Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Truck driver KILLS 3 in MO so he MUST be charged, right?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck driver KILLS 3 in MO so he MUST be charged, right?

Hello to all you cops and salutations for doing such a great job protecting us. I'd like your feedback on this. A truck driver just wasn't paying attention and RAN OVER 10 cars killing 3 people and injuring more than 10 others!! It was a horrific and grisly scene! The front car was just totally pancaked so just imagine the horrific deaths those people had to endure!

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...1?OpenDocument

The bottom line is this driver was negligent and MUST be charged with 3 counts of vehicular homicide. You must have accountability and responsibility especially when you're at work. If you just let him go then other truck drivers can relax in knowing if they just run over and KILL someone they can get a free pass just by saying "Sorry, I wasn't paying attention".

This truck driver didn't even stop when he plowed into the cars!! He just kept going killling more people!!

So, men in blue, don't you agree with me he must be prosecuted to the fullest extent or at least 3 counts of vehicular homicide?

P.S. One more person has died so he killed 3 eventhough the article says 2.

Maybe we should let the investigation take its course. All we know is that for unknown reasons, a truck hit some cars and people died. The article is basically echoing the sentiments of the community and is thus biased.

I'll just say it doesn't look good.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Nothum said authorities "have a very good idea" of what took place before the crash and why it happened, but said it wouldn't be prudent to disclose the likely cause until the investigation was finished. He said authorities would meet today with prosecutors to discuss possible charges.
      Based on the information contained within the very article you posted it would be prudent to allow the investigating agency come to a professional opinion of whether or not prosecution is warranted.

There are a number of factors that could have led to this unfortunate incident. Don't jump to conclusions. We pay for professionals to do their work. Let them do so!
      Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

But you can's just excuse someone such tremendous negligence to the point it KILLS 3 people!! This should be a no-brainer that he must be charged regardless otherwise you're setting a precedent where truck drivers and other drivers will know if they ram into people killing them they can just get off by saying "Oops, I made a mistake".

You need to be accountable for your own actions especially when you're at WORK. I bet you'd feel differently if you or one of your loved ones had been the victim, right?

Comment

How can I break this to you gently......Accidents happen, and sometimes people die as a result of them. Yes, it's true.

However tragic this event is to you, it happens on a daily basis. Statistics tell us that it probably happened somewhere in the U.S. in between the 7+ hours it took to start this thread and the time it took you to respond. And guess what? People don't always get charged with vehicular homicide. Like the Sarge and I have already told you, let the investigation take its course. Prejudging this matter will only lead to disappointment on your end.

BTW, I've dealt with this, not personally but professionally. There are a ton of factors that could've been involved. That's why no one here will automatically go for blood because of a traffic fatality that you may have first hand knowledge of.

I think it's irrelevant whether I were a victim, or a family member of a victim, but I'll play your little game just this once. If I were involved, I would be biased and thus could not conduct a fair investigation. I'd want an instant conviction, no jury, no investigation, no due process. That sound familiar?
          Last edited by LeanG; 07-19-2008, 01:16 PM. Reason: clear up confusion

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Originally posted by Robocop007 View Post
            Hello to all you cops and salutations for doing such a great job protecting us. I'd like your feedback on this. A truck driver just wasn't paying attention and RAN OVER 10 cars killing 3 people and injuring more than 10 others!! It was a horrific and grisly scene! The front car was just totally pancaked so just imagine the horrific deaths those people had to endure!

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...1?OpenDocument

The bottom line is this driver was negligent and MUST be charged with 3 counts of vehicular homicide. You must have accountability and responsibility especially when you're at work. If you just let him go then other truck drivers can relax in knowing if they just run over and KILL someone they can get a free pass just by saying "Sorry, I wasn't paying attention".

This truck driver didn't even stop when he plowed into the cars!! He just kept going killling more people!!

So, men in blue, don't you agree with me he must be prosecuted to the fullest extent or at least 3 counts of vehicular homicide?

P.S. One more person has died so he killed 3 eventhough the article says 2.
            ... etc ...

The driver of the tractor-trailer "basically ran over several vehicles," Sgt. Al Nothum of the Missouri Highway Patrol said at a news conference near the crash site. The semi stopped with a car lodged in front of it and left a trail of nine wrecked vehicles behind, at least one pushed onto its side and others crushed beyond recognition.

... etc ...

The driver, Jeffrey R. Knight, 49, of Muscle Shoals, Ala., who works for Holmes Transportation, was not injured. He was questioned at the Highway Patrol headquarters in west St. Louis County for several hours Tuesday.

... etc ...

Frank Steinhoff, 27, said he was driving next to the semi, which he estimated was going about 75 mph. The truck didn't slow as it approached the stopped traffic, he said.

... etc ...
            Don't know the laws in Mo. Here, judging by the sketchy info, sounds like he would maybe face three charges of manslaughter, a reckless driving, maybe others. What is the speed limit? What warning signs had he passed. How solid is this guy saying he was running 75? What was logbook showing? Was there a long period of self imposed sleep / rest depredation? Weather?

Many questions to ask.

BUT ... if it's determined there was a medical emergency beyond his control, etc, that lead to his running over those poor folks stuck in traffic, the resultant deaths would not alone justify charges. We, nor Mo., charges based on results, it's the actions that lead to those results that are looked at to determine whether or not charges are placed, and if so .... what they are.

I had one a few years ago very simular, busy holiday weekend, traffic backed up from a bottleneck that occurs at a point 6 miles ahead where major intersection is on usually this one night (Sunday after Thanksgiving). Truck topped grade at 67 mph in a 65 zone, driver momentarily allowed himself to be distracted by a cruiser on roadside with another minor fender bender, and ran over a car killing one. Trooper watched it unfold powerless to stop it. I responded and worked it. Driver said he was going limit and just looked over at police car as he topped grade and didn't notice traffic stopped until it was too late. Download from truck showed 67. Trooper had visually estimated speed as 60-65 as it passed his car. No "gross negligence", just "ordinary negligence" so only charge was reckless driving, he did get a year and pulled 6 months here locally, his family visited weekly.

Nice guy really, just a moment's distraction at a bad time. He sat and bawled like a baby when he learned that the driver died while rescue wqs trying to pry the car from around him. Victim's family wanted him tried for murder, but it wasn't murder. It was tragic, but it was reckless driving at most. Nothing was going to bring their son / brother back ...
            ... or satisfy them.

Originally posted by LeanG
            I think it's irrelevant whether I were a victim, or a family member of a victim, but I'll play your little game just this once. If I were involved, I would be biased and thus could not conduct a fair investigation. I'd want an instant conviction, no jury, no investigation, no due process. That sound familiar?
            That's right, followed by a legal hanging.
            Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 07-20-2008, 10:01 PM.
            "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

But you can's just excuse someone such tremendous negligence to the point it KILLS 3 people!!

And, you base your opinion on what? Don't be so presumptuous as to think negligence was the cause.

This should be a no-brainer that he must be charged regardless otherwise you're setting a precedent where truck drivers and other drivers will know if they ram into people killing them they can just get off by saying "Oops, I made a mistake".

Again, what rule of law are you basing your opinion? This could very well be something out of the hands of the involved driver. True, we are responsible for our actions; but, prosecution is based on law, not emotions!

You need to be accountable for your own actions especially when you're at WORK. I bet you'd feel differently if you or one of your loved ones had been the victim, right?

True, we all need to be accountable. And, you need to re-evaluate your preposterous lack of emotional control. If the truck driver is in violation of any act of law, I am certain the Georgia State Patrol will do their duty and recommend a prosecution of the offender. By the way, when were you appointed the judge in such matters? Your final statement is a ludicrous mix of silliness and stupidity. How do you know some of us have not been in similar circumstances? Show some maturity and don't react simply from emotion. React from knowledge and common sense.
              Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Fine, let's say it wasn't negligence. Then it's even WORSE. He was the influenced by drugs/alcohol, etc. however all the initial reports say he wasn't drinking or on drugs.

The ONLY reason he should maybe not be charged if there was a massive mechanical failure such as brakes totally failed but even all the auto experts say in that case you should avoid the heavy traffic, downshift, and turn off the ignition. All the initial reports don't indicate any type of mechanical problem.

Every other reason there is a basis for a charge. I can't believe you cops are saying this. You more than anyone should be all for charges. Hypothetically if this guy gets off then ANYONE can just run right over several cars, kill people, and say "Oh, I didn't break any laws because it was an accident." What a cop-out!! (No pun intended) That's a total JOKE!!

Comment

Emotion is clouding your ability to comprehend, it's a human trait. Anger will do it also, as will fear, etc.
                  Originally posted by Robocop007
                  Every other reason there is a basis for a charge. I can't believe you cops are saying this. You more than anyone should be all for charges. Hypothetically if this guy gets off then ANYONE can just run right over several cars, kill people, and say "Oh, I didn't break any laws because it was an accident." What a cop-out!! (No pun intended) That's a total JOKE!!
                  Not at all. Read the responses.

We do not place charges based solely on the resultant injury.

We do not place charges based on emotion.

We place charges based on the law as written.

It is not unusual to place charges in a serious wreck like this several weeks or even months later, after one has his ducks all lined up and after it's determined how many survived versus not survived injuries, after blood tests results are back, and after ME's reports are back.

I've even seen charges held up a week or two because the lead investigator went on that long planned family vacation or on sick leave between the event and charge/indictment, etc.
                  "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

But you can's just excuse someone such tremendous negligence to the point it KILLS 3 people!! This should be a no-brainer that he must be charged regardless otherwise you're setting a precedent where truck drivers and other drivers will know if they ram into people killing them they can just get off by saying "Oops, I made a mistake".

No one is proposing the truck driver get a pass. What has happened is a major accident involving both death and serious injury. These accidents take some time to investigate, and the investigation of neccessity must be thorough and painstaking. When the investigation is complete, the Missouri Highway Patrol will submit it's findings to the District Attorney. The DA will make the decision to prosecute based on the Highway Patrol findings. Presently, there are numerous factors to be investigated. What the authorities cannot afford to do, is resort to a rush to judgement. These replies probably won't satisfy you, but they are representative of the real world we live in.

Comment

Fine, let's say it wasn't negligence. Then it's even WORSE. He was the influenced by drugs/alcohol, etc. however all the initial reports say he wasn't drinking or on drugs.

The ONLY reason he should maybe not be charged if there was a massive mechanical failure such as brakes totally failed but even all the auto experts say in that case you should avoid the heavy traffic, downshift, and turn off the ignition. All the initial reports don't indicate any type of mechanical problem.

Hmm. My male partners here are way nicer than I am. Here's the deal. We weren't there. The investigation is being completed. If it fits a violation of the law, he'll be charged. YOU don't know what happened anymore than those of us on the internet, but you're becoming so emotional you're not clearly thinking. Unfortunately, we see this sort of thing fairly frequently and can't afford to become emotional like that.

Now. You don't know if the truck malfunctioned, you don't know if the driver was having a seizure, you don't know if he was under the influence of an impairing substance. Allow those in control to do the investigation becuase that's all you CAN do.

Coming on a LE website to rant and rave isn't going to change the reality. You asked a question and you got answers...just not the ones you wanted.
                      sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Why are you so worked up over something you've read in the paper? A rather unnatural reaction....

Comment

Originally posted by ofc129a View Post
                          Why are you so worked up over something you've read in the paper? A rather unnatural reaction....
                          I take that exit all the time so the accident/deaths happened very close to me. Plus I saw all the horrific coverage on TV and the talk on the radio, etc.

That's one of the reasons I'm furious is because I know that quite easily could've been me but regardless you guys are just giving excuse after excuse as to why he might not be able to be charged.

Did you guys read in the article that several people called the highway patrol to ask why the driver wasn't arrested immediately? So, it's not just me.

You all KNOW how prosecutors work. If they want to charge somebody they will. They'll find a way and the evidence speaks for itself. Not even the truck driver denies he ran over all those people.

It's pretty obvious he was speeding so that's breaking the law. When you KILL someone while you break the law that has got be a pretty serious charge or there's something really wrong with our system.
                          Last edited by Robocop007; 07-19-2008, 06:01 PM.

Comment

I take that exit all the time so the accident/deaths happened very close to me. Plus I saw all the horrific coverage on TV and the talk on the radio, etc.

That's one of the reasons I'm furious is because I know that quite easily could've been me but regardless you guys are just giving excuse after excuse as to why he might not be able to be charged.

Did you guys read in the article that several people called the highway patrol to ask why the driver wasn't arrested immediately? So, it's not just me.

You all KNOW how prosecutors work. If they want to charge somebody they will. They'll find a way and the evidence speaks for itself. Not even the truck driver denies he ran over all those people.

It's pretty obvious he was speeding so that's breaking the law. When you KILL someone while you break the law that has got be a pretty serious charge or there's something really wrong with our system.
                            I know I'm wasting my time, but then it's mine to waste. Personally, I'm glad you're not the one making the decision to prosecute/not prosecute. Back up, chill out, let the professionals do the job you're paying them to. You're running on raw emotion, compounded by a pretty liberal dose of ignorance. Regardless of your feelings, the law will take it's course. It's not a perfect system to be certain, but it beats the crap out of the lynch mob you'd like to lead.

Comment

Nobody is giving excuses, we're giving REASONS. You posted asking us for feedback, and now you're getting ****y because you're not getting the reaction you want. If you're going to react to everything like an emotional 3 y/o, please change your screenname from "robocop" so the civilians don't think you're one of us.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5681 users online. 356 members and 5325 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X