Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• telescoping night stick

hello everyone,

i live in st paul, mn and this question is for police in my area, or if this is a nation wide law i guess anyone could answer it... lol

i have been robbed 3 times in the past 6 months and its been in diffrent areas and at differnt time, once even in day light. i want to defend myself and was wonder about telescoping night sticks such as you, the officer, carry.

are they illegal? is it something i can carry on my belt and not have to worry about getting in trouble for?

ideas, answers and comments welcome. thank you all in advance.

In Texas, it would be illegal for you to carry it... Unlawful Carrying of a Weapon-Club.

This is what Minnesota law says:

609.66 DANGEROUS WEAPONS.
    Subdivision 1. Misdemeanor and gross misdemeanor crimes. (a) Whoever does any of the
    following is guilty of a crime and may be sentenced as provided in paragraph (b):
    (1) recklessly handles or uses a gun or other dangerous weapon or explosive so as to
    endanger the safety of another; or
    (2) intentionally points a gun of any kind, capable of injuring or killing a human being and
    whether loaded or unloaded, at or toward another; or
    (3) manufactures or sells for any unlawful purpose any weapon known as a slungshot or
    sand club; or
    (4) manufactures, transfers, or possesses metal knuckles or a switch blade knife opening
    automatically; or
    (5) possesses any other dangerous article or substance for the purpose of being used
    unlawfully as a weapon against another; or
    sigpic
    Let your watchword be duty, and know no other talisman of success than labor. Let honor be your guiding star in your dealing with your superiors, with your fellows, with all. Be as true to a trust reposed as the needle to the pole. Stand by the right even to the sacrifice of life itself, and learn that death is preferable to dishonor. ~ Gov. Richard Coke, October 4, 1876

Comment

i have been robbed 3 times in the past 6 months and its been in diffrent areas and at differnt time,
      Which one of them took your grammar skills?

Seriously, you don't need a baton. You need a rabbits foot, or a genie or something.

Getting robbed in multiple areas at multiple times says you appear to be a target, this is something you should think about.

M-11
      Last edited by M-11; 07-21-2008, 11:25 PM. Reason: Grammar, to allow for more effective sarcasm.
      “All men dream...... But not equally..
      Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
      but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
      for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

No batons allowed here... it would be seized and you may be cited for it.
        The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
        that we are all that stands between
        the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Illegal in TN unless the carrier is LEO or an armed guard with legitimate certification. I would think that someone bold enough to rob you in broad daylight would also be bold enough to carry a gun. Were these robbies "strong-arm" or was a weapon used? Carrying a stick to a knife or gun fight is a bad idea.
          I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

The baton would get you arrested for a felony here in CA....12020(a) PC....
            The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

What if he carried a big stick? Or one of those big wooden spoons? Or a golf club? I have to admit that regulation of clubs strikes me as a bit nanny-stateish.

Move to Indiana. You might not get mugged less, but at least you can carry caveman implements. That said, it IS a caveman implement, just one that telescopes, and there are a multitude of better options available.
              I miss you, Dave.
              http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                What if he carried a big stick? Or one of those big wooden spoons? Or a golf club? I have to admit that regulation of clubs strikes me as a bit nanny-stateish.

Move to Indiana. You might not get mugged less, but at least you can carry caveman implements. That said, it IS a caveman implement, just one that telescopes, and there are a multitude of better options available.
                If he carried a 'walking stick' and made sure NEVER to say 'its for my protection' (because then it is a 'weapon') then he would be fine here......

CA has a HUGE list of prohibited weapons under the penal code.....the irony is that while the baton would get you hooked for a felony, a firearm is a misdemeanor crime, except under certain circumstances.......

CA a 'nanny-state'?.....nahhhhhhh
                The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

If you are a responsible legal adult and your state allows you might want to do some firearms training and get a concealed weapons permit. Having an impact weapon as a defensive tool when the person who robs you is armed is not a good idea. As far as the asp baton itself it sucks compared to the old pr24's we used to carry but it's more accessible.
                  "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The MARINES don't have that problem." ....Ronald Reagan

Comment

What is the justification for being allowed to carry a firearm, yet a baton is a felony?? I dont get that. Is it just because of the 2nd amendment?

Comment

Originally posted by lionheartednyhc View Post
                      What is the justification for being allowed to carry a firearm, yet a baton is a felony?? I dont get that. Is it just because of the 2nd amendment?
                      You are not allowed to carry a firearm EITHER in CA....unless you have a CCW, which is next to impossible to get in alot of counties in CA.....

The baton is a felony because of the PC section it falls under.....not sure of the reasoning (if any) behind it......that same section also covers saps, blackjacks, brass knuckles and about 1000 other things......

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                        You are not allowed to carry a firearm EITHER in CA....unless you have a CCW, which is next to impossible to get in alot of counties in CA.....

The baton is a felony because of the PC section it falls under.....not sure of the reasoning (if any) behind it......that same section also covers saps, blackjacks, brass knuckles and about 1000 other things......
                        Most of us in California have never understood the logics, if there is any. A concealed Glock 27 is a misdemeanor and a collapsible baton is a felony. Oh well, we don't make the law we just enforce them.
                        Walking the line...all give some...some give all!

Comment

2 of the robberies where done by 2 or more people ganging up on me, and one was done with a knife which ended with me getting 16 stiches and a broken hand from punching the robber's lights out.

i havent been robbed since and i dont know what made me look like a easy target. i am not a little guy. i chalked it up to just a time frame of bad luck.

basicly, in my state i can have it, but if an officer stops me with it he can assume that i am going to use it for wrong doing, and charge me or cite me for having it? what would the charges i could face, or would it be just a ticket and a " dont have it again"?

Comment

Originally posted by lionheartednyhc View Post
                            No idea, but probably not a 2nd amendment issue. In Indiana you can have a baton in each hand, your shotgun slung over your back, a .44 magnum at both of your hips, and your rifle in the back window of your nearby pickup truck....but Chinese throwing stars are illegal.

Post the question in the "Ask a Member of the Legislature" and report back. Many of us would like to know, too.
                            I miss you, Dave.
                            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

I would have to agree that there is something about you that you need to look at as to why you are being robbed so many times. I have been to many countries and cities where I have walked around alone in good areas and found myself in bad areas and have never been robbed. There is something about you they are picking up on and you need to find out what it is. They aren't THAT stupid....they know an easy target from one to avoid.

As far as a weapon......they will just take it away from you and use it on you. How they would laugh if they beat your *** with your own weapon.

So you knocked one out and broke your hand in the process......not very smart to take yourself out of the fight when it just started.
                              "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass -- and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5673 users online. 318 members and 5355 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X