the security checkpoint, local charges will apply. The FBI does not normally prosecute federally for a weapons possession charge at the security checkpoint unless there are extenuating circumstances. TSA will assess civil penalties with a minimum fine of $2k, but possibly up to $7k. Local LEOs arrest for carrying a weapon where prohibited or unlawful carry (depending on permit status). Either way the weapon is seized and she gets arrested.

Any person can check a weapon with their checked baggage as long as they follow proper guidelines for weapons declaration and it is packaged properly.

As Bearcat and others have advised, Local & state LEOs must be on official business and have the necessary paperwork (departmental letterhead from Chief) and authorization to carry on the aircraft. Most federal agents are armed on aircraft at all times.

I have been an Airport LEO for going on seven years. I have never observed an attorney carrying armed on an aircraft, let alone in the Terminal. She is full of poo.
                            I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Originally posted by Omega_556 View Post

FAM would be a no brainer, BATF & FBI I would understand but do you mean to say that ICE & USBP could too?

Just curious
                              Why would you understand FBI and ATF, but not USBP or ICE? Does dealing with immigration related issues make us "lesser" federal agents? I saw on your profile that you are applying. You need to check your thinking before getting hired.
                              "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6009 users online. 321 members and 5688 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X