300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning firearms outside

For about the last 6-8 months, I've started cleaning my guns outside on the second story of my porch behind the house so I don't ruin any furniture inside with oil. The porch is screened in and sort of recessed into my house but I live on a canal and my neighbors across the canal are able to view into the area where I clean the guns (the canal is about 24-30ft wide). I've sort of obstructed the view but it's still possible for some of my neighbors to see from certain angles, some of them have kids and don't necessarily like me because my dog barks. I don't think they're able to see me breaking down my pistols but I have an AR-15 and a WASR type rifle which they probably can see. Should I be worried about a neighbor calling the 911 saying "there's a man with a machine gun behind my house!"?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by caseypj; 07-22-2008, 01:41 PM.

An unfolded newspaper will prevent you from ruining any furniture inside the house. I wouldn't do it simply because no one needs to know what kind of guns I have in my house. And yes, the cops may show up at your door.

Comment

Not a good idea, save yourself the trouble. I lay a sheet of plastic and an old paper target over my coffee table. It works.
      "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

This will save you any trouble in the future...
        sigpic

Comment

I just pull the towel off the rack in the bathroom.

I've never gotten the Hoppes all over..even with the brush. You are just asking for trouble cleaning them in view of anyone.
          Last edited by deputy x 2; 07-22-2008, 02:36 PM.
          This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

I agree with my colleagues. While you have every right to clean your weapons in the manner you described, why invite problems? Clean em inside. Spread the newspaper, use an old towel, etc. That way you won't needlessly "excite" the neighbors.

Comment

Nothing says " burglarize me" like displaying expensive firearms outside your house.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                I agree with my colleagues. While you have every right to clean your weapons in the manner you described, why invite problems? Clean em inside. Spread the newspaper, use an old towel, etc. That way you won't needlessly "excite" the neighbors.
                Theirs no balcony in the Bronx I cleaned my 38 in my home on top of the New York Daily News, gun oil no problem clean weapon YES!!!!!!!!!!
                Take care and stay safe!
                Ralph8119
                A Little Something Else For Those 60's & 70's Music Lovers On Line!
                sigpic
                http://www.myfreenetradio.com/listen70s.asx

A Cool Website On History In Photos Of The New York City Police Department!
                http://www.policeny.com/home.html

Policelink!
                http://policelink.monster.com/member/Ralph8119

Inside The New York City Police Academy!
                http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/pr/videos.shtml

Comment

Yes, you should be worried. You clean your guns too much.

Guns are like women. Unless they just went through hundreds of rounds you just need to get the lint off and lube the friction points.
                  And unless you like an audience you're much better off ruining the furniture.

(is there a "Best Of" here like on Craigs list? That was one of my better ones, god I amuse myself)
                  "Why is common sense so rare?" - Me

By the way.. They aren't "Clients" or "Customers" they're CRIMINALS... sheesh

Comment

Originally posted by 10-31Mike View Post
                    Yes, you should be worried. You clean your guns too much.

Guns are like women. Unless they just went through hundreds of rounds you just need to get the lint off and lube the friction points.
                    And unless you like an audience you're much better off ruining the furniture.

(is there a "Best Of" here like on Craigs list? That was one of my better ones, god I amuse myself)
                    Mikey 10-04!!!!!!!!
                    Take care and stay safe!
                    Ralph8119
                    A Little Something Else For Those 60's & 70's Music Lovers On Line!
                    sigpic
                    http://www.myfreenetradio.com/listen70s.asx

A Cool Website On History In Photos Of The New York City Police Department!
                    http://www.policeny.com/home.html

Policelink!
                    http://policelink.monster.com/member/Ralph8119

Inside The New York City Police Academy!
                    http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/pr/videos.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by caseypj View Post
                      For about the last 6-8 months, I've started cleaning my guns outside on the second story of my porch behind the house so I don't ruin any furniture inside with oil. The porch is screened in and sort of recessed into my house but I live on a canal and my neighbors across the canal are able to view into the area where I clean the guns (the canal is about 24-30ft wide). I've sort of obstructed the view but it's still possible for some of my neighbors to see from certain angles, some of them have kids and don't necessarily like me because my dog barks. I don't think they're able to see me breaking down my pistols but I have an AR-15 and a WASR type rifle which they probably can see. Should I be worried about a neighbor calling the 911 saying "there's a man with a machine gun behind my house!"?

Thanks in advance.

Put something under your guns, like I do... and everyone else does.

Comment

A closed garage is another excellent option.

Comment

Some people call the cops for EVERYTHING and believe it or not, RP's have been known to exagerate what's going on every once in a while. Clean them inside if you have any concerns about someone seeing you.
                          Walking the line...all give some...some give all!

Comment

Why do you let your dog bark?

Don't you know that is annoying?

Comment

Clean your guns when nobody is home to see you if you prefer outside. i clean mine inside a shed. Public view cleaning is risky because of nosey neighbors and crooks. All it takes is one person to run their mouth about your guns then the wrong person hears it and you have a burglary. This is america, and you have the right to do what you are doing but it is wise to keep it on the down low.
                              "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5548 users online. 341 members and 5207 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X