Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SammyCal1
    replied
    The noise is bothering you; therefore, you should sign a criminal or municipal ordinance complaint. The police is only going to document the complaint when you call. Do not call the police and think they are going to imediately take your side.

However, when you approach the neighbor in the manner inwhich you approached him, you made yourself into the bad guy.

Leave a comment:

• katseiye
    replied
    Good way to ramp a noise complaint to an assault. No, I dont care for noise complaints, but I'd rather intervene on that than have to report you getting mopped off the walk for not showing the common courtesy you seem to desire. Open the screen and stick your head in to b**ch ? WWYT ?

Leave a comment:

• StudChris
    replied
    OOOMMMMGGGGGGGGG.

With that said... get over it! I think every single person must first live in a college apartment complex as a prerequisite for living in any type of multi-family housing. You have two choices. 1) move out or 2) get the landlord to take care of things.

Leave a comment:

• Mabbottusmc
    replied
    find out his phone number, take a picture of his car and put an ad out in the auto trader for some super low price so everyone will call. Heh!

Leave a comment:

• hughb
    replied
    Well, this was interesting - they often have a person stay up there with them who I assumed was just another homeless guy. Tonight that person came by my apartment to literally beg me to not call the police again. He said he "talked" to them about it, which is funny because they treat him like a punk, (he's much more mild mannered and polite than they are), and that he handled it. He told me his name and said he was a DJ at a local radio station. His name isn't on the station's website and there's nothing in google with the station and his name on the same web page. LOL!

Leave a comment:

• LA DEP
    replied
    Originally posted by hughb View Post
    That's what one of the officers told me. She asked if I was willing to make a citizens arrest and I told her I would. She explained what a citizens arrest meant for me and I was willing to accept the responsibility. But that was before the officers heard their side of the story, and I assume that since my language, verbal and non-verbal, could be construed as threatening, they decided to not have me do it.

They have been cited for noise before, but there was no arrest.
    Something to consider before making a private persons arrest;

If the DA refuses to file the case, then YOU are now opening yourself up to a civil suit......false arrest, slander ect ect.....and in alot of cases (esp. considering your actions leading up to calling the police) you WILL lose the case......

also,,,,,NEVER EVER go banging on someones' door in the middle of the night.....as another LA cop pointed out above, you will be greeted with a shotgun if you do it to the wrong person......and then detained at gunpoint until the cops show up, and have YOU explain what you thought you were doing.......

Leave a comment:

• hughb
    replied
    Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
    You can (theoretically) be arrested for excessive noise.......its a misdemeanor.....

BUT, the guy making the phone call would be the one making the private persons arrest (and taking the civil liability for the arrest as well), not LE....we would simply accept the arrest from him, and refer the case to the DA or city attorney.

Some cities also have local ordinances about excessive noise, with some of them having civil fines for violations instead of a criminal complaint......

That's what one of the officers told me. She asked if I was willing to make a citizens arrest and I told her I would. She explained what a citizens arrest meant for me and I was willing to accept the responsibility. But that was before the officers heard their side of the story, and I assume that since my language, verbal and non-verbal, could be construed as threatening, they decided to not have me do it.

They have been cited for noise before, but there was no arrest.

Leave a comment:

• Woffski
    replied
    Do yourself a favor and move out ASAP!!!! This will be a problem for you until you do get out. The only good that can come out of that is someone getting in trouble.

Leave a comment:

• LA DEP
    replied
    Originally posted by ChopperCopper View Post
    And quit calling the police. Call the landlord. It's their job to handle, not ours. Unless, of course, Kalifornia has some stupid law that says you can't make noise in an apartment. Must be next to the one that says only U.S. citizens will go to jail for committing crimes and not ILLEGALS.

Wacky state.
    You can (theoretically) be arrested for excessive noise.......its a misdemeanor.....

BUT, the guy making the phone call would be the one making the private persons arrest (and taking the civil liability for the arrest as well), not LE....we would simply accept the arrest from him, and refer the case to the DA or city attorney.

Some cities also have local ordinances about excessive noise, with some of them having civil fines for violations instead of a criminal complaint......

Leave a comment:

• ChopperCopper
    replied
    And quit calling the police. Call the landlord. It's their job to handle, not ours. Unless, of course, Kalifornia has some stupid law that says you can't make noise in an apartment. Must be next to the one that says only U.S. citizens will go to jail for committing crimes and not ILLEGALS.

Wacky state.

Leave a comment:

• jakflak
    replied
    Keep in mind, "let's go outside" is a euphemism for fighting in our culture, regardless of how you meant it.

Leave a comment:

• hughb
    replied
    Thanks everybody. And thanks for having this message board, I really appreciate it.

There's an elderly tenant in my building who's son died a few years ago and I'm sort of his care taker now. I could still take care of him if I moved, but it would probably put him under stress if I weren't right there next door to him. Moving is not an option right now.

Kaps, maybe I'll start sending them pineapple/anchovie pizzas every night.

School Cop, With the home bust, I've seen new condos in high rise buildings drop under $400 a sq ft. But I ain't buying until I have the full purchase price. I don't trust the moneylenders.
    Last edited by hughb; 07-25-2008, 01:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• School Cop
    replied
    If noise bothers you, you should buy a house.

EDIT: Sorry, I just saw you're in San Diego; what is it, $1000/square foot there?

Leave a comment:

• PhilipCal
    replied
    Your situation went south, real fast. A large part of the problem was you. The only suggestion I could add to those of my colleagues, is that you consider moving.

Leave a comment:

• cajunguy
    replied
    When the noise starts, call the "Po-Po", and let the responding officers hear it for themselves.

Then let them handle it.

Keep a written record of the dates/times the police are called, and make the landlord aware of it. That way you build a case for possible eviction.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2704 users online. 117 members and 2587 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X