300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affirmative action question?

Does LE hiring/promoting still involve affirmative action quotas?

Back when my dad was a sergeant, he went for a position as a lieutenant, and he had to take a written test which he scored highly on (number one or two on the list if I remember right...it was many years ago), and he didn't get the promotion though he scored well and had a lot of years on the department. He told me he lost the promotion due to affirmative action, that someone much further down on the list (number ten or so) got the promotion instead. He was so upset he never tried for another promotion again. I was just a kid when this happened...but I can still remember (quite vividly) what losing that promotion did to him. It hurt me to see it. He remained a sergeant until he retired several years later.

What are your thoughts on affirmative action? Does it cause reverse discrimination? Does it increase prejudice against women and minorities, or does it really "even the playing field" as we're supposed to believe?

Are standards (physical or other) lowered for women?

How do you feel about that? Does it create safety issues, resentment?

If you'd like to share any relevant personal experiences (good or bad), please share them here.

Thanks!
    Last edited by TERA; 07-21-2008, 03:08 AM.

When I was hired at one of the agencies I worked for they were looking for a woman to replace the one they had just lost. She was the only female on the department prior to quitting. The job was offered to me, a man instead of one of the three females who applied. From what I have seen when it comes to hiring affirmative action is not used in the manner you described. When it comes to promotion that could be a different story, but I don't know because I don't get into other peoples business to find out who was better qualified.
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

Originally posted by TERA View Post
      What are your thoughts on affirmative action? Does it cause reverse discrimination?
      No. It is legally impossible to discriminate against a white male. Only minorities can be discriminated against. Therefore "reverse discrimination" cannot possibly exist.

Does it increase prejudice against women and minorities, or does it really "even the playing field" as we're supposed to believe?
      It creates serious doubt about the "worthiness" of a newly promoted minority. That person may well fully deserve the promotion, but with affirmitive action, they now have to prove it.

Are standards (physical or other) lowered for women?
      Yes. Jennifer Grasso is living proof.

Comment

No. It is legally impossible to discriminate against a white male. Only minorities can be discriminated against. Therefore "reverse discrimination" cannot possibly exist.
        I don't necessarily agree with this one.

Let's say I put in for a departmental special team (which includes extra pay), and there are three officers on the interview panel. Two of the three interviewing officers rank me as the highest candidate for the team, but the third and highest ranking officer wants a different officer on the team. When asked why, his response is "the team needs to be more diverse." His selection had nothing to do with my seniority, experience, training, and interview results, but solely on the basis of his selected officer's ethnicity. That IS reverse discrimination in my book.

You cannot say that it does not exist, because there are a wide range of statistics on it and legal (and law) definitions of what it is.
        I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Nope. Does not exist. Because if it did exist, it would violate the 14th Amendment and Title VI of the Civil Rights Act.

It is a tongue in cheek response. I am being a smart ***. After the last promotion process, our Union rep approached me about "grieving" the process. I asked if it has ever been successfully contested. He replied, "Yes." I clarified my question by asking if a white male ever successfully contested it, to which he replied, "No." I considered being gay for a day so I would have better legal standing, but could not bring myself to do it.

Comment

Cincinnati, Ohio P.D. sets aside half of their recruit vacancies for minority candidates.

Being #1 or #2 on the test helps, but it does not mean that you will automatically be promoted. You also look at performance history, education, decision making ability, personnel files, etc. Depending on the dept., promotions may come from the top three, top five, top ten, whatever they have established as their list. Your dad may have been passed over because of his race; he may have been passed over because of things you don't know about.

In general I think affirmative action increases prejudice because in some departments when a minority is hired (or promoted) the street cops are wondering if the person being hired actually earned it and deserves to be hired or if someone is playing politics. In that respect minority candidates really have to prove that they deserve to be where they are at.

That said, most departments would love to have more qualified minority candidates.

Comment

I assure you that affirmative action programs are alive and well.

Comment

From what I have seen regular discrimination is still common place in many suburban and rural police departments, though they will never admit it. Once the have their token minority or female, they no longer feel the need to hire any others, regardless of how well qualified they are.
                What is Perseverance?
                -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

As a minority, I hate to think that I am limited to working in big city PD's because they are the only places that consistently hire minorities, but that is the truth. I have seen less qualified white applicants hired over minority applicants time and time again.
                  What is Perseverance?
                  -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                  -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                  -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3145 users online. 151 members and 2994 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X