NEW Welcome Ad

Collapse

Leader

Collapse

since you guys have more experience what if any, are the flaws in this?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JNA0349
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2006

since you guys have more experience what if any, are the flaws in this?

Alcohol is referred to as a "social lubricant"
    7 of 10 Americans drink alcohol
    1 of those 7 are alcoholics
    for those of you incapable of simple math, 10% of Americans 21 or older (but lets be honest you and I both know, very few people wait till they are 21)
    40% of adult Americans have direct family experience with alcohol abuse.

54% of murders and attempted murders
    68% of manslaughters
    52% of rape/sexual assaults
    48% of robberies
    are alcohol related

There are 3 alcohol related fatalities per day in Florida alone
    1.4 million people were arrested for DUI/DWI in the US, but that didn't stop the 15,786 deaths in drunk driving cases.... Think it's going down?

drunk driving crashes in the US
    1997 457
    1998 510
    1999 518
    2000 515
    2001 555

It has been proven that drinking alcohol greatly increases your chances of getting cancer of the mouth, pharynx, larynx and esophagus

~ 1/1000 babies are born with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome today

90% of students drink alcohol
    55% are binge drinkers
    35% are frequent binge drinkers
    >20% are alcoholics of have some other diagnosable drinking disorder

for those of you who liked to complain about government finances....
    Leon County had to spend ~$61 million in 2000 fighting underage drinking
    there are 3077 Counties in the US, but for the benefit of the doubt lets take that figure and drop it down to $10 million county^-1

$10 million * 3077 counties = ~$30.7 billion, with very low estimates for amount spent per county. And that's fighting underage drinkers only

Want to know what the first stages of alcoholism are? Dependence on the mood altering ability of alcohol. Ie drinking to perk up, calm down, celebrate, mourn or to be sociable.

1400 college students age 18-24 die every year due to alcohol abuse. The average college student spends $900 dollars a semester on alcohol.

What are the motives for a person to lose control of him/herself, risk harming oneself, or others, and expose oneself to criminal or civil penalties, while pouring all that money into the pockets of corporate coffers?

For those of you who care about money and our environment

20% of corn produced goes to alcohol production. However the government subsidizes those farms $15 billion in total because more fossil energy is used to produce alcohol from corn, than alcohols calorific value.

Not only does it cost lives, cost money, it is costing us our environment

-SOURCES

Florida Alcohol and Drug Abuse Association
    Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
    MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving)
    9th Report on Carcinogens 2000 from the U.S. Department of Health and Human services

"Overview of Alcohol-Related Problems." Columbia U College of P and S. pp. 1-13. 14 Feb. 2001
    New York Times, Nov. 9, 2004 http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/09/ed...tml?oref=login
    Crit. Rev. Plant Sci. 23: 519-567 (2004)
    Last edited by JNA0349; 07-22-2008, 04:40 PM. Reason: everything posted are facts smartass
  • KapsFB
    Forum Member
    • May 2005

Those are shocking statistics.

Made me cough beer through my nose! Another inherent danger!!!
    sigpic
    Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
    And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

• TheKansan
      Forum Member
      • Mar 2008

I avoid alcoholic beverages at all costs. They serve no purpose in my life. I won't go so far as to demand they be banned, I will however say that a lot of problems would be solved if people exhibited self control when it comes to drinking.
      What is Perseverance?
      -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
      -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
      -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• TheKansan
        Forum Member
        • Mar 2008

btw, I'm almost 30 years old and haven't had as much as a beer in over 2 years. I can count the number of times I have had alcohol in my entire life on my 10 fingers. I have never been drunk in my life. I don't need alcohol to have a good time and enjoy myself. My grandfather (who passed away several years ago) spent 10+ years in prison for murder after a drunken bar fight got out of hand (he was an alcoholic). Neither of my parents ever drinks. None of my siblings drink. My family has had several bad alcoholics in it.
        What is Perseverance?
        -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
        -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
        -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• usmcrob
          Forum Member
          • Jan 2008

Interesting stats.... like to see where you got them

Comment

• Monty Ealerman
            Banned
            • Aug 2000

Yeah the obvious solution is to reinstate prohibition and resurrect Al Capone.

Ethanol is toxic.

There's too much, too often, and too long. Pick any two and you might get away with it. Pick all three and you very probably won't.

Comment

• pulicords
              "Retired"
              • Jan 2006

I'd say put up or shut up. Prove your statistics' by verifying where they came from. If you're a "student" as indicated on your profile, you really need to learn about verifying statements before posting them as "facts."
              "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

• e-man
                Bored
                • Apr 2005

My only problem with beer right now, is which one to drink tonight.
                I did 30 minutes on the treadmill, I need one of them light beers
                I got nothing for now

Comment

• e-man
                  Bored
                  • Apr 2005

My decision has been made-
                  Bells- Oberon Ale

Its pretty good
                  I got nothing for now

Comment

• DH21187
                    Banned
                    • Sep 2005

Okay, so what. Why post this? Are you looking for approval that daddy or mommy didn't give you for showing them this? I have seen what these statistics are in real life and I do not need them from a textbook to know them. And why would you insult the people here that they can't do math to understand your stats? You need to go back to class and continue to be a student, since you still have a lot of learning to do.

Comment

• usmcrob
                      Forum Member
                      • Jan 2008

Thank you for posting your sources.....and implying that we can't do simple math and are un-educated......

I know that alcohol abuse is a problem, I see it every night I go to work. I will also say that I am not an anti-alcohol, no-one should ever touch a drop, a sip of alcohol will kill you person either. If you want to drink, great, drink, just stay in your house, keep the weapons locked up, and don't drive anywhere. If you are out, get someone else to drive. Yes, alcohol is a poison. So is pretty much everything else, heck, even the air we breath will cause cancer, so what's next.....

Oh, and it was Dos XX and Budweiser Select for me......
                      Last edited by usmcrob; 07-22-2008, 09:55 PM. Reason: The beers posted are all facts....smartass

Comment

• BrickCop
                        He who speaks Truth
                        • Dec 2000

Originally posted by usmcrob
                        Thank you for posting your sources.....and implying that we can't do simple math and are un-educated......

I know that alcohol abuse is a problem, I see it every night I go to work. I will also say that I am not an anti-alcohol, no-one should ever touch a drop, a sip of alcohol will kill you person either. If you want to drink, great, drink, just stay in your house, keep the weapons locked up, and don't drive anywhere. If you are out, get someone else to drive. Yes, alcohol is a poison. So is pretty much everything else, heck, even the air we breath will cause cancer, so what's next.....

Oh, and it was Dos XX and Budweiser Select for me......
                        +1

Can you imagine if we banned everything that was potentially harmful? At least half of everything at your local Grocery Store would be banned. Every coffee shop, etc would be out of business.
                        Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

• Group 29

No doubt, we would have been better off if alchohol had never been invented, or become the social drug of choice for this country. But, it was, and it is.

It's too late now, and prohibition showed there is no point in closing the barn door after the horses have all run out.

It's too bad, because it sucks for the half dozen or so people I know who were minding their own business when they were killed by alcoholics doing the stupid things that alcoholics do.

Comment

• t150vsuptpr
                            Hell on Wheels
                            • Oct 2005

Some of that is partly why I don't drink.

Partly it's just that I don't need to alter my mind to enjoy life.

Lastly, I never found a drink that I really liked first time. If I have to let it "grow" on me or if it's an "aquired taste", it's too much work.

Give me coffee, lemonade, tea, or ice cold apple juice. IBC Creame Soda is good too.

Oh yeah ... A good cold glass of milk aint bad.
                            "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

• Resq14
                              RIP Seann1
                              • Oct 2002

My view:

Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die.

props to the Old Testament and Dave Matthews
                              All Gave Some - Some Gave All

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","data-tempid":"temp_14312_1475388990098_890","height":"65","title":"flower.gif","width":"72"}

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 19473 users online. 54 members and 19419 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...